Printing tactile signs?

I believe ABS can be painted.

I’m not trying to be difficult, but someone has to officially decide what to name the various classrooms before I can complete the list.

I don’t want to restart the room naming discussion here.

5 Likes

Creating Braille for ADA signs:

https://www.engraversjournal.com/article.php/3250/index.html

2 Likes

ABS can be given a “vapor bath” of acetone to smooth it out. It reduces the unsightly “printed feel”.

I am tempted to suggest the already existing printed signage on the bathrooms, however cute it is, be given a good vapor bath to make them look much more professional.

Just name all the classrooms different colors? Makes themeing them in the future much easier.

There are a lot of considerations for naming the rooms, but let’s please not go down the rabbit hole of classroom names in this post.

Here are some other posts where it has been discussed (but not yet resolved). Any of these others would be a good place to discuss suggestions for names:

Naming the classrooms
Signs for each classroom
Grid coordinate system

1 Like

Not sure Alison can read braille but I can check

2 Likes

A bit of emphasis added…

1 Like

I can’t tell from the front-on view. Are those braille dots domed, or are they flat topped?

I looked at it Sunday. They are flat topped and I get now why they have to be domed. It is much harder to distinguish the individual dots when they are flat.

Going over it lightly with fine sandpaper will dull that shine without significantly affecting the shape.

1 Like

Wonder what the vapor hone would do to it.

A side view of the model…

The complete model as an STL file…

Galley Sign.zip (1.1 MB)

In my experience our 3D printers struggle with tight curves along the Z-axis. They tend to end up as somewhat random blobs.

just make all the z drop offs 90 degrees and dremel to curve them?

Excellent question. Can it be turned down to “super whimpy mode”?

(You’re welcome to test. Just let me know if you need a replacement sign.)

Are you volunteering to tidy the dots?

2 Likes

yeah sure! I got a dremel and a massive box of tips of various grains.

i was planning on being at the space wed /thurs late night. are the signs printed /ready somewhere?

There was a printed sign for the galley on a table in the galley. At least- there was last night. …

1 Like

There was / is. But it has the attempt at domed dots. I’ll have to make a few with cylinder-dots.

“Tidying” the dots seems like a big task.

However, if we can find the right size cup bur, it might not be too bad. It looks like 1.6mm is the right size, and it looks like we could buy 1.6mm Busch burs from Gesswein.

5 Likes