Dallas Makerspace Show & Tell - September 2018

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space here!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing interesting things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing at Dallas Makerspace this month!

There are many wonderful projects that can be seen on last month’s Show & Tell, visible at this link.

Posting here helps not only promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer blog content!

• a decent QUALITY photo
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY

Latest finished slip cast piece

29 Likes

Finished my entry for the September 10x10.

The blade is a commercial one I bought off Amazon.

The handle is from a mule deer shed I found on my property in Colorado.

The prarie rattler snakeskin in the leather sheath is one I tanned last year after my neighbor shot it in her barn.

21 Likes

A couple months ago I took @indytruks138 Ryan’s end grain cutting board class. This is an awesome class and I highly recommend it.

Anyway, due to personal errors and challenges, this was the cutting board from hell. I now know so many different ways to mess this up, and ways to fix those errors (thank you to everyone who helped me).

Ryan offered me a couple small chunks of walnut cut-off that I believe were headed for the trash. The second photo shows the piece I whipped up using a piece of that cut-off for the pin-routed feet, the finials, and the corner columns.

No scrap is too small to save …

25 Likes

RPG terrain: Windswept Tower

Made for a terrain crafting competition on Facebook.

28 Likes

Avengers Assemble!
finally finished my 10x10. An Engraved Leather on Wood Aztec style calendar of the Avengers. Goes well with last years Star Wars Calendar. Next year - DC Superheros?

27 Likes

Took @Lordrook wine stem class 2 weeks ago and wanted to do an inlay. After many attempts, 3 different glues, and switching from copper to brass it finally didn’t pop off while filing on the lathe.

15 Likes

Very nice. What parts did you glue, and what type of glue did you settle upon?

Created glass pendants in Anita Willis microwave glass class. Fun and quick!

19 Likes

Gluing the copper/brass wire in, I went with a high heat Loctite epoxy. I also slowed the lathe down all the way to minimize heating up while I was filing it down. I think CA glue and normal epoxy was popping off partly due to catching the lip where the two ends of the wire met and the wire heating up breaking the bond on the glue.

1 Like

Thanks. I like the idea of a “high heat epoxy”. I’ll have to look for that. I have some West epoxy, but I admit I haven’t tried it for anything like that (I was disappointed in the color). I don’t know how much heat the West epoxy will tolerate.

I use CA glue all the time to hold my blank onto the faceplate (do not try this at home. I’m using small blanks not much larger than acorns). I find that when the blank heats up (usually due to dull tools, in my case) then the CA glue is at risk of popping off.

Made a jelly roll rug that our cat has already claimed as his own.

28 Likes

Is that a variation of an old fashioned braided rug ? What is in the tuves

I’m Tom Anderson and this is my Varisent business project, called the Buster!
I need to focus on the electronics, but i’m sort of stuck on needing to do the ‘carcass’!
it’s 5/8" Baltic Birch plywood, and i’ll be routing on the Multi-CAM…can’t wait.
thanks,

Carcass_x4-outline-front.pdf (457.0 KB)

I rarely like the things I make. Mostly because I’m bad at glazing and infrequently does it turn out exactly as I want it to. But once in a blue moon…an exception!

Matte Black 1 that ran just right into surface chatter covered in Selsor Oribe. The Oribe even crazed the same amount as my test tile.

John Britt glaze recipes over Trinity T-Mix Clay Body.

26 Likes

I used a macrame bead mold to make a small ceramic bottle necklace.

bottle necklace

21 Likes

New cotton dishtowels in progress, some assembly required.

This is picking out seeds and leaves from cotton, under close supervision, as always.

When ready to spin, like at tonight’s Fiberfrolic, I card the cotton on hand-carders to fluff it evenly for smoother spinning. Then it’s being spun on a tahkli-style support spindle (tip rests in dish).

Ultimately, once this spindle is full, I’ll spin a second one, then ply those together to make cotton yarn for weaving. Once I have enough of those skeins, I’ll weave new dishtowels.

It’s taking awhile to spin since I’m keeping the single-ply around the size of sewing thread or a bit smaller. But since it’s very portable, it’s adding up during a lot of stolen moments.

To give you an idea on time so far:

The seed/leaf trash picking sessions were a couple of binge-watched Doctor Who episodes, a lazy extended gab session after a class at DMS, and hanging out with family.

The spinning sessions were two and a half LoTR movies, an afternoon hanging with family, this evening’s Fiberfrolic and a gab-session afterwards, and a round-trip this past weekend to Houston and back to Dallas.

(Road trip!)

19 Likes