What's Cooking: Summer-long Feast Edition!

Canned a few jars of Cowboy Candy (candied jalapeños). Still coughing a little bit from the fumes: 3 lbs of sliced jalapeños simmering in sugar and apple cider vinegar is not for the faint of heart.

Halfway done slicing. I sliced half, then started the liquid heating before returning to the slicing job. Probably about 50 peppers and 2 dozen knife cuts per pepper takes a while.

The final product:

12 Likes

I’ve been asked to make some cowboy candy for the family, using the peppers from our garden, currently waiting for my habaneros to ripen to make some habanero hot sauce.

5 Likes

If you haven’t tried it before, I’d recommend mixing some fruit to complement the habanero. Mango is always a good choice but peaches turned out really well too.

I also did some roasted ghost pepper hot sauce that was delicious.

2 Likes

I make pepper peach preserves (Palisade peaches with a couple of finely diced jalapeños added). Tastier, IMHO, than plain peach preserves.

2 Likes

I make a pineapple habanero salsa from time to time and when I decide to do a 3 month ferment for hot sauce, I like to do at least one pineapple habanero.
But I’m a huge fan of pineapple…

2 Likes

I have a great recipe for cilantro! One step, one ingredient.

5 Likes

It’s kind of funny how cilantro seems to have two influences:

• More please!
  • None, thanks!

I, too, tend toward the latter. I tolerate it if i must, but think most things that have it, are better without it.

I must admit I like Cilantro. I don’t go out of my way to put it on everything. Use it in pico, tacos, & some hot sauces.

2 Likes

It’s genetic, like licorice (legit licorice, not Twizzlers). It’s got something in it that a lot of people can’t taste. Those people like it. The people (like me) who can taste “the thing” can’t stand it. It tastes like gargling Dawn might taste (if one were to gargle Dawn).

I do love me some Dutch black licorice though. I would like to see a study correlating the distaste for cilantro with that of licorice. Everyone I know that hates cilantro likes black licorice.

2 Likes

Seems to be more common than I thought. I now know of 3 people at DMS that say cilantro tastes like dish soap to them.

1 Like

I don’t mind cilantro, but when over-used I get the soapy-ness. My wife is allergic to it, so I try to avoid it now.

2 Likes

I’m in the camp of “take it or leave it”, but my wife despises it. She won’t eat anything that she can see the cilantro and most other stuff that she can’t. She says it tastes like dish washing soap. She always asks about its use in restaurants and she asks them to take it off of her order if they use it.

2 Likes

Is this DMS’ own cilantrogate?

1 Like

@heyheymama and I were riding in an Uber in the Netherlands a few years ago, when the driver offered us both ‘Drop’ (their black licorice). The Dutch have an obsession with that stuff.

I think I lasted about 30 seconds before spitting it out.

2 Likes

Peach salad with basil and dijon mustard dressing. This is my favorite summer recipe. I ordered something similar from Greenling years ago and I figured out how to make it.

7 Likes

Made chopped cheese sandwiches on the griddle last night. Yes there is cheese in there, it’s kinda mixed in.

6 Likes

Parthian Chicken from ancient Rome.

The recipe is from Max Miller’s tasting history cookbook.

I love this recipe, it’s amazing that something this delicious could have been forgotten for so long.

8 Likes

Spanish tortilla (omelette)
Egg, potatoes, milk and pepper. I start it on the stove, when the edges are solid I put it under a broiler at 425. When the top is solid I flip it onto a plate and serve with a garlic mayo.

Plate and coffee cup by @Anette_Henningson

3 Likes

Is this the chicken with the foul smelling spice in it? If so I think you posted a few years ago but I never found that stuff locally.

1 Like

Looks like… just go to his house, then to the Indian market nearby… :rofl:

1 Like