Thoughts on developing and running a class

While helping several teachers-to-be develop electronics classes, I throw out quite a few suggestions. I’ve been asked to make a list which follows. Some items may be controversial. I look forward to your view. Let’s be civil and expand this thread into a list of additional things that we think is useful in developing and running a class. Much of this, like slide presentation info, may not apply to other areas. I hope some thoughts here may be helpful.

When you are ready to submit a class, ask yourself, “Am I willing to drive to DMS on a cold wet night while I feel crummy to teach one person that may not show up?” If not, don’t post the class.

Check if a similar class has been presented previously. Talk to the teacher. Try to offer a complementary class. Talk to the chair of the appropriate committee.

When you plan a class define:

Subject - what can be presented in available time
Audience - beginner, advanced, experience recommended
Hands on??
Who furnishes parts?
Student software installation?

Set a limit on class size according to room size and how many students you can support on projects, if any.

The announcement should specify what to bring. If a USB port is required specify something like, “Laptop with USB port or dongle.” Many of the new thin PCs do not have a USB but USB dongles are available.

The announcement should mention whether it class will be beginner, intermediate or advanced.

I like to include, “You will leave with the knowledge, documentation and parts list to acquire parts and repeat or expand the exercises at home.” In my case, the documentation is in the presentation.

Include DMS id or email in announcement.

Prepare an outline and work from it.

When the presentation is in near final form, turn on your phones voice recorder and go through the class from start to finish. You will go through the material faster here than in a classroom environment. It really helps to identify where you tend to throw in too many words or go off topic too far.

Prepare your to-go bag the day before the class. It should contain everything you need to carry to class.

Arrive at DMS at least 45 minutes before scheduled start time. Begin set up as soon as the room is available. You may have to rearrange the room.

Some teachers and event hosts overrun their time. Discuss when/how to handle this. If you are overrunning your time and a group is waiting, retreat to the common area or a committee area. Its your problem not theirs.

You are likely to have some classes that do not make the minimum headcount. It goes with the turf. Just teach the class.

Discuss importance of taking role and reporting it on time. Also, how to handle folks who show up for standby. For required classes and classes with less than three, these should be reported to Stan. Do not report standbys for non required classes with three or more.

Discuss expense reports where registration includes fees for supplies.

If a class is not full three days ahead, post a Seats Available topic on Talk.

Discuss connecting to the big screen TVs. Sometimes remote controls are missing. Some laptops do not have HDMI ports. Discuss casting.

Schedule an appropriate amount of time and stick to it. Time management is essential for a quality class.

I mention in passing that teachers get a $50.00 honorarium if the class meets certain criteria. I mention briefly that they may want to consider teaching. I never push anyone to teach unless I feel that I know their background and qualifications. Then I twist arms.

Will it require set up of student computers? Many will not do even minor set up before class. They seem to always arrive late. Be sure to allocate time for this.

Have the title page on the screen 15 minutes before class. Put WiFi SSID and password on this page. Also have a link to the presentation.

Have the presentation and any other files available and accessible to non members. I use PowerPoint to design the presentation but post a pdf format file. Use the same file for your presentation that students will be using.

The presentation should have a parts list page if parts are used that students may want to acquire.

What happens if WiFI is not available? Have all files on a couple of USB drives. Students require internet access for one of my classes. I carry a portable hot spot and have used it for this.

What happens if your computer fails or battery is down without a power supply? With one exception, I can teach my classes on a borrowed computer from internet files or USB drive.

No shows and late cancellations will be with us. Some teachers propose systems to deal with it. I do not support these. Some teachers use the following methods to minimize the problem. I think some of these are very good.

Early registration/cancellation time.
$5.00 registration fee
One instructor charges $25.00 for next class if they no show and sign up for another class from same instructor.
Require instructor approval - Keep a list of no shows. If they sign up again, make them explain how they can insure they will attend.
Confront them. I reminded a non member that he had been a no show twice. He said he did not receive a confirmation and though he was not in class.
Send out an email two or three days before a class as a reminder. I do this. It works well.

I never ask why someone did not show for obvious reasons.

Ask if non members are present. Give a special welcome. Offer a tour at end of class. On Thursday nights, get them into a tour after class if they wish.

When I do Thursday night classes, I invite tour guides to bring the tour group in. I spend two minutes telling them about my classes and the committee in general. It disrupts things for five minutes but its fun and no one has complained.

Put a Resources page at end of the presentation. Link to things that would be of interest to students: software download/install, parts at Tanner or EBay…, good articles or youtubes.

Some teachers promote various schemes to better reward teachers. I strongly oppose all of them. The honorarium system works well. If funds are available for paying volunteers, there are many non teachers who deserve it. If $50.00 is not enough, take your show down the road.

What subjects do and do not qualify for honorarium? I wonder how some classes qualify as Make related.

Why do we hide cancelled classes? On a few occasions, I have spent time looking for a class that I knew had been on the calendar but was nowhere to be found. Let’s be honest, mark it as cancelled and leave it on the calendar.

If an instructor does not show, they should put an apology on the talk forum

14 Likes

Great thoughts, Brady!

Allow time for questions. There will be questions.

If teaching in a classroom for the first time, try hooking up your computer to the monitor a day in advance. Work out those bugs when not under pressure.

It may be helpful to have your own <whatever> to HDMI adapter.

The current honorarium auditors are somewhat permissive. That can always change. Because it was allowed before is no guarantee in the future.

Be sure to change the location to “offsite” and the tool, if any, to “no tool” to not tie up resources unnecessarily.

3 Likes
  • Always allow late registration.
  • Do not set a deadline to cancel unless you are buying expensive and/or perishable items for the class.
4 Likes

Lots of safety nets based on school of hard knocks.
I’ll add one more.
Hand out a hard copy of your presentation.
Doesn’t have to be an exact copy, but should have keywords and websites.
Student has something to take notes on and info for further research and study.
Hopefully the curiosity doesn’t stop at the end of the class.
And if there’s an epic video fail, you can still do the class.

Teaching similar or repeat classes is usually not a problem.
Teach at different times - have a different group of students.
Limiting class size for question/discussion time may mean the class needs to be repeated from time to time.
Different teachers will present the same material in different ways. This is a very good thing.
Teachers also learn from their classes.

When posting a class, the description can also include what will not be covered.

5 Likes

The key is for the class description to "identify specific skills and techniques that the participant will learn. This also makes it easier for Honorarium Auditors to understand that you are teaching a class and not just organizing an event. "

I like your idea of coaching/encouraging new instructors and your very practical approach. We have a fair amount of information available for prospective instructors. Here are three links:

So You Want to Teach
Class & Classroom FAQs
(Optional) Class description template

3 Likes

Ask and suggest constructive criticism.

5 Likes

My DMS Excellent Behavior of the Day Award goes to Kris Wong! On Tuesday she sent a text that I was the only one in a laser class and she would like to cancel if it was ok with me. She was clearly willing to teach one person if I had scheduling problems or needed the class immediately. Of course it was ok with me. I attended her excellent class tonight.

4 Likes

Be sure to get them to sign the wavier. You can bring one of the kiosks into your classroom as long as you bring it back. Also, if you see from the class list that there will be non-members, consider opening the front door with the timer on the wall by the copier. You can do this 15 minutes before class, so the people can get in. Or better yet, wait for them at the front door, this is especially needed if the class is in the back workshop area.

2 Likes

I have not heard of it but its a great idea. I’ll look for it.

2 Likes

@Team_Expansion

In case this is not already on your long list of things to do, the new front door may need an “electronic doorstop” and the current one disabled.

Charlene noticed the following warning on a Fashion Design class by @Aneres. Instructors use various techniques to minimize the frustrating no-show/late-cancellation problem. This one has an interesting twist in that it provides forgiveness if the violators do two hours of community work!

TWO no shows or THREE cancellations less than 24hrs before class will prevent you from registering for my future classes. Please make sure you can attend before signing up. Thank you!

If you have to cancel last min and can find someone to take your spot, you won’t be penalized.

If you already have two no shows or three last min cancellations, you know who you are and I know who you are, please don’t register for my classes until July, I will have you removed. To get around this rule, do 2 hrs of community work for DMS; cleaning, help paint walls, etc.

4 Likes