Discussion from Proposed DMS COVID-19 policy

Discussion from Proposed DMS COVID-19 policy

No I ageee mask should be mandated for classss and tours but the passport thing is where it could get mucky, make it an all of nothing thing not where if someone has a passport during a class or tour they don’t have to

Roughly 75% reduction in asymptomatic infection and 95% reduction in symptomatic infection is certainly not a sure thing, but it is a very substantial reduction in risk, and just by odds of infection, apparently far better than masks, so in comparison to mask, the reduced risk of hospitalization, etc is a huge bonus.

1 Like

A 95% efficacy rate is pretty close to a sure thing that you won’t be hospitalized or die from covid, like I said you can still get it but if you’re vaccinated and do get it it will be more akin to the flu where you’re symptoms are mild and won’t require hospitalization
Again the point of the vaccine isn’t that people never get covid, it’s that they don’t get hospitalized or die from covid, that’s a big misunderstanding! It’s not meant to be a impenetrable shield but it’s meant to be a way to make sure you’re body’s prepared enough to keep you at home on the couch sick vs needing medical attention and hospitalization

My boyfriend was hospitalized and nearly died from flu about 5 years ago. Not to mention the $50k ICU stay. Just saying…

Which would seem to emphasize there is no guarantee of safety.

Bad things happen to people unfortunately.

Finding the balance between hiding in a remote cave and living life is the trick.

We’ve been doing a really really bad job of that for the last year.

1 Like

, we don’t need to turn this into a debate about the marginal percentage of unusual cases and circumstances, I’m extremely sorry for you’re experience and I can imagine there’s 1000s more who were forced undergo similar sircumtances , I just don’t want to side rail this thread with the 1% or any statistics about vaccines

I know, it’s a serious hot button issue around the space I was unaware of it’s popularity

And a good reason the revisit those alcohol on campus rules :grin:

Keep drinking it. Either you get out or you die happy :smiley:

1 Like

If they were made with 63% ethanol it could be classified as “Sanitizer” by CDC’s standards. I bet usage and compliance would go up.

@Team_Science can we figure out 63% ethanol ice.? Needed for margarita machine to replace current boring and highly contaminated 0% ethanol ice machine and scoop.

5 Likes

Avoids scoop entirely, pour into glass. See how healthy this is and solves problems - encourages compliance.

I bet committee meeting attendance would go if if they used it for attendees. Reward for Tour Guide volunteers after each tour (limit 2 tours per day).

2 Likes

I think we have a freezing point apparatus, but I’m not sure if it’s calibrated correctly.

Correction melting point apparatus

How far below 0 Kelvin will it measure/read?

So far below that you get a brain freeze just looking at the readout!

1 Like

8 Likes

We have an electrothermal melting point apparatus model IA 8101

Should be good to 450 C, not sure how cold it goes

Not exactly pertinent to the discussion, but I think that ship has sailed :wink:

I’m fully vaccinated and can feel the power of the nanites coursing through my veins (all hail Bill Gates!). Tonight I went into our local Walmart without a mask for the first time since the Covid. I was 1 of maybe 2 people without one.

I got some looks. One lady hugged the shampoo laden shelves as I walked past with my 3yo son. 18m ago, I couldn’t conceive of needing to wear a mask to do anything beyond woodworking, painting, etc. I can’t believe how much my brain has been rewired in such a short amount of time, and I’m looking forward to correcting this.

The libertarian in me fights the Christian in me when I think of someone asking to see my vaccine card. Then the Christian in me reminds me people are just scared; I get that. I’m dang proud and feel privileged to have received the vaccine. I’ll happily show my card to anyone in the hopes that A: they’ll be more comfortable getting it or B: they’ll feel safer around me. I’ll happily don a mask for any teacher willing to donate their time and asking for it. What a small price for such graciously given knowledge!

Now, let’s make some stuff!

12 Likes