Woodshop Training Requests Q3 2022

Once upon a time, in a thread far, far away, @IanLee said

Let’s centralize all training requests and class postings to consolidated, quarterly posts.
If you’d like a class, post it here. (mods, feel free to merge new topics into one post each quarter.)
If you’re posting a class for a certain date, announce it here.
Please remember that all classes are taught by volunteers who are giving up their own making time to teach. Woodshop and Lathe basics classes typically ask for a $10 donation to Woodshop to help cover supplies and maintenance costs.
If you’re unable to make classes repeatedly, you’re always welcome to ask for 1-1 training and / or offer teachers an incentive (like cash, rare wood, snacks, or otherwise.)
Mods is it possible to pin this in the Woodshop category?

EZ link to prior thread:

2 Likes

Hi All - I’ve added two turning classes for Saturday the 9th:

Lathe Basics - 11:00 AM -12:30 PM
Making a small bowl - 1:30 PM - 5:30 PM

Should be on the calendar later today. Hope to see you there!

2 Likes

I’ve been wanting to take a Woodshop class all summer while I’m off from teaching but I’ve either had a conflict or the class is full. Do cancellations show up in the calendar immediately or should I just show up and hope there’s a no show? I live 1 1/2 hours away so it’s not easy to just pop in and see.

Brenda,

Yes, this is typical advice/approach, but I gather it is difficult for you because of distance.

If you have any app or software capable of setting a daily reminder, e.g. Alexa, Outlook, etc., I suggest setting something up so you can check this link (DMS calendar filtered on “large woodshop tools”) at least once a day:

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/?tool=47

Also, don’t just rely on the title that says “FULL”. If there have been any cancellations that indicator does not go away. You will sometimes find when you click into a class that it does still have openings due to cancellations.

1 Like

Looks like @skyspook checked in a fix for said “Full” classes issue very recently: https://github.com/Dallas-Makerspace/calendar/pull/135

BIG thanks to Justin for doing this. Has it been implemented on the live end?

I’m currently preparing a build and a new ec2 instance for a deployment. I’ll make sure everyone knows when it goes live :slight_smile:

6 Likes

So, should I hold off on paying dues and such until I find a class?

Some do that, others join and learn other areas as classes become available - it is really up to you on what you are planning on using the space for. There are tons of things to do/learn at the space, the woodshop is just one small [and fun] corner.

I try to have 3-4 Woodshop classes a month, and we occasionally have other teachers help [and always looking for more]. I’ll be adding the August classes as soon as I figure out my family/work schedule - when I add them I’ll post an announcement here:

1 Like

There are a few Woodshop Basic Classes up - if you need a class sign up quickly.

Mon, July 25 - Events | Dallas Makerspace Calendar ← TODAY
Wed, July 27 - Events | Dallas Makerspace Calendar
Wed, Aug 3 - Events | Dallas Makerspace Calendar

And for anyone wanting to use the Wood Lathes:
Sat, July 30 - Events | Dallas Makerspace Calendar

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Assistance on the Laser Cutters

Just added a Small Bowl on the lathe class for Sunday, August 21st 11 AM -3 PM. It should be on the calendar about 2:00 PM Wednesday.

1 Like

Lathe basics class for this coming Saturday 9/3 11-12:30P should be on the calendar by Tuesday for those interested.

1 Like

Brand new member needing to be authorized on Woodshop machines as soon as possible. I am well-experienced, have been woodworking for 20+ years so you would have an “easy” trainee. Would be willing to trade snacks for ease and expediency of scheduling this so I may start to use the machines. Thanks.

Am an easy/experienced student for Woodshop Safety training. Monetary and snack incentives are on the table.

Also a new member looking for the woodshop training. I own and have experience with most of the machines; only one I have never used is a jointer. Also willing to pay whatever is reasonable to get faster access to the machines.

I am also requesting wood shop training. The Sept 8 filled and I have conflicting college courses on Tu/Th evenings. I own and am familiar with usage and safety of a sawstop, band saw, miter saw, planer, etc. I have also reviewed the material in the wiki.

Douglas, Travis and J, can any of you make a shop class this Fri, Sept 2, 6pm ish?

2 Likes