Honorarium Limits Raised!

Correct

And more characters

Let me know what I can do to help the space.

2 Likes

Is there a way we can set it up so it’s the first three classes you teach that make in a month that count for honorarium? My thought being we’ve been having problems with classes not making even when they failed but if we did this it would encourage people to go ahead and put up classes they would know that if they put up six classes in three didn’t make it. They would likely get paid for the three that did Mike. It would be best if there was some way of requiring the teacher to actually show up for the classes that didn’t make.

Nope, there’s really no way we can do this under the current rules and, frankly, it seems like a terrible idea to me.

2 Likes

No, but if a class doesn’t make you would be able to put up another class and request honorarium as long as it is within the 3 per person/month.

Teachers who don’t show up because their class doesnt “make” or who cancel at the last minute because they dont have enough people is not excellent. If we see a pattern of it, that person may lose the ability to teach. Unfortunately it is a risk we take, but students schedule time out of their day to attend classes and it isnt fair to them when classes just disappear because a teacher wont be “getting paid.”

7 Likes

As was said, nope. So, schedule 3 classes. As they make or don’t, schedule the next class. If the first class makes, then you drop to Option 2 for Class 4 (students pay instructor).

@Dale_Wheat refers to a line in one of my postings as Brady’s First Law.

When you are ready to submit a class, ask yourself, “Am I willing to drive to DMS on a cold wet night while I feel crummy to teach one person that may not show up?” If not, don’t post the class.

12 Likes

That is a great quote and perspective.

2 Likes

I think the only times I’ve cancelled a class is when the morning of the class no one, zero people have signed up. If no one is able to commit to it, then I’m assuming no one will show up. But if one is signed up, I’ll teach someone. I’ve had 1 person classes and have picked up one person in the evening.

But if you haven’t signed up you can’t reasonably say “Hey I got cheated”. But I do it with about 10 12 hours notice, not right at the end becuase someone may be at the enroute. I’ve had the students cancel out at the end or just not show and there has been no one (just once)

3 Likes

I totally concur and want to emphasize the second point because it is important. Its reasonable to cancel when:

• Zero people signed up
  • 10-12 hours notice. Some people are not able to commit even a few hours before class but their schedule clears and they drop in. Cancelling a class ten hours ahead gives them time to check the calendar before they drive.

I’m not suggesting these as rules but I treat them as such.

I once awarded my prestigious DMS Excellent Behavior of the Day Award to @squaredroots when she sent a PM asking if I could reschedule because I was the only one and she would like to cancel but would she teach if needed. Of course it was ok. Teachers help teachers.

3 Likes

I think cancelling when no one signs up is no harm, no foul. Cancelling when people are signed up, even one person, unless you are ill or are otherwise unable to make it to the space, is not excellent.

Think of it this way- you are a student who needs a required training class and finally get into one. Then the teacher cancels 10 hours prior because no one else signs up. If you’ve been waiting months to get AD sign off to use equipment you’d be pretty pissed.

We have had a few people cancel memberships because of not being able to get a class. So just be mindful if you teach that you may have someone relying on your help to start or complete a project.

1 Like

I’ve had people say they want to take a class and when I post it, none of them except one person from that group actually shows up. That’s really uncool to the teachers who put the time in to teach those classes. I don’t mind teaching one-on-ones, but that’s alot of time out of my days and alot of effort if it ends up being one-on-ones all the time. If given the choice to have a one-on-one vs a class for a basic sign off, I will opt for signing off multiple people at once. It ends up being that the burden on me is really high for one-on-ones because people keep cancelling or just no-show for classes.

Also if you’re a teacher with a class set that has a high demand for classes, it really sucks for those students who can’t get into those classes to not be able to sign up when someone doesn’t show up. There is a lot of burden on a teacher/committee that teaches tools that require sign offs and not enough tools. I have alot of people try to walk in. ALOT. I take them anyway but most of the time they don’t get signed off for the AD group until a while later, even if I send the email the same night, which means they won’t get to work on their projects until the sign-off is available.

As Brady said, I’m more than willing to teach one-on-ones, but if the student is flexible and willing to wait for a fuller class, I will try to coordinate that so it works best for both the teacher and the student.

1 Like

I havent taught a class yet (I have a few in the planning stages), but the only thing I would be worried about is if I was teaching a class and the materials cost like $50 to do the class and I had decided that the honorarium would cover the cost. Then I don’t meet honorarium and I am -$50, because I had several people no show. I am assuming I should probably just charge a class fee to avoid that kind of situation though.

I don’t think I would mind teaching for free, but I don’t want to go negative.

1 Like

You reached out to them and worked with them to provide it at a later date, you also gave them the option of you coming in if they needed it right then. I believe if someone had said “I was really hoping to work on a laser project this week” you would have come out to help. I think this is a happy compromise.

I have always been an advocate for teachers at dms, since before I was President. I myself loved teaching and it was quite frustrating when I would prepare for a class and get no shows. I realize it is also time out of your day.

But I know there are teachers who have cancelled habitually when classes didn’t make, rather than others like yourself who try to work with students. We are watching the patterns.

By no means do I want to put undue burden on our teachers, but it is a balancing act to make everyone happy (hot take: you can’t).

Re class material outlay

Talk to the committee chair and discuss what materials you need. They will usually acquire them for you so you’re not out money to teach. Then you just charge supply fee at signup or at class that goes to reimburse committee

3 Likes

Also, anyone with questions on reimbursements, whether something would qualify for honorarium, how to use the calendar or anything education related, etc. can reach out to me our @dougemes

We will be having the monthly education meeting tomorrow night if anyone is interested in helping shape the education system at DMS.

4 Likes

I won’t be able to make it to the meeting, I’m flying out that night. I’ll catch the next one.

If you have ideas you can PM me and I’ll gladly add them to the agenda

1 Like

Side question, does the policy still exist that training required classes are paid honorarium as long as there are at least 3 students signed up 24 (or was it 48?) Hours in advance? With all the honorarium changes I wasnt sure if that’s still in place to help protect the sign off/training classes from cancelling

No, that was voted out before the honorarium changes. 3 people are required to be in attendance for the class, if they cancel or no show and you dont have 3 people, your class doesnt make. So if the absolute only way you would teach is if you take home $50, don’t put up a class.

2 Likes