Gauging interest for a new Python meetup

I’d be down for more programming classes. I do some Python at work, but not a lot, so it would be fun to meet with other programmers and make projects. Currently, I’m finishing up an MVP for a game I’m building with pygame. Ideally, I could get it out this weekend or the next, since I have some small bug fixes (and building releases is a pain with python if you want cross platform support).

I’ve been wanting to learn Django for a while to dabble in some front end/full stack development, and I would like to do more stuff with matplotlib. But microcontrollers sound cool too.

Have you read anything by no starch press? They’re the go to for my books and they have some really good Python books (Python Crash Course is my goto for new programmers, and I have a book on voice controls with Python).

1 Like

I’d also be down for programming classes. I do a little bit of javascript, and am interested in seeing how Python is applied in the real world, or so I can use in future projects.

1 Like

You can rest assured that there is appetite for many Python classes at DMS. Over the last few years, I’ve run over 60 Arduino-ish classes on 12 subjects and they always fill. A few months back, I took my Arduino Sensors class base and modified it for the RPi Pico W. It was well accepted and students would love for you to move them forward. I will help and support you any way I can.

I encourage everyone to reply to this string with your Python knowledge level and what you would like to see in Python classes. I vote for beginner level classes to get folks started. Hopefully, @whiter will then move forward with advanced classes. There are dozens of Python subject areas that would justify a class.

7 Likes

I’m generally interested in a Python class depending on the time/date.
I use python for data science applications (data manipulation, connecting to cloud or web services, modeling), but my knowledge could best be described as “I know enough to make sense of my google results.”

2 Likes

I’m working on a beginner python class. Currently, I’m having some honarium issues on calendar, so I’m getting that resolved first, but it should be up in a week or two depending on how that gets resolved.

It would probably be on a Saturday or Sunday in the afternoon, but I haven’t decided yet. I need to check my schedule, as it would be a multi-week/month long class

4 Likes

Is it a problem if two people offer a class of the same general description?

Absolutely not!

Each teacher will undoubtably have a different view on how best to cover the subject in the generally 90-120 minute timeframe. If, for example, two teachers choose to teach Intro to Python, I would guess that folks would tend to take the first one that fit their schedule and later take the other class to reinforce their knowledge and pick up new tips not in the first class.

Before Covid, we had a number of teachers offering classes on electronics, microcontrollers, programming and other related subjects. As DMS is recovering, it is refreshing to see more and more classes being offered in all maker areas!

Kudos to @whiter and @simurghi for planning to join the DMS teacher community.

5 Likes

There’s also no issue with me teaching multiple makeup sessions, given that a full length course that covers the essentials would take a few months if I did it on a biweekly basis. I don’t know if people would be able to make every single class, so multiple classes taught by different people could be good supplements as you mentioned.

1 Like

Here are some links that may be interesting.

The following link is several years old and several items like front door timer do not apply.

1 Like

I submitted an event to the calendar. It’s currently scheduled for Sunday January 22 @ 3 P.M. CST. Hopefully it shows up on the calendar soon. I need to go back to the computer lab and set up the learning environment for the class.

I have limited it to 6 people due to the number of available computers.

2 Likes

Awesome. I’m actually one of the coordinators for the DFW Pythoneers meetup group that currently meets in Plano on the first Thursday of every month. I’ve been teaching their “beginner hour” for at least the last 2 years (I don’t really keep track), so I’m pretty comfortable teaching beginner level stuff. I’ll try to keep mine on a separate day.

Thank you @bpamplin, I’ll try to keep that in mind. I’m sure I’ll need a little guidance getting things started. I’ll check out the posts you linked.

I’ll touch base when I get a bit more organized and figure out a path forward.

3 Likes

I’m definitely down, but would this be newbie friendly?

1 Like

Are you talking about Whiter’s class or my class? My course is designed for beginners, but I do expect some moderate computer skills like being able to google topics, using file explorer, open up app from the start menu, etc.

1 Like

I’m interested as well, I’ve been wanting to start learning python

1 Like

Definitely interested depending on what day , signed up for the python beginner class that is up already.

1 Like

It will probably be on Sundays. I have class at Brookhaven on Saturdays, so this schedule will probably be it for a while, though I might adjust time if needed based on feedback

Sounds good to me

The book I use for curriculum is Python Crash Course 2nd Edition by Eric Matthes. It’s about 20 bucks on amazon and it is really good. I will go over this on day 1, but it gives a head start. 3rd Edition just came out and has more updated software, a more in depth setup, and different module selections compared to 2nd edition.

From what I saw on his website, it doesn’t justify an extra 20 dollar purchase for me, but it might be for a newcomer. If you buy the book on the publisher’s website (No Starch Press), you also get a free eBook with your physical copy

Oh good , i have the 2nd edition. The 3rd edition came out right after i purchased it and i didnt feel it was worth the added cost either.

1 Like

CircuitPython is built into some TI calculators. I have not tried it.

My copy must be the first edition since it does not specify the edition; I totally recommend it. It along with the excellent Python Pocket Reference make up my primary language definition for a Python compiler I have been working on.