Proposed DMS COVID-19 policy

If someone thinks they are ill but still heading to DMS (or wherever) that would be an excellent opportunity to show they care about others and wear a mask.

1 Like

Vaccines are only a personal matter as long as one does not wish to use community resources around other members. My 2 cents.

3 Likes

I find the subject comes up in casual conversation all the time and I don’t think it’s offensive at all to ask people if it comes up in a natural way in conversation. It should not be an inquisition of course. If a person seems uncomfortable one should back off but I don’t think the subject should be taboo though I can see how some unvaccinated people might be a bit sensitive.

Just wear a mask? How about just staying home?

3 Likes

Changing it to a T-shirt makes it no less a vaccine badge/mark/ID.

Thought appreciated, but pass.

Discussion unrelated to this policy has been moved here

Please for the love of all that is Holy. Keep the discussion there!

3 Likes

The updated policy has been added to the agenda for the next board meeting.

Before coming to the space

• If you are feeling sick do not come to the space
  • Take your temperature before leaving home. If it is 99 or greater, do not come to the space
  • If you have had a temperature of 99 or greater in the last 48 hours do not come to the space
  • Pack your own PPE and disinfectant wipes/cleaning products for use while at the space. DMS will not be providing these for personal use

Facemasks

Masks, while no longer required for members, are highly recommended both inside the space and while on the grounds. This includes the front entrance patio areas and the ramps, dumpsters and bay door areas.

In addition:

• Teachers may require masks to be worn by all students
  • Teachers and students must still follow all posted rules/signage within a given work or committee area

Social Distancing

Social Distancing, while no longer required for members, is highly recommended both inside the space and while on the grounds. This includes the front entrance patio areas and the ramps, dumpsters and bay door areas.

In addition:

• Teachers may require social distancing from all students
  • Teachers and students must still follow all posted rules/signage within a given work or committee area

Things the Makerspace will not supply during the current COVID-19 restriction period

• Personal/project storage and the ice machine in the galley will remain closed until we have volunteers and a plan to manage them.
  • Disinfectant wipes/cleaning products

Contractors and service people

All contractors and vendors will be required to wear a mask when visiting or working at the space.

Tours

Group, individual, and open tours are now re-opened at the DMS. Tours will be held from 10am - 2pm on Saturdays. Masks are required for Saturday group tour participants. One-on-one tour guides may require masks if desired.

Enforcement of rules

All members are expected to continue our ethos of “Be Excellent to Each Other”. This includes mask wearing and social distancing. Harassment of members/guests because of their masking choices is in direct violation of our Anti-Harassment Policy. Deliberately preventing others from social distancing is also a violation of the Anti-Harassment Policy. If anyone feels that they have been subjected to harassment, please contact a DMS Officer or a Director.

8 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Discussion from Proposed DMS COVID-19 policy

11 posts were merged into an existing topic: Discussion from Proposed DMS COVID-19 policy

Can’t agree with the personal storage, contact contagion has pretty much been proven to be non-existent. Most cases which transmit between people are from extended conversations between people who are unmasked.

Reasoning is that we currently do not have volunteer power to manage it as it was. Only thing that has to do with covid is that our volunteer numbers dropped during it. Nobody has stepped forward with a plan nor the volunteer power to execute it.

While we are working on some alternatives, it will take some time to execute.

5 Likes

Who would I need to contact to volunteer to help restart storage?

2 Likes

Not only does efficient execution of project storage cleanout days require conversation between people in close proximity, but some degree of exertion given members’ predilection to accumulate vast disordered piles of materials that commit the venial sin of being at least two the following three: heavy, bulky, fragile. And invariably there will be at least one member who makes a protracted impassioned plea as to why they should be granted an exception, conveniently after their materials have been moved.

5 Likes

Online test/quiz before a member can use project storage!!

3 Likes

Simplest test in DMS history. Questions:

1. Can you count to 30?

2. Do you know where the dumpster is?

4 Likes

It’s very possible that a quiz will be part of reopening project storage.

4 Likes

What about the freebie shelf? Will this be reopened with the new policy?

While I think I understand the intent, I am concerned that the wording is confusing. I suggest we use names that are consistent with the official policy as described in the Logistics wiki.

The proposed policy states that “Personal storage” (i.e. bins) will be closed. I’m guessing that the Board does not intend to close Personal storage so I suggest that the policy be reworded slightly to just say “Project storage will remain closed until further notice”.

EDIT: I had previously swapped the descriptions. @mdredmond corrected me.

1 Like

Seems like the descriptions in the wiki need to be swapped, no?

1 Like

Oh you’re right. Thank you. It’s not the wiki. I inadvertently swapped the descriptions. I edited it to fix it.

2 Likes