New Calendar and Honorarium process

As most of you know we have a new calendar system and we are working to add it to the main website but you can currently access it at https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org

I have created some instructions to help with the process but it should be pretty straight forward.

If you have classes on the current calendar I urge you to re enter them onto the new calendar. All previously approved honorariums will still be honored so you can just put it in as a regular class. IF your class is 10 or more days out please enter it into the new system with the honorarium request at the bottom of the page.

With this new calendar system we also approved a new honorarium process that will hopefully alleviate a lot of issues that our previous system had.

1. The hosting member is required to provide a current W-9 form for the instructor prior to
    requesting non-committee- designated honorarium or teaching non-free classes.
  2. Approved classes will be eligible for a $50 honorarium to be paid to a single instructor.
  3. To be eligible for the honorarium, classes must be submitted to the calendar and honorarium
    system for approval at least 240 hours in advance of the class.
  4. Honorarium is granted unless pulled by a director or appointed volunteer within 72 hours of
    submission.
  5. Classes must be attended by at least 3 registered people to be eligible for payout.
  6. For every class eligible for payout, $50 will be given to the committee designated by the
    hosting member.
  7. Honorarium can be forgone by the hosting member and designated to a committee.

Some things that are not currently working but will be coming in the near future.

• Copy event (if you teach a class you frequently you can pull up a previous version, change the date and be on your way)
  • Assign AD group after class (for classes with limited access like laser basics and such)
  • Text reminders (can receive an update that your class is happening)
  • Event rejection reasons (know why your honorarium or class was rejected)
  • Financial tools (w9 download, export for admins)
  • Post-event questionnaire ( follow ups to evaluate instructors)

If you have any issues please let me know.

Edit: Link to old honorarium form to submit for reimbursement. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1HFoGOFsRz4ep9fJP8-4s-fDpmT0hTNeTybJDzoS_rgA/viewform?edit_requested=true2.

Edit2: Old calendar address https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=dallasmakerspace.org_6ipmavoef85vn59hlsbhgei4ok%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/Chicago

10 Likes

May want to change this part. For instance, I am teaching two transmitter build classes that have a fee, but the fee is going directly to Electronics. Teacher shouldn’t need to file W-9 in a case like that.

You could fix it by changing 1. to this:

The hosting member is required to provide a current W-9 form for the instructor prior to
requesting non-committee- designated honorarium or recieving any part of the fees charged for classes.

The calendar system does not require a w-9 unless you select honorarium but we can update that at the next board meeting.

1 Like

W-9 (or really, 1099’s) should only include amounts from checks made out to
instructors. Where we need to be careful is if a check is made out to a
person who then turns around and donates the money back to DMS. Or if a
check is cut to a person who is being reimbursed for supplies. Both of
these folks should still be 1099’d. It’s up to them to justify the expense
on their tax return.

The simple way to look at it is this; If you don’t want to be 1099’d for
teaching or whatever, make sure the check isn’t made out to you.

Warning, I’m not an actual CPA. Just been around that kind of thing a lot.

-Steve

In order to teach, it sounds like you still need to:
(a) get the class approved via the board
(b) put it on the NEW calendar system
© send the pre-approval email to the honorarium team (only if you want honorarium for yourself and/or your committee)

Did I get this right?

Thanks.

1 Like

So do we have to pay income taxes based on 1099 earnings for being reimbursed for class materials? I get paying taxes on the honorarium, but are reimbursements being included as earnings, too or are reimbursements broken out somehow on the 1099? Kinda doesn’t seem right to pay income tax on that same money as income twice.

No, you create an event on the calendar (new), and the approval process for the event and the honorarium take place within the new system. You don’t need to send any emails, or seek approvals elsewhere. Just monitor the calendar for results. You do need to submit a W9 if you wish to receive an honorarium personally. No W9, no money. The sponsoring committee is part of the creation form. and can name you as a contact (teacher).

Reimbursements - dunno, Should not be considered income if you submit receipts for approved expenses, and should not be handled as part of the honorarium process, but they still working all this out, But it’ll mess up their books if they try to treat it as a payment for services, It’s an expense,

1 Like

Not exactly.

1. Put it in the new calendar system at least 10 days out.
  2. Wait 72 hours. If no one from the board (possible other members) denies the request for honorariums in that 72 hours it is considered approved and goes live to the calendar.
  3. Make sure people register and take your class.

No more emails to the board. No real extra steps.

If you don’t require honorarium the class must be 48 hours out.

4 Likes

If no news is good news, how do we know if honorarium or the class as a whole is rejected within the 72 hrs? Does it not show up on the calendar until approved, or does it disappear off the calendar within 72 hrs or do we get a rejection email or…?

D’oh! …copy…it doesn’t go live to the calendar unless it’s approved, so monitor the calendar to see if it shows up.

That’s AMAZEBALLS! Thanks for all your hard work…this couldn’t have been easy!

2 Likes

If it is rejected you will receive an email stating so in the near future with the reason why it was rejected.

3 Likes

Can we “standardize” language at “240 hours”, especially since we tend to use the “hours” measure elsewhere…

And Great work!
So happy to see it arrive!

1 Like

Very easy - good job. And now I see that the new process is already updated in the Wiki. Kudos!! Thanks!

2 Likes

This is both about the new system and the old one. I know that the checks are written on Sun and mailed on Mon. But when is the class cut off for a week? I taught a class on a Sun afternoon, then one on the next Tue, then one on the next Sat. I got the check for the first class, I hope the other one comes the next couple of days. Just trying to know when to expect then (mailbox on house) so not secure,

Thanks

someone asked me over Facebook and I wasn’t sure how to answer -
They are teaching but aren’t a member of Dms. How do they obtain a Dms login so they can put things on the calendar?

@AlexRhodes

Ps to everyone who worked on this - I haven’t used it yet but it’s apparent lots of time and effort went into this. I know it probably took forever and actually eases up the congestion that was all the labor as it was in the past.

1099’s only have one blank for the amount paid to a person. If you end up being 1099’d for a reimbursement then you will need to show the initial expense on your part on your taxes to offset. In other words, the burden is on you to prove that it wasn’t actually income. It’s much cleaner for students (or DMS) to pay for supplies directly and to keep yourself out of the loop if you don’t want to mess with the complication on your own taxes.

3 Likes

That’s good to know! Thanks, Steve.

Does a DMS member have to sponsor classes taught by outside folks? I saw that sponsor field on the new calendar system new class/event entry portion, so I guess the sponsor would submit the class/event to the calendar, right?

3 Likes

Correct, they would need to work with a member to put in the class. A long standing rule was that a person had to have a member sponsor the class. This is now enforced.

2 Likes

So do we no longer have the ability to use Eventbrite for our ticketing for paid classes?

I really like their ticketing process, since I have the ability to ask additional questions during the ticket purchase process. For example, when someone signs up for my Dye Sub 101 class, I need to know what size t-shirt they want.

Also, there doesn’t seem to be a way to limit the number of paid tickets available for a class. That is a requirement in my mind if you are going to be selling tickets through this calendar system.