Passing of Nick Silva

Hey all,
Its with heavy hearts that we have found we lost another maker. Nick Silva passed away last week. I know we will miss him. I’ve reached out for contact information for the family, incase anyone wants to help or assist the family.

Older picture from an older post of Nick.

IMG_0437 - Nicolas Silva

11 Likes

Thank you for letting us know, Tim. Anyone who spent time at DMS with Nick knows the vacuum his passing will leave in the room.

12 Likes

That is sad to hear, Nick has been a huge part of DMS for many many years. He will be missed!

9 Likes

Very sad news. He was a high-level, all-around maker, one of the primary (only) Haas trainers for a long time, and was always happy to help people and share his expertise. He liked to say “Create Every Day”.

Some of his shares

9 Likes

Truly a loss. Our mortality is always with us.

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
“Pluck the day, trusting as little as possible in the next one”

6 Likes

I really appreciate the collection of images that you’ve put together. Yes…“Create every day”

5 Likes

This is very sad news. Nick was an amazing maker and teacher. He will be missed.

6 Likes

So sad. He was a talented and incredibly diverse artist and one of the most prolific instructors in Machine Shop. We will all miss him.

5 Likes

Truly a loss for the makerspace, and even our corner of the world.
Rest in peace good sir.

5 Likes

So sorry to read this. Nick was so dedicated and out spoken in his passions.

Thanks for sharing @TBJK. If I can poke anyone here that worked with or even appreciated Nick to post on to his condolences. In this time of loss our families look to anything for comfort and reading honest stories and thanks can cement memories of our loved ones.

4 Likes

Damn, RIP Nick Silva! 2023 seems to be trying to top the disaster that was 2020-2021.

Thanks for all the project knowledge and even the critiques! We are all better for it.

6 Likes

This is really sad…Nick was a very talented guy, and was always very helpful. Will miss him.

3 Likes

Oh no! He was such a great guy, and so willing to share his knowledge. He will be truly missed.

5 Likes

Well this sucks. He was one of the first people I met at DMS and helped us launch the resin sig. I appreciated that he told it straight and didnt take crap from anyone. He donated a ton of stamps to the leather sig and was always willing to help.

11 Likes

Rip, Nick. I will miss our talks. I learned so much from Nick. I will take it on myself to carry on a small part of his legacy and go ape-sh@t when someone puts crap on the surface plate, cheers, Nick.

10 Likes

Bummer.

This is why we cannot keep nice things…

6 Likes

For those that would like to take part in a Wake for Nick, there will be gathering at Old House BBQ, 1905 N. Josey Ln. Carrollton, TX 75057 at 7PM this Sunday evening.

9 Likes

Seems to me that if Looney Tunes & Bugs Bunny hadn’t gotten there first, Nick would have been an apt model for the descriptor “wascally”.

Never shy, occasionally over the top, eager to teach & help, beyond creative. Rest in peace Maker.

6 Likes

Along those lines, Nick also played a key part in standing up the ‘Plastics Committee’/Work Area. Saw a guy cutting acrylic in Woodshop the other day, and thought “Nick Silva would have quickly redirected that person to the plastics-approved saws.” Nick definitely had a hand in a lot of DMS areas.

7 Likes

Oh no, I just saw this. Nick was awesome. I sat at the DMS talking with him about art, beer, the ways of the world, a lot over the years. He had incredible insight and experiences to share.

3 Likes