....You might be a maker

Oh man I bought a gallon of spar urethane at a garage sale once. Never opened, whole gallon for $2. Go to use it a few months (years?) later and the whole thing was one solid chunk. I was so mad.

3 Likes

A true Maker would have saved it planning to Turn something out of it … someday. After it “cured a bit more”

3 Likes

Never said I threw it away. :wink:

8 Likes

…when you buy a large amount of something when you really only need a teensy tiny bit, even if a smaller amount was an option…but hey, the rest will be useful for “something” later. Eventually.

…when digging through the stash feels like Christmas because of all the things you run across that you forgot you had

6 Likes

When you’re digging through your bring-in bag, and you have brownies, and wood stain, and yarn…

5 Likes

When you look at some of your past projects as parts donors.
When you look at gear on the freebie shelf as parts donors.
When you consider being called a “hoarder” a compliment.

4 Likes

When you go to Lowe’s for a couple of sweat copper plumbing fittings to repair a leaking line ( there is digging in my very near future dammit) and you see the “clearance tool” section first…

I did not “need” a hitachi plunge/fixed base router or another Bosch 12v drill/impact set but for $90 i couldn’t say no…either

5 Likes

What does “need” ever have to do with “clearance”? And, what are too many tools, too many knives, too many guns or too many books anyway? Probably the same thing as too many pieces of wood, too much steel, or too much clay. My wife tells me that it is the same thing as too many shoes… Now what you never have is too much storage. I am not a hoarder, I am a collector or a maker. Hmm… Right…?

2 Likes

Storage Space & Physics: Two things can’t occupy the same space. Like “My car can’t fit into the garage anymore.”

2 Likes

Dan,

I was waiting (patiently) for someone to chime in with the tools vs shoes arguement!

Thanks for that!

1 Like

He who dies with the most tools Wins!

3 Likes

LOL, When you let someone borrow your tools so you can buy more tools…

3 Likes

There is no such thing as having too many tools!!

Too little room or space yes…

1 Like

In my garage, I can make anything except more space.
My backyard looks like a workshop without a roof.
I don’t have too much stuff I just need a larger shop.

5 Likes

“Any good home improvement project requires the purchase of a new tool.”

- my brother

9 Likes

When you have a 4 car garage and ALL of your cars live outside…

8 Likes

If you take on new projects as an excuse to use/learn/rationalize buying new tool(s).

If you see something wondrous and cool and you don’t want to own it - you want to make it.

3 Likes

If you emerge from quality time down an internet rabbit hole chasing some obscure technique in a medium may not be even peripherally related to anything you do but now you’re plotting the path and tools to learn said obscure minutiae and thinking up flimsy excuse for a project…

Oh wait, and it’s competing for time with the other (coughing to obscure actual number) projects waiting in the wings

(innocent look)

4 Likes

If “Rube Goldberg” can be used in reference to your efforts, often as a verb or adjective. Deliberately. Frequently.

“Well, this one went a little Rube Goldberg on me…” (aka Raging Scope Creep)

“Gonna Rube Goldberg this sucker. Throw it all in and let’s see what happens.” (Trying to decide between options on project)

4 Likes

…when you’re out and about and get delighted to see other Makerspaces
Triple locked up Makerspace in Waterford Ireland

7 Likes