Printing tactile signs?

“Tidying” the dots seems like a big task.

However, if we can find the right size cup bur, it might not be too bad. It looks like 1.6mm is the right size, and it looks like we could buy 1.6mm Busch burs from Gesswein.

5 Likes

Is this a reasonable summary at this point?

• FDM printed dots are unacceptable.

• The texture is unattractive which may be improved by smoothing the surface.

• ABS tends to become too shiny with a smoothed surface but that may be countered with sanding or a vapor hone.

• Yes
  • No
  • A little of both. Here’s my opinion…

0 voters

And:

• A Braille label-maker can be had for 25 bucks…
2 Likes

The one Alex mentioned above gets the best reviews of the ones available. But, having said that, it still gets terrible reviews - difficult to get consistent results, and unreadable Braille generated.

2 Likes

fair enough!

1 Like

Can someone please print the sample file I posted above on a SLA printer like the Form printer at the space? I don’t have training on the printer yet otherwise I would print it. SLA will absolutely work.

I dislike the label maker because I question the durability (adhesive, hollow dome, softer plastic). Plus they look cheap. I think the SLA printed parts will look better, last longer, and the cool factor is through the roof.

2 Likes

It has been sent for repair.

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/issue-12-5-18-3d-fab-resin-printer-tray-information-contacts-inoperable/47399/24

2 Likes

Awww, okay. Thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

The Galley sign disappeared. Someone testing the Braille?

There are four identical samples in my member box in the galley for testing. They’re the same file I tested before but printed via SLA. Thanks @AlexRhodes for the help.

16 Likes

Wow! Those look very promising.

3 Likes

:heart_eyes:
And random characters

1 Like

Where is your bin? Does it have your name on it or is it labeled some other way? Thanks.

It has my name. Left side of back wall on one of the rolling things. I think its orange.

Duh. If it were a snake …

Anyway, I looked at your printed samples and compared one to the commercially purchased one. Yours looks beautiful. I think yours is slightly less pointy but i’m sure it will pass muster. I think it is a success!! Thanks for doing this.

8 Likes

Recent mention of ADA reminded me.

In the event the 3D printed Braille is not acceptable, I saw a Braille sign somewhere which had a small metal plate affixed to a bigger wood or plastic sign. The plate had the Braille “lettering” punched from behind.

1 Like

Perhaps the shapeoko (SP)?

2 Likes