Photoshop Classes (Teachers)

I’ve been approached by a few people who know Photoshop and want to possibly teach a class, yet the disappear on me. If you are the photographer I briefly spoke to last night and then disappeared, please get in touch with me.

If you want to teach anything in Photoshop, please get in touch with me. I’m perfectly fine with handing over the reigns to other people. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@artnerdray forget photoshop classes! I wanna know how to do that disappearing trick!!!

But yeah, Photoshop classes would be cool too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@mattarmstrong Im not sure how the other guy did it but I disappear by not showing up or answering my phone :slight_smile:

I have a Photoshop class set for next Saturday at 12. Also an Illustrator class this Saturday at 12 for those who are interested.

I’m interested in teaching photoshop basics. I also want to tech a air brush 101 class. please get in touch with me.

Thank you

Rio

1 Like

Cool!!

If you have taught before and are a member at the makerspace you probably already know all you need.

If not I can help guide you on that. I really do appreciate you offering to do this as I can’t do it consistently right now.

No I haven’t taught here before, I don’t know where to start. I am a member of dallas maker space. where do I go to start this, that way I can plan in advance to teach this class.

Thank you

Rio

Ok there’s a few things I recommend you decide on before adding a class to the schedule.

Decide if it is a lecture or follow along tutorial. If tutorial make a zip of any relevant files and make it possible to share them (thumb drive, dropbox, anything)
Decide the main subject and leave time for questions.
If someone says they do it differently, learn how they do it and let em know there are several ways in photoshop to do the same thing. Pearhaps mention why you do it this way. :slight_smile:
Decide how long the class will be
Pick a day and time where you can get a decent turn out.
Get in a half hour early because you may need to rearrange the room and set up your laptop to a TV or the projector. (if you don’t know how to do this practice this a few days before the class so you know how to do it)

When scheduling a class if you choose to get an honorarium please send the extra amount to Creative Arts.

For creating a class there has been a new system created. You’ll find good info on how to submit the class here. New Calendar and Honorarium process

My recommendation. Check the calendar to see if there is or not a class already taking place in the room and time you want. If so, you will need to choose a different room or time. I recommend the Purple or Interactive class rooms for tutorials that the class will follow you in. But if you want to just talk, either of those and the lecture hall would work.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/calendar/
You create a class by going to this site and clicking on “Add Event”

1 Like

Excellent I have created the event, but it doesn’t show up on the list. it is because its too far close to the event? I put it up ten days from the listing for the event. does some one need to approve it, and who do I ask. also I’m still not sure how the honorarium works. so I just picked a class room, and lecture hall.

Thank you
Rio

1 Like

With the new event system it is hard to say how long it will be before it is on the schedule but yes normally it will need to be approved before you will see it on the calendar.

The honorarium is a way of thanking you for taking the time to teach a class and also sponsoring a department in the makerspace. It pays you $50 and ask you to select which department gets $50 as well. Since you are teaching Photoshop this would be related to Creative Arts. Because you are getting a little income there is a tax form you need to fill out to make sure that everything is covered. You can however just forward your $50 share to the department so they would get $100. I usually do a mix, sometimes keep $50 sometime send it forward but it really is up to you. You are helping people learn and it is appreciated.

There are limits though. You have to give the 10 day notice as you did. And at least 3 people attend. And a few other things. Please look into in on the link. I shared earlier.

1 Like

Are they not showing up in the prescribed 72 hours?

1 Like

I’d expect a few bumps and hiccups with anything new but didn’t know about the 72 hrs thanks

1 Like

72 hours is also the window for classes submitted for honorarium to be question or rejected.

I am not sure if there is an appeals process in the this release. An appeals process would let you justify your class or correct items (like missing curriculum), but still keep your calendar date. The other alternative is resubmitting the class, but with a new 10 day window

Much of this will be settled in just a few months as we test it out. the new system is pretty awesome, and makes things easier for everyone: teachers, students, admins, approvers.

4 Likes