Joy of Maintaining the Woodshop

They’re not really that expensive though. I think you could get fully trained for well under $100? That’s the price of one class anywhere else, often more.

I think one of those rotary yellow lights would be a blatantly obvious signal without being obnoxious. It could maybe turn red when it’s jam packed and absolutely needs to be emptied, and maybe that’s when the universal kill switch would be engaged. But as someone else said there’s a fair bit of risk when your machine shuts off suddenly. Could certainly ruin some nice lumber that way or risk it being thrown by the router or table saw suddenly changing speed of the blades.

1 Like

Shouldn’t be too difficult to set the lockouts to wait until a machine is off before locking out the power if dust collection is full

I don’t think the problem is the initial training, but members who get training and come back months later to start their first project aren’t going to remember everything they should. I would rather have reminders or short chunks of information available so if they forget something they can quickly get what they need.

Expanding the training course and expecting people to remember even more details just makes the problem worse

5 Likes

This is also where a YouTube channel with some refresher training videos would be helpful. “Been a while since you’ve been in the shop? scan this QR code to watch a short video”

Though there have been attempts in the past to get a Digital Media collaboration with individual committees, it is ultimately a lot of work so I can understand why it never went anywhere. I wonder if that would be a good time to double up and make classes on how to film and edit video while also making actual training videos for the channel.

2 Likes

I suspect if you were to analyze the destructive mistakes by equipment type, you would be able to pinpoint 3-6 equipment specific “don’t do this” rules that if followed would dramatically reduce the damage. Once members get basic how-to training, then finding an effective way to blatantly alert them to the “don’ts” when they make infrequent shop visits seems like a good way to balance resources and manpower.

6 Likes

It would be awesome if digital media could record some instructions for the equipment. Kevin also had a demo on his VR head set that had a miter saw. I’m not sure what other tools are available via his VR set up. Im not sure I would want it as a woodshop class replacement but it does seem like it might be good for a reminder if someone needed it.

1 Like

Totally agree, I think just a reminder/refresher video would be very helpful for our more used areas or the more complex tools. Shooting for a 10-20 min range so we could add an ad or 2 into the video and generate some additional funds for DMS in the process.

1 Like

Just an FYI, the “downcut” isn’t the problem. The speed, rpm, and dwell time in the hole are the controlling factors. Any bit run at a speed and feedrate that leaves the rotating bit in contact with combustible material too long will get hot. If it gets hot enough, ignition occurs. A correct bit feed and speed rate will make the cut with a bit never exceeding a temperature that is too hot to touch with skin.

Not my business anymore, but did want to warn that using an upcut bit in the exact same way can also start a fire.

4 Likes

I’m not sure a video or training would rectify a situation where all 4 sanders needed their pads replaced all at once. I’d hate to see the results of sanding a project with four sanders bare pads reduced to shreds… I guess my father showing me some common sense woodworking procedures as a kid really paid off without my knowledge he was teaching me.

If this is how they use sanders, I’m terrified to watch them use the table saw.

2 Likes

I’m happy to help behind the camera with video. @dougemes and @Team_Education are piloting video training with Laser. I think @Mrksls2 has also offered to help demonstrate when it’s Woodshop’s turn.

@shoottx has a great idea to start teaching classes based on interests. His example is for aspiring wood turners, the class would cover the lathe, bandsaw, drill press, and sanders.

This is a great idea, because we need to train people how to cut a log safely on the bandsaw. This is how breakage occurs, as well as the possibility of losing a limb, or getting hit in the head as part of a tree goes flying.

2 Likes

Steve, just an observation about humans and from training them in a past career:
I have found folks to fall somewhere along a scale starting with experts and ending with over confident idiots. The refresher videos are great for those in the middle and will address the small amount of damage done by the caring folk in the middle. I have no doubt you and Adair would take time and even prioritize a refresher video. It’s the ones further down the scale you need to reach to make a real dent.

Subject Matter Experts … Those who will ask for help … Those who have no idea what they don’t know

1 Like

We get a lot of new woodworkers, who have absolutely zero experience in a shop or using tools, their perspective is wholly different and I wouldn’t be surprised if someone thought the velcro was sandpaper and that it took tools to change out.

I saw some guys milling a board once and when they had the piece planed and the sides square they started to run the end grain through the jointer, because that’s the tool they use to square up the edges, right? We stopped them and brought them over to the table saw and showed them to the crosscut sled, they were quite happy to be given the advice, but without it they had no idea that what they were doing was wrong.

2 Likes

I would 100% not be surprised if someone thought the velcro was sandpaper or if they absentmindedly picked it up and assumed it was already on. I usually find more errors are in ignorance.

1 Like

Bert

Good to hear from you.

After the excitement this week, soon to be added to this thread, can you tell us what material you got for the Multicam under the spoil board

2 Likes

It was a sheet of solid 1/2" phenolic. If that was damaged, I would repair with bondo or epoxy putty.

1 Like

Oh good

Not are we already kinda on the Fire inspectors list for the amount of dust and walkway clearance, now we have extension cords! Sheesh

Go ahead and unplug and send it to purgatory!

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Multicam Episode… lost count

So last Friday I drove over to Plywood Company of Fort Worth and picked up two sheets of the special MDF used as a spoil board for the Multicam. After delivery several folks, I don’t know all involved, cut the panels to size, prepared the edges, pulled the old spoil board off, installed the new spoil board. Then the spoil board was surfaced, the head was trammed, and the surface was re-surfaced. It’s was a big effort, thanks to all involved.

I was in the shop till very late Sunday and the surface was pristine. Monday morning I got this picture

followed by these;

Fortunately, I had purchased two pieces of the special MDF and the folks were able to replace the panel and resurface the spoil board and put the Multicam back in business.

Again thanks to all that made this happen!

Everyone involved made sure none to the sparks made their way to the Dust collector, and cleaned out the filters on the vacuum.

4 Likes

Since you have access to the cameras in woodshop, did you also contact the person who did this to find out why it happened? Did the person report it?

If they did report it then posting this is not excellent in my opinion. It is shaming a person who reported when something was broken or went wrong. We ask people to report things so we can fix them and thank them for doing so.

those burn marks look like the pic that was put on the show and tell thread

this is the one