Powder coat oven

Lol the oven was ordered… they are making one for us… No ETA… the manufacturer is in Texas somewhere… that was the last update I got

1 Like

Any updates?

Nothing yet, Nate…

Any update on this ? @Team_Metal_Shop

2 Likes

I am also interested in knowing if there is ever going to be a new powder coat oven. I’m rather new and terrible with names, so this is going to be clear as mud. I brought this up in the last metal shop committee meeting. I believe the Metal Shop committee approved the purchase of the oven and it was up to another “higher up” member to actually purchase it. It was unclear if that person ever did. I wish I wrote down that person’s name so that we could remind them.

@artg_dms is the usual “go-to” for purchasing assistance. No idea if his services were requested in this case.
Edit to add: minutes linked above say “Justin”. Is that @skyspook ?

I think the last word on this was that it was ordered but needed to be built. So, it’s not under Makerspace control at this point. Forgive me if this is not useful information for you but If you just have small pieces and want to control your own destiny (I prefer being in control), you might consider buying a cheap toaster oven. Powder coat temperature is 400F, pizza making temperature. BUT, once an oven is used for powder coat, you can’t use it for food! (…and no gas or propane ovens, flame bad…)

Thank you for that information. Has anyone reached out to the company and see what the time frame is?

I’m out of the loop on this one.

1 Like

Not ordered yet due to a miscommunication, I’ll figure out how to order it after getting a current quote

3 Likes

Not ordered yet? Thanks for clarifying that. Knowing what’s up helps a lot. I HAD built one in the past but not sure Makerspace is open to that. It was simple and worked great and designed to hold a bicycle frame. Just wanted to throw that out there. Makerspace is a volunteer group and in the spirit of volunteering, I just wanted to at least offer the limited knowledge I have if it might help.

Has there been any update on this?

That time of year is starting to come up and there are several things that I would like to powder coat, lol!

2 Likes

@skyspook

Last I heard you and Randy were in contact with them.

1 Like

@rlisbona Were you able to get oven quotes and one ordered? T.i.A.

Not ordered yet, I have quotes, its only 5’ tall and I thought i asked for a qoute on taller one but haven’t had a chance to dig through all the emails yet. Bugs me that the oven would be too small for things like the new front lobby shelves. We’ll need hooks and something to hang the hooks on so probably loosing at least 6" in height I’m going on a bike trip on the 25th so want to get this worked out in the next week.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, has there been any movement on this?

Not ordered yet but im working on it

3 Likes

Edit: my Google Fu is weak. My bad!

Why? It’s up an running and classes are fairly regularly offered.

1 Like