....You might be a maker

I once made some pots/vases/cups in ceramics that were so ugly I wanted to take them to the ranch and shoot them as targets. My son dissuaded me from destroying them. He sold them to his coworkers. He said that “people buy ugly”. He’s a millenial so maybe they think they’re keeping them from the landfill or something.

You might be a maker if you are always thinking “Man I could have made that better/prettier/higher quality” even though it probably is better than anything you could buy commercially.

4 Likes

Lol I just did this exact thing. I copied the Woodpecker router guard x2. It took me three days worth of Solidworks, routing, laser, etc. to save $80. Turned out real nice though!

11 Likes

I call that type of project “macaroni necklaces” - so ugly that only your own mother would appreciate them

7 Likes

BAHAHAHAHA! Beautiful David :joy:

That’s what that was…:wink:

When you are excited because your new project means a new tool.

11 Likes

That’s what I’m saying it is, anyway :smile:

1 Like

Or when you base your projects around what tools you’ll be able to buy for them.

Sign requiring a laser cutter? Sure. Birdhouse? Bottom of the list.

9 Likes

When you contemplate getting a sales and use tax license because your friends ask to buy what you posted on Facebook and you just have to sell enough to write off all the tools and craft supplies that suddenly filled your house… and you know you’ll have sawdust in your hair while waiting in line at the county office!

3 Likes

When your project / hobby requires “A”.
Which in turn begets the need for “B”.
Which in turn begets the need for “C”.
Which in turn…
Never ending cycle :roll_eyes::astonished::scream:

The infrastructure needed for digital photography is a classic example.

When your project will never end because of the growing / never ending “WIBNI” list.
“Wouldn’t It Be Nice If”
Known by some as “scope creep”.

8 Likes

If you have some of the parts you took out of an 8 track tape player you took apart 40 years ago because they still seem useful - you might be a maker…

9 Likes

Or when your Superpower is to hold on to “supplies”, parts or materials for years and then throwing them away a week before you need them.

13 Likes

So much this :rofl:

Lets not forget getting a good deal on supplies 10 years ago knowing you’ll eventually need them. Then when you start the project you realize you need 20% more of those supplies to then get mad that they cost what you spent 10 years ago on the other 80% of supplies. When you look into why the supplies went up 5x in value over a decade was because Pinterest created a market and inflated costs.

9 Likes

Then you can’t match the original after starting the project, and nothing available is close to original color or spec

4 Likes

I have recently been using some stuff I bought at the closing of MJ Designs. Fortunately, it’s just tissue paper, so I don’t have to match it.

1 Like

… and not realizing those supplies have a shelf life, and you can’t get them out of the bottle because they dried out!

2 Likes

Or believing you will get to them before they expire.

1 Like

Daughter: Mom, why do you have an entire closet full of stuff you don’t use?

Me: I sleep better at night knowing it’s there.

9 Likes

I was cleaning my craft room last weekend and came across like 20 bars of homemade soap I did for Christmas 2 years ago. Or was it 3 years ago…

good thing the stuff doesn’t go bad, just loses scent.