Let's put art on the ceiling - not individual tiles

I’ll try to get some pictures of the ceiling tiles at my school. I’m not a fan to be honest, but the kids love them.

I love the idea of a communal art project and people “making a mark” on our space - however, I personally don’t like the look. Right now, I think it’s absolutely critical to push some energies into getting the space upright (it looks knocked down and rough in parts) and so many people are working to get it back up - but I believe we need a strong - systematic - nauseatingly overly organized push to get us looking ship shape - art should and will come - but right now some of the areas at dms are in need. I will post my thoughts when I have time.

11 Likes

Agreed. Perhaps another option…say a 10x10 Show?

1 Like

I enjoy the 10x10. I think it should run all year - not as a contest but to show off work.
Maybe dedicate one wall (10’ x 10’ sounds right) to a member/artist that can fill it for a couple of months at a time.

3 Likes

Or have a rotating Committee wall of 10x10’s?

1 Like

This. So much this.

3 Likes

Totally agree! 10x10 is something that should run continually!

We discussed in the Non-beer & bitch about putting up Maker Art & projects on the walls.

It needs to happen.

2 Likes

We talked about another 10x10 briefly in the chair bnb last weekend and agreed to start something, even if not a contest. I agreed to take the lead to try to get the walls prettied up (but if anyone else wants to go for it.) My first step is to find out from @anonymous_bosh which walls he is willing to let us display our artwork on, since I was told PR owns almost the walls.

2 Likes

I removed the one tile to each person thing. I do want some art or different lighting on the ceiling.
Did you see the pictures?

Let's put art on the ceiling tiles
Let's put art on the ceiling tiles

Does your school look like the above?

What is the cost to to replace a mass amount of tiles should we have to?

1 Like

PR only has control of designated spaces. Namely the announcement board and the new lobby. CA has the hallway in next to the old CA space. I’m sure we can agree that adjustments need to be made.

At home depot, it is about 55 cents a square foot. However, as I’ve scaled back, it shoudn’t be mass amounts.

These are prints on backlit print media that people put up around my office. Not ideal for work areas where light color is an issue, but just a thought since the HP wide format printer can print this type of media.
Imgur

3 Likes

In Graphic Arts, there is an understood rule of the workplace that seems completely counter intuitive: all surfaces WILL be neutral and sedate. The walls are gray, the ceiling tiles are white, the carpet or flooring is boring. The idea is this: keep the color sense of the personnel centered in the spectrum, and unshifted by the work environment. You walk into these big ad firms or printing houses, and the lobby can display their best work, but production areas will put your eyes to sleep. The artists tend to fight back; they fill their cubicles with action figures, crazy calendars, and screen savers of fascinating creative scope.

I love inspiring work! It sparks the imagination, and brings us to a higher creative level. Conversely, I hate crap work (Matisse cutouts come to mind). So, if we were to cover every surface with just anything, it would definitely be an overload of noise. But there are spaces in the environment that are crying out for something exceptional.

Is it possible to make Art by Committee? I dunno…but could we put the Sistine Chapel on the ceiling of a hallway? OH YES!

Sistine_chapel_God_Adam

2 Likes

This is why they pay you the big bucks! Thank you!

2 Likes

Did you know God in that painting is in the shape of the brain?

3 Likes

Interesting, my experience in the Advertising, Print, and digital signage industry has been 100% opposite.

I did 35 years in the industry; Quad, RR Donnelley, Nat Geo, World Color Press, Williamson, Tracey Locke, Playboy, US Treasury, Blanks, etc… I have to say that Williamson was the most surprising. They had no Art in their hallways (and they were at the pinnacle of print production for decades), it was just miles and miles of their industry awards. Their production area was like a damned cleanroom. The best is the Federal Reserve! They actually have a curator for their collection, and they display fabulous work in their lobbies, but production is still just gray and lifeless. Maybe a plant here or there, snooze.

1 Like

I strongly recommend procuring the balance of the hanging wall system hardware that worked so amazingly well for last years’s 10x10.

@heyheymama can provide the links, details, etc.

It literally made all the difference in hanging last year’s show.

3 Likes

Infrastructure would have to approve anything like that.