Powder coat oven

No just have projects I want to get done.

At the last meeting we discussed whether we needed a big oven and wanted to keep using the parking lot as our spray booth, or could live with a smaller oven and include a proper spray booth and powdercoat gun. It wouldn’t be big enough to do car bumpers or cars, but could do wheels and most of what we would actually need. There would definitely be a few projects a year that wouldn’t fit in this size oven but we need to be realistic on whether we have an oven sized for 100% of what people might ever want or 80%.

Columbia Coatings Q184878.pdf (175.9 KB)

3 Likes

Ok cool sorry I did not know about the change thank you for letting me know about it

Texas Pinball Festival is coming up and VECTOR is getting machines ready to show.

4 Likes

I think that will work fine for our needs and then some… I reAlly like the fact it’s a spray booth as well, with Hepa filtration ,

3 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Needed: Live at Dallas Makerspace Pinball Sound Effects!

I have several new quotes of 3x3 paintbooths and ovens that we will discuss in metal shop meeting at 3 Saturday

5 Likes

SPRAY BOOTH!!! Would be appreciated universally

Calm down, Chris. It will be for spraying powder for the oven. The EPA and City of Carrollton requirements for a spray paint booth are too rigorous for anything DMS is capable of doing.

4 Likes

For those who are wondering, The board approved the new powder coating oven, new powder coating gun & a powder coating booth last week.

We are currently in the process of procuring the equipment.

To be crystal clear, the powder coating booth is NOT a paint booth…

16 Likes

Isn’t that what the vent hoods in science are for?

Note: I’m just joking. Do not use science vents as paint booths.

7 Likes

Great I’m ready to break it in

What size finally got approved? I was looking for the board meeting minutes and can’t find them. Last I heard there was a lot of debate with the size that we would get and which one we would buy. I’m looking forward to finally getting something that works!

The las thing i read about it said it was something like 32x32x60 oven and a powder coat booth to go with it…
But that could have changed…again.

I can’t find the notes of what we are getting, not very versed on the new system. We are getting a new middle ground powder coating gun. It is a variable voltage gun. I did manage to find that @MadScists dimensions are correct but it is an interior dimensions. The outside dimensions is 4ft by 4ft best I remember.

@TBJK if its 60" wouldn’t that be 5ft interior?
Making exterior 4ftx4ftx5.5/6ft?

That is correct

1 Like

The oven is 31X 33 X 60, the booth is 36 X 36 X about 71. The overall height is 100" but the top 24" is secondary filtration.

4 Likes

Is the booth now operational? I’m new to maker’s space and had interest in eventually trying to powder coat the original steel wheels, cast iron exhaust header and possibly intake manifold to the old '53 truck I’m working on.

Nothing is in house yet. According to the recent metal shop minutes (you’ll have to use your dms login to see them), the oven should be ordered soon. I believe there was some mix-up about who should do the ordering and it took a little while to get all the ducks in a row.

2 Likes