RDWorks - can't open it's own saved files?

I am having the same issue both on my personal laptop and on the jump server. Currently working on the regedit as suggested above for my laptop to see if I can fix it, but the copy on the server may need to be updated.

As a follow up uninstalling, cleaning the register on my computer, and re-installing let me save and open files on my computer, but when I tried to open both the old and new files on the computer in laser and I got the same issue. I was able to import the .AI file and run the laser just not save and reopen it.

Having similar issues. Iā€™ve removed the software completely from my computer, and removed all registry entries. If I get on the DMS server via Remote Desktop, create and save a new file, close the software, reopen RDWork, attempting to open the newly created file gives me the same error.

After removing it from your computer were you able to re-install it with the new version too?

The version of RDworks on the computers in the Laser area has been upgraded to V8.01.38. This is the latest version available from Thunder. I was able to resolve the issues we had installing it the last time we tried to upgrade.

Iā€™ve tested opening old .rld files from the V8.01.18 version and files from the current .38 version. Everything seems to be working fine.

One thing about the new version to note is that there is no option to frame or start cutting from the software. Those buttons have been removed from the program. You need to use the Download option to send the file to the laser. Then you can select your file and use Frame to check your job before running it.

3 Likes

It wold be immensely helpful to at least briefly describe how you resolved the problem so the next person who attempts to install an upgrade does not reinvent the wheel.

1 Like

@Brian
Actually, I just followed your instructions from back in November.

"Documentation for the future meā€¦

• Locate a file named RDWorksV8.exe.manifest in the RDWorksV8 directory
  • Rename that file to not_as_admin_RDWorksV8.exe.manifest
  • Enjoy the fact that our Chinese overlords did not bind the manifest to the executable"

Thanks for the help. I just havenā€™t had time to try the fix until now.

3 Likes

I didnā€™t try to install it back on my PC just to see if having a different version locally was causing issues when using Remote Desktop. Now that itā€™s been updated at DMS I will reinstall to see what happens.

Hey there @Team_Laser - any update on this issue? When logging in to the jumpserver I get RDWorks version 8.01.18.

The problem:

1. Open RDWorks on jumpserver
  2. Create a new file with a simple operation (like a square cut)
  3. Save as - RDWorks
  4. close and reopen RDWorks
  5. Attempt to open file and I get the error:

When I attempt to open on a Laser Workstation, same issue for files I created on the jumpserver.

Soā€¦ I end up building files on the Laser Workstation and getting dirty looks from people. :-/

This is a consistent and repeatable problem for me, any ideas or solutions would be appreciated!

This is a known issue for RDworks, and has no fix. For that reason, @team_laser is encouraging users to begin using Lightburn. It is much more stable, and has better features. In either case, one should always keep a copy of the design before it was imported into the laser software.

Sorry for the problems, I wish there were a solution.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info Tommy. Is there a license key somewhere? When I log on to the jumpserver it is not licensed. I searched Talk and the wiki and did not see it.

I had the same problem with my students. I stopped using save as (*.RLD), but use the option export. Choose *.ai . Problem solved.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had the same problem and done exactly as you, BigBram , the trouble is that .ai files donā€™t save bmp engraving raster files. So actually not really solved :frowning:

This is probably the best reason to switch to Lightburn

RDWorks seems to do that every upgrade, even tiny incremental ones.

Just downloaded and installed it in the meanwhile,Iā€™ve lost about 1 hour to understand how it works / how to configure my laser and gained the same time to do back my lost design using boolean cut :slight_smile:
Itā€™s really simple and much better than RDworks,itā€™s rare to find something that worth the price but itā€™s the case here,it changed my way to work in only a couple of hours, Iā€™m going to buy it ! So thanks a lot to Lightburnā€™s team, my only question is : do I need to buy 2 licenses as I do my design on a computer but manage the laser from another one ?

also is it possible to import my previous .rld files from Lightburn ? I canā€™t find the way to do that

What version of RDWorks is at the Makerspace now?

I just had an issue where I created a file in the .19 version and could not open the same software in the .19 verison.

Just updated RDWorks, they are now on version 8.01.52, and when I created a new file I was able to open the same file again. But of course, cannot open older files either on the new update.

Can we access LightBurn from the Remote Desktop?

Appears to be there.

It did output thisā€¦

Which seems ominous. But my order of ignorance is high.

Hopefully, @Team_Laser can help.

I am not sure which RD Works is on the computers. RD Works definitely has a problem with not being able to open any rld files from a different computer. It is one of the most frustrating programs. I used to try it with a confirmed matching version and it still couldnā€™t open its own filetype! Half the time the file would be not open from the same computer.

I would suggest saving your work as an SVG and importing it each time. Takes a bit longer, but you donā€™t have to worry about it not opening.

Ligthburn is not accessible on the remote desktop, the license doesnā€™t cover that.

2 Likes