Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - January 2020

@Jeeves
That’s a cool idea. Not sure how to do it without messing it up.

@adnantalat Love it! It was nice meeting y’all in class.

Im already trying it with mine. It is risky but I’ll let you know how it turns out.

From @Lordrook 's potion bottle class on Friday (aka a shot glass or vase, haven’t decided yet).

9 Likes

Almost done with glass on glass mosaic. Just need to grout.

Need some work on my glass fusing implementation, but I like it anyway

Potion bottles :heart: Haven’t decided how to use them yet, but they’re pretty and I got to test out some techniques for the dragon egg

Finally fixed my stained glass. You can tell I’m a novice by my lack of clean lines, but at least it’s stable now. I’m pretty sure no one will notice the messiness hanging in the window.

13 Likes

New pyro art piece made today on the multicam (Not by me)

8 Likes

Fibonacci spiral trivet with copper accents. Forged from 1/4” round rod and 10 ga copper wire.

Thanks to @ioport51 for the primer on making the spiral form jig which made this possible.

#ToolsToMakeTools

20 Likes

Very cool. Like the contrast of colors

2 Likes

And the OD is??

eight inches
(spelled out to make the S/W happy)

Outstanding!!

What was your largest radius??

1,1,2,3,5,8,13 was the Fibonacci sequence I used for the spiral.

I used 1 cm as my base. The whole jig is about 8.25" tall, but not all of that is used (I ignored a bit more than the last square once the legs were combined).
I forged out three, laid them over each other to confirm similarity (and made a couple of adjustments), then laid them out inside an 8" square. I then determined where to join them, and bent the excess down as legs.

I then clamped a 2x4 fence on the band saw table, placed the top of the trivet against the fence, and cut all three legs to the same length. I then used the bench grinder to grind down individual legs until it sat level.

5 Likes

I am seeing 459 degrees rotation ??

It’s about 1.5 revs. 1.5*360 = 540, so close to that.

1 Like

Can you post a shot of the jig?

Sure, as long as you don’t comment on my sloppy spot-welds. I was doing them outside after sunset.

10 Likes

24 Likes

A little sample of the current project in early design stages. I’m making a full scale, transforming Crescent Rose from RWBY (it’s a gun scythe). I’m planning to use 6061 Aluminum for the whole thing, most parts plasma cut with some light machining to make the movement smoother. Currently leaning toward Oxblood Ransom, Flat Black Chrome, and Black Jack for the powder coats. Final design should stand approximately 6’4" tall, but folds down to about 3’ if I play the cards right.

https://myhub.autodesk360.com/ue2af0b70/g/shares/SH56a43QTfd62c1cd968a5fefd9ae95a86a3

10 Likes

What mineral is that?