Printing tactile signs?

So - it looks like we might have to spend a bundle to have “tactile signs” in the places where ADA requires them. Some signs, like Exit and restrooms, we can purchase off the shelf. Others might require customization. Without getting into where they’re required … Could we 3D print tactile signs?

I know that @Brian has the pause perfected, so we could in theory print the background in one color and then switch to a different color for the letters.

4 Likes

Should work well. The base can be as thin as 1mm (there is a little bit of warping) and the symbols can be as thin as 0.5mm or as thick as needed.

Do you mind posting links to an example or two?

1 Like

This might get us in the ballpark

braille plaque generator found on #Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:179301

@John_Marlow Chris, can you get me a list of what you want on the signs and I’ll see if I can print a few off as samples

Edit: Brian, I’d like to learn your two color technique :wink:

4 Likes

This seemed like a good, informative site with some examples…
http://tactilesign.com/

For the curious, here’s a governmental interpretation of their own code for Title III. Signage, the section where this would be defined, is 4.30:

https://www.access-board.gov/guidelines-and-standards/buildings-and-sites/about-the-ada-standards/background/adaag#4.30

3 Likes

Obviously, the “swoosh” is an optional design feature.

It has to be “high contrast” and non-shiny.

The braille is typically the same color as the background so it is less obvious to sighted people, but there’s no reason it couldn’t be the same color as the raised letter if necessary.

Other specs include certain sans serif fonts such as Helvetica, Futura, Arial, or Lucida Sans.

Text must be all uppercase with no italics or script.

Minimum text size is 5/8", max is 2". Min 1/8" between letters.

On signs which designate permanent rooms and spaces, tactile characters must be accompanied by Grade 2 Braille, a series of contractions that forms a shorthand version of braille. Braille must be raised a minimum of 0.025" and a maximum of 0.037". Braille must be located below the corresponding text. If the text is more than one line, the braille can be located below the entire text. Also, there must be at least 3/8" between the braille and the nearest tactile characters.

This is a really good spec sheet

2 Likes

If you can make it, class tomorrow…
https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/8861

1 Like

Three that I know we need, right off the top of my head:

GALLEY
ELECTRICAL ROOM (qty 2)
SERVER ROOM (qty 2)

Please choose either Arial or Lucida Sans as the font, and we’ll try to standardize on that. I have a slight personal preference for Lucida Sans but if you want to play around you can try both of them.

2 Likes

FYI: Braille dots have to be a distinct dome shaped, not sure if you can get that on the 3D printers.

1 Like

You might be able to print it with the form 2 and then insert it in a plaque.

I think it would be nice if all rooms had one. I think it should have the DMS logo as well on it.

1 Like

0.2 mm is a reasonable number to use for minimum layer height. If the ridges are noticeable that can be smoothed with acetone.

Is the logo available in a vector form?

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Logo

1 Like

I don’t know if that would work for compliance, acetone doesn’t give it a very uniform smoothness. I know 3d printers are not used to make them in the sign industry, but I can check the details of why at work tomorrow. I don’t want to see anyone go through the trouble of making them just to be denied in an inspection. When it comes to ADA they are sticklers.

1 Like

Probably because the sign industry was established long before 3D printers were a thing. Plus, I have the distinct impression that 3D printers aren’t fast enough to be effective for commercial production. They’re great for one-off’s, and prototypes, but not so much production.

5 Likes

1 Like

I worked in a sign shop many moons ago and we would drill slightly undersized holes and press little plastic balls in to them. the friction fit would hold them quite well, but we also didnt 3d print signs, we used a cnc router and acrylic sheet.

Something like these.

2 Likes

For the braile part could we use one of these? Reizen RL-350 Braille Labeler https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00II08XH6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_pF8eCbMN19G3K

2 Likes

I find this problem fascinating. There are some tools out there for 3D printing like this one.

If we can’t get what we need from free tools maybe we can make something to do this better (and share it like on GitHub).

2 Likes

If I made some test signs, does anyone know someone who can read Braille to rate the signs? It would suck to make a bunch of signs that are hard to read or just plain wrong.

1 Like

Aside from the fact that we’re going to need some signs, I am intrigued by the fact that this appears to be a problem that doesn’t have a cost-effective solution. This modeler looks like a good tool - or at least a great first step.

I think we’re all reasonably confident that we can print the raised letters, but the braille is the challenge.

BTW, FWIW, all braille signage is required to be all lower case.

1 Like

If they are actual balls then they are not compliant. The dimensions given in ADA-TECH-GUIDE1.pdf make the dots a half-flying-saucer shape.

The text conversion for our current list is just a lower case spelling of the word. Modeling in SolidWorks for GALLEY went well and quickly. I suggest we get our three signs done then use what we learn to work on a general purpose sign-maker.

+1.

While at DMS this evening I will print a GALLEY sign. The text / sign is half-sized. The braille is correctly sized. I will leave the sign on one of the tables in the galley. Opinions welcomed.

If very precise braille dots are important, machining is a good choice. We can still make the signs from plastic with over-sized dots then machine them to the exact shape / size. (Though, if we go with machining, I’d prefer wooden signs.)

2 Likes