REMINDER: Please clean up after yourself

Just a reminder folks, that one of the only rules we have at the maker space is that you are expected to clean up after yourself. I was just in the machine shop and had to spend a fair bit of time throwing out pieces of garbage as well as putting away a TON of tools. Nearly every box of pin gauges were out on the workshop table instead of being returned to the area under the table they were taken from. The shell mill was left in the machine and further the draw bar was tightened so much that I needed to use the brass hand sledge hammer to ā€˜breakā€™ it loose to allow me to remove the shell mill.

Also the mill DRO and power feed were left on (and the power feed was in the highest speed position). These need to be turned off when your done with them.

It is NOT being excellent to your fellow members to leave messes that they need to clean up before they can work on what they came to the space forā€¦

So just a reminder of a few of the basic ā€˜rulesā€™

1. Clean up your trash when your finished. This includes metal chips, drinks, food, etc. This includes sweeping up your mess of chips on the floor.
  2. Put all of the tools away back where they belong when your done. If you donā€™t know where they belong ask on the [email protected] mailing list.
  3. Turn off the power feeed and the DRO on the bridgeport when your done.
2 Likes

As noted by others, this communications forum is only reaching a small fraction of our membership. We likely need some LARGE graphic signs saying ā€œclean up after yourselfā€. Perhaps in three 1940ā€™s ā€œLoose lips sink shipsā€ style?

2 Likes

3 Likes

Yep, but if the small fraction that participate in the talk forum gently remind others they encounter to ā€˜clean up after themselvesā€™ it canā€™t hurt.

Frankly, I wonder how anyone can say they need to be told they should throw out their food containers or put things back where they got them,

2 Likes

Indeed. If you need to be told to clean up after yourself, you donā€™t need to be at a Makerspace. The board can and WILL suspend people for not cleaning up after yourself. Also a reminder to committee chairpersonsā€¦ you have the power to ban someone from your committeeā€™s area!

4 Likes

1 Like

Then Many many posts laterā€¦

http://www.leedsconfidential.co.uk/i/FTH/3D2J_M.jpg

Keeping on the theme of ships:

I am slowly being convinced that this or a derivative of it, is the Only thing that will actually.

ā€¦Xā€¦

Re: the ā€œyour mother does not work hereā€ trope.
If your mother was here and if DMS recognized her work with a paycheck, she still wouldnā€™t clean up after you. You are not 5 anymore.

4 Likes

Depends upon the Mother. I am thinking that a large number of motherā€™s would (and still do) clean up after their adult childrenā€¦ After all how else could we have so many people who think leaving food containers out on tables is alright?

2 Likes

FYI
"
All members are expected to maintain a safe and clean environment at all times.
"
In the code of conduct people that donā€™t clean up can and will be banned from the space.

There is no reason not to clean up and in places like the WoodShop creates a dangerous situation.

1 Like

I donā€™t disagree with this rule, but I personally havenā€™t seen it applied in the short time I have been a member, and suspect the reason is that it is felt to be ā€˜overly harshā€™. I would suggest that for a first offence something like ā€˜community serviceā€™ would be a more appropriate punishment. Say, requiring the offender to empty all of the trash cans and/or sweep and pick up all of floor space in the workshop. In other words require the offender to both clean the space and do something that will make it less likely they will commit the same offence in the future.

It has been done in the past but yes it is a harsh decision. But in the end we donā€™t have anyone to enforce policies so as a community we have to take action.

Historically it goes something like this

1st offense
Person is identified
Committe head normally emails them and explain what they have done wrong.

2nd offense
Committees ban them from using the area for a certain time.

3rd offense
BOD usually bans the person for a period of time.

With all that being said itā€™s more important than ever before to get these bad apples out of play if they donā€™t read the the rules they probably have not been through safety training and end up hurting themselves or the equipment.

So I suspect that the amount of chances will head down as we as a committee and organization better document and convey what the community expects from its members.

2 Likes

Part of the problem here, too, is enforcement. Banning one member on the sayso of another is bad juju.
Envision:

Member A uses the table saw.
Member B is in line right behind to use the table saw.
Member A says to Member B ā€œdo I need to clean up, or would you prefer I get out of your way and you can clean up when youā€™re done?ā€
B says ā€œNo, go ahead, I got it.ā€
Member A goes on his way, free and clear, to do whatever it is Members A do.
Member B starts making cuts, then walks out of the woodshop for a moment to test fit his cut.
Member C walks in and, seeing no one using the table saw, sets out his work.
Member D walks in, and, seeing Member C preparing to use the table saw, and the mess from 2 users strewn about, says to self ā€œThat bastard BETTER clean up, because Iā€™m NOT working in that filth!ā€
Member B walks in to see Member C preparing to use the table saw and thinking ā€œoh well, Iā€™ll grab lunchā€ leaves to grab a bite.
Member C realises heā€™s forgotten a crucial piece, and walks away with all his stuff, thinking ā€œDarn, I wish Iā€™d remembered that piece so I could have used the table sawā€¦ā€
Member D then reports Member C, whom he witnessed not cleaning up, and we ban Member C from the space.

Do you find this ā€œfairā€ or ā€œequitableā€ or acceptable, if you put yourself in each memberā€™s shoes?
As Member B, do you really want to wait around for Member A to clean up when youā€™re willing to do it so you can get to work quicker?
As Member C arenā€™t you going to be mad as hell? But what do you say in your defence? Are you allowed to mount a defence? Is there any defence?
What if you figure out itā€™s technically, theoretically, Member B who is to blame. Does he just get blindsided by a ban when he comes back from lunch?
Is Member A blameless?
I know nothing is perfect, and we have to work with what we have, and I donā€™t really have better suggestions, but I am saying that just because you witness a single event, be careful about labeling a person or getting emotional about it.
The right answer, to my mind, would have been for Member D to say ā€œHey there goodbuddy C, are you done here? Because I wanted to use the table saw but itā€™s in an awful state.ā€
Hopefully Member C would say ā€œOh, it was like that when I got here, but youā€™re right, it needs cleaned up. Let me help you with that. Man, I forgot the one piece I actually needed it for and now here I am cleaning up someone elseā€™s mess. I didnā€™t see the guy ahead of meā€¦ā€
Then they could clean up a bit, join hands, and sing kumbaya together, each having sacrificed a few minutes of their day to fix a wrong created by neither.

While Iā€™ve been putting this in, Robert_Davidson has done some clarification. Thank you. I donā€™t think it completely negates my points.

You may not be aware, but the space is blanketed with security cameras that record. I doubt anyone has been banned or otherwise punished without having video evidence.

I am acutely aware, but thank you.
So far, no mention of ā€œgoing to the videoā€ has been made. Itā€™s been referenced as an option many times, but so far, no mention of its actually being used in a ban.
And since you bring it up, what do we do in the scenario I outlined, if we DO go to video? (I am under the impression we have no or unreliable audio)

In your scenario, this is the first real problem. Member B knew they were ā€˜on the hookā€™ to clean up and just because someone else is now using the equipment they are still able to ā€˜clean upā€™ the area. And they are also perfectly able to actually talk to member C about how long they will be so that they can clean up the mess they made and the mess they agreed to clean up from the prior member.

The only real issue is if we stopped at the first part of your scenario and Member B denied he agreed to clean up for member A. I doubt the video recordings have useful audio. But frankly in that case I would suggest that we have two members that need chastisement. Since neither member cleaned up after themselves, and presumably member a, while trusting B to keep their word, is still responsible for their own mess.

All that said, I really donā€™t think what ifs are particularly useful here. I think we need more signage to make it as clear as humanly possible what we expect. We also need some more visible chstisement of members who fail to live up to that standard. It is clear we have a real problem with people cleaning up and putting away things. Some of this is because of lack of knowledge (where things go), but some is just plain laziness or carelessness. A scarlet letter approach can serve to reduce the problem by not only providing chastisement to the actual person, but a cautionary tail for all members.

1 Like

Fully agree Walter the intent should be education.

We canā€™t armchair solve all the If situations.

But we can educate new members of the expectations.

1 Like

I donā€™t disagree, but only because I donā€™t have a better way. Having repeatedly been on the receiving end of unfounded accusations resulting in public humiliation I simply caution that eye witnesses can be mistaken, people need not be above pettiness to be in a position of authority, and sometimes innocents get caught in the pincers.

1 Like

Quick noteā€¦ we record video ONLY, NO audio. The microphones are disabled in software on the cameras themselves, and BlueIris (the software DVR we use) is set to drop/ignore any audio it receives.
We set these because there were concerns about wiretapping and the law; @Robert_Davidson can elaborate if needed.

But anyways, most of the cameras at the space are capable of 1536p, but we lowered them to 1080p. We can CLEARLY see who did what, and exactly when. The problem is that weā€™re all volunteers, so we donā€™t review the footage unless we HAVE toā€¦ and even then, it takes us a while to get around to it (again, all volunteers).

5 Likes