Joy of Maintaining the Woodshop

Yes, we know who did it, yes they stayed and helped resolve the problem. and yes there has been some discussion about the issue.

And yes, this is just one more issue of maintenance, after the maintenance was just completed. It adds to an already busy maintenance schedule for limited help, it puts a strain on willing volunteers.

Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday for the Woodshop Committee meeting and the cleanup day.

1 Like

Yup, the Multicam contribution to accidental Art.

1 Like

Good Lord … shaming??? This was a serious reminder that needs to be spread far and wide that spinning things can create enough heat to start a fire that can get real bad real fast. Doesn’t just apply to the Multicam and the Shapeoko CNC’s, but to anywhere you spin something against a combustible.

DMS has many high speed versions of this and members need to really understand it demands respect:

1 Like

It is with immense sadness that I agree with you. (And the sadness is about the tool abuse, believe me. I am a great admirer of Festool.) It is because I believe that the Makerspace could produce the next Maloof, growing woodworkers who produce beautiful creative things out of beautiful materials. And precision work of that type is gated by the quality of the tools. Wood hacking can be done in the garage with a skil saw, but even a nice cutting board requires that the tools can cut, rout, or plane accurately.

While simpler, cheaper machines are probably the direction the space will go, it will not stop the downtime, or the repair required, when people abuse the tools. The cheaper tools are marketed to the hobbist, or DIYer, for weekend use, not the constant use and abuse that tools receive at the MakersSpace.

The core issue is to minimize the destruction, from carelessness and ignorance, because the heavy use will always be a reality in the woodshop. Tools with sharp edges will always require maintenance.

1 Like

Whilst I agree that cheaper tools are going to break more, I would argue there is a threshold at which their is a beneficial crossover.

Most members are familiar with things like Mean Time Between Failures, but the more important item to consider is Mean Time Between Repairs.

The Kaypex for example keeps going away for weeks, and the Drum Sander has was broken for at least a month last I heard. A harbor freight tool, while it may break more often, is more readily replaced to keep things in service. There is a limit to the this of course, however it is something to discuss.

Nice tools that break a few times a year are just as bad as tools that break constantly if they’re offline for such long periods of time.

So people are using tools that they obviously don’t know how to use . . .

Have a rider in the membership that says people are monetarily responsible for damage to tools in the event of irresponsible/improper use. Pretty reasonable, yes?

I’ll bet this solves the problem overnight if there are accountability measures in place.

1 Like

And if the shop needs a super cheap organizational tool that will solve a lot of headaches and make it easy to find out who is/has used a tool, and who isn’t putting stuff back where it belongs make a shadowboard. Easily one of the best things to implement that exponentially increases cleanliness and ability to find tools.

1 Like

Good lord, Bert, yes it is shaming. Next time I give a tour I can confidently tell them that they won’t have it held over their heads if they report that they damaged something…for all committees except woodshop who will post all about it and how laborious it is to mop up after you slobs. You want to post stuff like this about the dust collector? Fine. But the multicam issue was reported, so yes, I think it sucks.

And @shoottx ah yes, the good ole’ “we will see you at the next maintenance day” line, which is just a nice way to say keep your opinion to yourself unless you are in the trenches with us.

1 Like

The fact that it was reported doesn’t really matter here, we didn’t know until we asked. They’re all presented here in the same manner. The community forms the same opinion either way.

Not showing these things in public would leave the door open to repeats. By posting them, people who aren’t in the woodshop will see it and think twice before they go down the same path.

4 Likes

There are 2 fire extinguishers in the Woodshop, one by each exit door. I have a spare fire extinguisher that can be mounted by the Multi-Cam. I placed the extra extinguisher, with a wall bracket and toggle bolt, on the tool grinder table. Suggest it be part of Saturday’s clean-up day.

So how about posting something productive like how to prevent that from happening in the future.

1 Like

Thank you for acknowledging the proper point. It is noteworthy that the member was never identified and there are no people in the pictures. It is all a presentation of behavior not desired, an example of money and sweat equity wasted and an even-handed membership notice that better is expected.

4 Likes

Sure thing :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Touche. And more characters.

I have to agree with Michael here; if we were tagging the user and blaming them I would consider this shaming, but here I consider this a lesson learned.

4 Likes

If it were me and I saw this posted about something I did, I would feel shittier than I already probably did and would be embarrassed. Even without my name attached. I understand your intent, but I doubt it will accomplish what you expect it to do and may actually lead to less people reporting when they break things.

1 Like

:woman_shrugging: I also find it informative. I have no idea who did it but I have been reminded of some possible woodshop issues to look out for so I hopefully don’t make similar mistakes.

5 Likes

You have just defined Makerspace in a nutshell. Classes (1?) are generally required to gain access to our wide arrange of tools. So great, you’re given access but that doesn’t mean the person knows what to do other than learn by trial and error (sometimes dangerously). Hopefully they gain experience with each attempt to use a particular tool. The problem with trial and error is things are going to break. If they experienced that on their own equipment it would be a string of Oh S**** moments. I say OS because now they have to PAY for their own mistakes on their own equipment. We don’t have that same requirement unless it is outright abuse on purpose.
One suggestion was of course a mentoring by other volunteers. Good idea but putting into practice is a different matter. If people were willing to do that they would probably teach! And we’re not seeing a lot of that.
Other considerations (while depending on the machine) is when exactly is someone competent to be able to run said equipment unattended? Let me elaborate - on the HAAS mill, taking the class did not grant you unrestricted access. You built your domino to get experience. It wasn’t until after the student could show they could run their own project without help that they were granted access. Sometimes it would take one personal project sometimes more. Unfortunately this system does require someone willing to supervise the student. I no longer have the time to do it so I don’t. Now, this is important because the machine shop wants to change it so that if you’re signed off you can sign off another user. Bad idea. There are 3-4 supervisors and they should be the ones that do that. Removing this particular requirement - well I can see the HAAS heading the way of the multicam which only requires you get checked out (with help) - meaning being broke every, EVERY week. But that’s the risk we take by being so open and there being no financial consequences or rarely even any consequences at all.
Oh well, this went on longer than I expected. Thank you to everyone who helps maintain the woodshop and other departments. There is no easy solution so just keep an eye out for people hurting the equipment and please just say something. Cheers!

3 Likes

Still more man hours but less than some other ideas … Could woodshop or any other committee that might need this have advertised hours of supervision? Like a couple hours a week where is advertised that someone would be there to answer questions and help? It wouldn’t help everyone but might with that middle category.

1 Like

Basically for the already trained… I know metal shop has had some practice welding sessions before.