RDWorks - can't open it's own saved files?

I think the issue cleared for a time due to an upgrade at the space however I think it may be back, my GF reported having the issue again this past week. It’s hard to stay in sync.

Downloaded RDWorks at home again and it seems the version is up to 1.34 now. Anyone else still receive the “File Format error! Please check file version”?

Thanks

1 Like

Yes. Yes I do. Even when the file was created on the Blitzen computer, untouched on any other computer, then reloaded on the Blitzen computer.

If I can, I plan to attend the next Laser Committee meeting to lobby (fight) for at least one Laser computer to be upgraded. In case I can’t make it a backup would be welcome. :wink:

1 Like

I had the error before but it was resolved when all the software was updated to version 1.19 from 1.18. I got a new computer and so with each download of the latest/newer rdworks I seem to have this issue. I’m going to look and see if I can find a copy of the 1.19 version now.

1 Like

THIS ^^. So much this.

May this Chair Emeritus also add the word “work” and a shameless plug? The Committee (any committee, really) needs members to participate at all levels (fixing, upgrading, teaching, cleaning, leading, learning) in order for the Area to run like a top. Please, everyone/anyone, do fall in love with an Area and participate. Team Laser is very accessible and we welcome all.

2 Likes
1 Like

Using version x.x.19 is currently the solution to most of these problems… Not all… As @jast points out, I put copies on the committee network drive.

I do suggest @Team_Laser upgrade the 3 laser computers, 3 design computers, and jump server to the latest version.

1 Like

I was just at Blitzen, I believe. The one with the RFID reader. I ran through a series of tests. I was using RDWorks v8.0.1.19 as listed in the “Help->About RDCAM” window.

• Logged in to the computer.
  • Launched RDWorks.
  • Imported a DXF.
  • Modified some layer attributes.
  • Saved the RLD file.
  • Quit RDWorks.
  • Launched RDWorks.
  • Attempted to open the recently saved RLD file.
  • Error message: “File Format error! Please check file version”
  • Quit RDWorks.
  • Reboot Computer.
  • Login to Computer.
  • Launch RDWorks.
  • Attempted to open the previous RLD file.
  • Error message: “File Format error! Please check file version”
  • Give up.

This makes using RDWorks (and the laser cutters for most of us) suitable for only very simple designs. If you can’t save the RLD and bring it up, you cannot save the layer information, AFAIK.

For example, I am trying to create a calibration job that I can use to select the best power/speed ratio for the material that I have. It uses all 20 layers available in RDWorks. If I cannot open a previously saved RLD file, then I am forced to import it from DXF every time. If I do, all 20 layers are not set at the right speed/power and I would be forced to set them manually every time I run the job.

So far, I have not had any such issues on my home computer that I am running RDWorks 8.0.1.34 on.

Recommendation, update the three computers in the laser lab to RDWorks 8.0.1.34. Test using the above procedure. I concede that the save/open issues could be related to multi-user login or other DMS specific details that I don’t have to worry about on my home computer.

3 Likes

I think the plan is to look at upgrading to the latest version of rd works on Sunday at maintenance day. Thank you for investigating this.

Jw

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll be there at the maintenance day learning stuff and killing time while my wife is in the Woodshop 101 class.

1 Like

FYI: We’re in Purple Classroom from 11-noon for the meeting portion…bring your input!
Then we move to Laser for maintenance.

1 Like

Any update on this? The jump server version is still V8.01.18. I’ve only ever created files logged in on the jump server or modified on the laser computers. Moments ago I created a file remoted in to the jump server, saved it, and now I cannot open it again. I’m able to open a few of my older files, but not all.

Luckily it’s a simple setup, but I hate to tie up a laser computer doing something I could do remotely :slight_smile:

1 Like

I apologize. I forgot about the administrator / manifest problem so RDWorks was not upgraded.

The solution for the next attempt is here…
https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/13-november-2018-different-versions-of-rdworks-on-jump-server-vs-laser-computers/46274/4?u=brian

Thought I would tell folks how I fixed this issue. It involves the use of regedit so proceed with caution.

1. Uninstall RDWorks and then delete the RDWorksV8 folder
  2. Go to the search line in bottom left corner of Windows desktop and type in “create a restore point”
  3. Create a restore point in case something goes wrong with regedit. This will enable you to recover if you mess up
  4. After creating the restore point, go to search line and type in “regedit”. Run regedit as administrator.
  5. Using the menu item Edit/Find, search for “RDWorks”.
  6. Delete all entries in the registry that contain “RDWorks”
  7. Exit regedit and reboot your PC
  8. Install new version of RDWorks.

This worked for me, I can now save and reopen files.

I am having the same issue both on my personal laptop and on the jump server. Currently working on the regedit as suggested above for my laptop to see if I can fix it, but the copy on the server may need to be updated.

As a follow up uninstalling, cleaning the register on my computer, and re-installing let me save and open files on my computer, but when I tried to open both the old and new files on the computer in laser and I got the same issue. I was able to import the .AI file and run the laser just not save and reopen it.

Having similar issues. I’ve removed the software completely from my computer, and removed all registry entries. If I get on the DMS server via Remote Desktop, create and save a new file, close the software, reopen RDWork, attempting to open the newly created file gives me the same error.

After removing it from your computer were you able to re-install it with the new version too?

The version of RDworks on the computers in the Laser area has been upgraded to V8.01.38. This is the latest version available from Thunder. I was able to resolve the issues we had installing it the last time we tried to upgrade.

I’ve tested opening old .rld files from the V8.01.18 version and files from the current .38 version. Everything seems to be working fine.

One thing about the new version to note is that there is no option to frame or start cutting from the software. Those buttons have been removed from the program. You need to use the Download option to send the file to the laser. Then you can select your file and use Frame to check your job before running it.

3 Likes

It wold be immensely helpful to at least briefly describe how you resolved the problem so the next person who attempts to install an upgrade does not reinvent the wheel.

1 Like