Scanning my car

Hi 3d friends! I’m looking to scan my car. I’ve experimented with photogrammetry and it gives me pretty decent results just with my phone camera. However, if we (DMS) have a 3d scanner, I’d love to learn how to use it so that I could get a bunch of scans together. I would then clean up the scans to reproduce my car in 3d so that I can start experimenting with different interiors, mocking up ideas for body work, etc.

If anyone knows if we have a scanner that could be used in the expansion area (to have enough space to scan) I’d enjoy a chat and some help. Otherwise, I’ll continue with the alcohol/talc powder and photogrammetry method I’ve been using. Many thanks!

1 Like

I’m not sure how well our scanner will work on something that large (but also Mini). Photogrammetry might be a better option, I talked to Capturing Reality last year about donating some licenses and they seemed open, I should bug them again.

Here’s a youtube video featuring our scanner with some examples of using it for automotive work:

2 Likes

Which scanner do we have? Matt goes over several in that video.

I’m using reality capture to process my photogrammetry at the moment. Promising so far, I just need to get my hands on some tracking markers to help with large featureless surfaces. Do we have any of those on hand or should I order some?

We have a Revopoint Pop, it’s in a plastic case in a cabinet in 3d fab. I don’t think we have any tracking markers, unless Evan bought some? @Evan_Lott

Last I saw a few weeks ago, we had at least one full sheet of tracking stickers in the orange 3D scanner case.

I am also very interested in scanning my Suzuki Alto Works, how would I go about it?

I’ve been experimenting with 99% alcohol and baby powder in a 4:1 ratio which is then sprayed onto any reflective surface that you want to capture. The surface becomes matte and grayish white which makes for fairly clean scans, but I still need to pickup some scanning markers to put all over my car so that when I go to scan it, the camera can keep track of its position in 3d space for reconstruction later. If you scan a large homogenous surface without any landmarks, it doesn’t have anything to track or orient the scans with later. Just some small things to consider.

There’s also a Discord I joined a little while ago that I’ve been picking up tricks from if you’re interested. I’ll PM you the invite (not sure if it’s alright to post the link here? If it is, I’ll share it here too)

I think I may understand about the markers, they are points used to get orientation and "stitch points to assemble it all together?

Here’s a good youtube video of the marker process

1 Like

The markers are used to correlate the image as it moves. It looks for marker patterns to repeat as it moves in 3D. That’s how it knows where it is on the object. Basically the markers have to be close enough together that it doesn’t get ‘lost’.

If you want to scan a whole car with the POP scanner you will probably want to mount the scanner on a tripod with wheels to keep it steady as you move it around. Also it may be possible to move it by hand if you can move slowly enough and have enough trackers close enough together on it.

I think also the trackers can be made / printed on sticker paper (and possibly cut out with the vinyl printer). It’s probably easier to just order them online though.

1 Like

I too am really interested in using the scanner to scan parts of the interior of my little '72 Opel GT. I want to clean up the scans and make 3D printed molds to be used to do wet carbon fiber layups for things like the center console, A,B, and C pillar closeouts, and decorative pieces for the door trim panels, etc.

I think the Revo would do the trick. We’ll soon see.

DD