Status of the 3D Scanner

FWIW, I am currently working on a turntable 3D-scanner project based on an Nvidia Jetson that I will happily let DMS use. It’s definitely not for the highest quality scans, and takes a long time to complete, but it’s something to use if someone needs it. I should have it complete sometime in Q1 of 2020.

1 Like

So just to be clear, there is no working 3d scanning equipment at DMS right now, correct? I would like to scan a few gatoraid bottle type / sized objects to see if it could be a shortcut to creating 3d models to be used in advertising.

No there is no 3D scanner at DMS right now. We will be getting a new one sometime soon

1 Like

I recommend that nobody hold their breath. This has been happening for over a year.

What needs to happen to get a new one?

Come to the 3d fab meeting Saturday at 6

3 Likes

Max had a 3D Scanner chosen, and the money allocated at that meeting 1 year ago, then someone blew up the meeting.

Show up and make this happen, we need it.

1 Like

Have we lookedninnto this https://scandimension.com/collections/scanners.

I will need to scannsome things after this cazy pandemic.

Actually we had a representative from Creaform come in and give a demo of their academia package. The package included the scanner, 50 seat concurrent license software, as well as a full training package where we can use their lesson plans for classes.

https://www.creaform3d.com/en/education/teaching

Everyone at the meeting was very impressed and voted to move forward.

5 Likes

So if this scanner gets bought what precautions are gonna be taken so that if it is broken again like the last one, the individual responsible is held accountable? Also what credentials will be required upon receiving training to ensure that only qualified individuals may use the scanner?

1 Like

Great questions. That will be up to the 3D Fab committee to decide. Here are a few of my personal ideas though.

The software has 50 seats that reside on our network. Lock those down to an AD group so only those trained can access the software.

Many other committees have locked areas such as metal shop/automotive, that you have to go through the class to get the code.

Initiate a RFID cabinet lock. It has been discussed widespread for many years. The 3D fab locked cabinet for resin worked for awhile before having issues. Now wood shop uses it on many tools.

The package itself included at least 1 year breakage coverage. The company was pretty open to working with us, and the local sales rep lives on a few minutes from the Makerspace.

3 Likes

Potentially dumb question: are the minutes of the meeting posted somewhere? There’s a recently-joined member here that was asking about the 3D scanner (he has a Creaform himself, the HandiScan(sp?), which he’s brought here with him and is using as I type – cooooool), and I couldn’t find where the info on for example what model we were looking at to be able to tell him.

1 Like

There was recently a number of meeting minutes added to the wiki. As I understand it, we are going to rediscuss this at this Saturday’s meeting at 6pm. As far as my dealings with Creaform, it was the Acedemia 50 (SYS-ACA-S50PD) that we received a quote for.

Everyone that saw the demo was extremely impressed at the speed, quality, and ease that the Creaform scanner produced.

2 Likes

Checking in to see if anything ever came out of this. Was 3d fab ever able to get a new scanner or did covid put it on hold?

The funding request was denied for the time being.

1 Like

did we ever get a new 3d scanner? everything I could find here in the forums is years old.

This other post dated May 2022 seems to be more current.

That information is confirmed by this post dated 8/2022.

This post from 12/22 states that we have one, and the committee chair @engpin believes it’s in the storage cabinet.

1 Like

Yup, it’s in the cabinet closest to the emergency exit. Orange harbor freight case.

1 Like

What 3D Scanner?

It’s a Revopoint Pop, afaik it’s good up to about the size of a wheel then it has some issues keeping tracking.