Let's put art on the ceiling - not individual tiles

My son’s elementary school did this for the entry hall. It looks awful. Like an epic Pinterest fail.

7 Likes

I’m thinking a max of 4 per room. I don’t like covering all of them with them either

I’m thinking that we have walls for a reason and this will look terrible.

4 Likes

That is the kind of art I’m talking about … awesome

We could do one of the tiles to look like there is a space above the ceiling … perhaps on a tile some place that has high ceilings …

3d-false-ceiling-design-of-gypsum-board-for-hallways 11-5-e1539537830908-630x350

decorative-fluorescent-ceiling-light-panels-art-and-lens-designs-lighting-delectable-awesome

3 Likes

Ok - how about let’s NOT reduce the brightness in the rooms.

Visual noise on every surface is not pleasant to many as well.

2 Likes

I would say some purple rooms need a little brightness darkening. But I would also say to not cover the ceiling with art but have splashes of it … besides some might incorporate lighting

1 Like

I’ll try to get some pictures of the ceiling tiles at my school. I’m not a fan to be honest, but the kids love them.

I love the idea of a communal art project and people “making a mark” on our space - however, I personally don’t like the look. Right now, I think it’s absolutely critical to push some energies into getting the space upright (it looks knocked down and rough in parts) and so many people are working to get it back up - but I believe we need a strong - systematic - nauseatingly overly organized push to get us looking ship shape - art should and will come - but right now some of the areas at dms are in need. I will post my thoughts when I have time.

11 Likes

Agreed. Perhaps another option…say a 10x10 Show?

1 Like

I enjoy the 10x10. I think it should run all year - not as a contest but to show off work.
Maybe dedicate one wall (10’ x 10’ sounds right) to a member/artist that can fill it for a couple of months at a time.

3 Likes

Or have a rotating Committee wall of 10x10’s?

1 Like

This. So much this.

3 Likes

Totally agree! 10x10 is something that should run continually!

We discussed in the Non-beer & bitch about putting up Maker Art & projects on the walls.

It needs to happen.

2 Likes

We talked about another 10x10 briefly in the chair bnb last weekend and agreed to start something, even if not a contest. I agreed to take the lead to try to get the walls prettied up (but if anyone else wants to go for it.) My first step is to find out from @anonymous_bosh which walls he is willing to let us display our artwork on, since I was told PR owns almost the walls.

2 Likes

I removed the one tile to each person thing. I do want some art or different lighting on the ceiling.
Did you see the pictures?

Let's put art on the ceiling tiles
Let's put art on the ceiling tiles

Does your school look like the above?

What is the cost to to replace a mass amount of tiles should we have to?

1 Like

PR only has control of designated spaces. Namely the announcement board and the new lobby. CA has the hallway in next to the old CA space. I’m sure we can agree that adjustments need to be made.

At home depot, it is about 55 cents a square foot. However, as I’ve scaled back, it shoudn’t be mass amounts.