What's Cooking: Summer-long Feast Edition!

Peach salad with basil and dijon mustard dressing. This is my favorite summer recipe. I ordered something similar from Greenling years ago and I figured out how to make it.

7 Likes

Made chopped cheese sandwiches on the griddle last night. Yes there is cheese in there, it’s kinda mixed in.

6 Likes

Parthian Chicken from ancient Rome.

The recipe is from Max Miller’s tasting history cookbook.

I love this recipe, it’s amazing that something this delicious could have been forgotten for so long.

8 Likes

Spanish tortilla (omelette)
Egg, potatoes, milk and pepper. I start it on the stove, when the edges are solid I put it under a broiler at 425. When the top is solid I flip it onto a plate and serve with a garlic mayo.

Plate and coffee cup by @Anette_Henningson

3 Likes

Is this the chicken with the foul smelling spice in it? If so I think you posted a few years ago but I never found that stuff locally.

1 Like

Looks like… just go to his house, then to the Indian market nearby… :rofl:

1 Like

Asafetida can be purchased at many ethnic grocery stores. I know India Bazar in Lewisville has it.

It is kinda has onion/sulfur like odor but the taste is amazing.

Given it’s flavor profile, what would you suggest for accompanying vegetables and/or starches?

1 Like

Yes, I got mine off Amazon then the next day saw it at the Indian grocery store off Josey and Trinity mills.
https://g.co/kgs/RYhJrr

2 Likes

We did roasted brussel sprouts. Tried to keep it within stuff thats close to what would be served in ancient Rome. I’d avoid anything that would soak up the sauce. I think it would be overpowering in a large amount.

2 Likes

Hm. That dovetails into the cilantro convo in a remotely interesting way…

tl:dr - some people taste the bitter & liked yesteryear’s brussel sprouts much less than people who don’t taste the bitter. Today’s sprouts have less of the bitter-tasting compound, enhancing the enjoyment by those with the receptors and spiking the demand.
I really should try them again…it’s been…a few decades, I think, since I tried one, but like all harrowing experiences of formative years, logic doesn’t override that negative memory so easily…

1 Like

Find a highly rated recipe for pan roasted maple bacon Brussels sprouts and you might be surprised. I’ll choke them down because they’re good for me but once they’re turned halfway into dessert they also taste good.

I’ve had some fantastic versions of this at restaurants here in DFW but I’m afraid I don’t remember where.

1 Like

And, there are people who actually like bitter, and like brussels sprouts for just that reason. Coffee is bitter, dark chocolate is bitter.

Campari is a bitter. I’d read somewhere (decades ago) that Campari and soda was a thing. When I inherited a big bottle from my dad, I mixed a drink as if it were just liquor. OMG!!! Super bitter! I think I made 5-6 drinks from that first drink. It was supposed to be soda with a splash of Campari, not a shot.

Back to brussel sprouts – some people who don’t like bitter very much say that roasting the brussel sprouts reduces the bitterness. Thus the restaurant trend to serve roasted brussel sprouts.

1 Like

They absorb bacon fat nicely (also Tallow, which I highly recommend). :slight_smile:

Got my Oregon trail sourdough starter!

Now to revive and bake

4 Likes

Are you going to bring bread for the Committee Meeting???

2 Likes

I got mine yesterday too

2 Likes

3 Likes

I made Majoon, a Persian date, banana, and nut/seed smoothie. It is extremely calorie dense (the glass is over 1000 calories), so eat it as a meal replacement. It has a very complex flavor profile, from the rich sweetness of the dates, honey, and bananas, balanced out by the earthiness/robustness of the nuts/seeds, to the floral flavor of the rosewater that brings a fresh element to it. You can toast the nuts/seeds for some extra depth of flavor too. I’d recommend watering down the final smoothie with some more milk since it is extremely thick, but this is to personal preference

Ingredients:
4 Large Medjool Dates
1/4 cup Whole Milk
1 Frozen Banana
1/2 Tbsp Rosewater
Salt (to taste)
1/2 cup Full fat plain yogurt (can use greek if you’d want. Desi yogurt is probably the closest)
1 Tbsp Honey
17 grams of Walnuts
21 grams of Pistachios
18 grams of Sesame Seeds
1/2 Tbsp Cinnamon

Full recipe is in Sofreh by Nasim Alikhani

7 Likes

I revived my starter this weekend. It is now growing in size as I add more flour and water to it. I followed these instructions to start it:

http://carlsfriends.net/revive.html

I also put in a little sugar after the first 24 hrs. I turned the oven light on and put the starter on the bottom shelf. The temp in the oven is 86 degrees F. It started to bubble really well after 48 hours. Now, I’m going to create a big ole batch of starter and make some bread.

This will probably be my first loaves.

http://carlsfriends.net/ronpics/ronsfsd.html

I’ll let you know how it all goes. I still need to at least double the amount of starter I have.

5 Likes