What's Cooking: Summer-long Feast Edition!

It’s most likely with a lean loaf: bread with added oil/butter/eggs will have a softer crust and likely won’t crackle.

Two days, two sourdough starter bread tests

First up was a focaccia

Todays was a whole wheat sandwich bread

Both were delicious, the sandwich needs to be much less dense. Still good tho!

7 Likes

Also, excellent for dipping in smoked queso

4 Likes

I made homemade blackberry jam with @rowdy using blackberries that were grown in Rowdy’s garden. It turned out really well and now I’m excited about trying new recipes.

11 Likes

How sweet/sour is your jam? In Persian cooking, we have a dish called Albaloo Polo which is a rice dish made with sour cherry (morello) jam, though my aunt puts in cranberries. It might be worth trying with blackberries as a substitute, since they can be quite tart. Here’s a good recipe for it:

If your jam is on the sweeter end of the spectrum, I might try faloodeh, which is like a granita with vercimelli:

3 Likes

Thank you!! It’s on the sweeter end of the spectrum. I am going to have to try these recipes. I could get some cranberries for the first recipe if the blackberry jam is too sweet for it.

I’d recommend getting some morello cherries if you can find them instead of cranberries, since that’s more traditional. I think Aldi sells a jar of them pitted in syrup? I know whole foods sells some ready made morello jam, but after using it I don’t think it has enough fruit in it (so I’d mix in some fresh cherries).

I personally use the Sadaf sour cherry jam, but that can be hard to find outside of specialty grocery stores.

1 Like

Sweet cherries can be had from Costco but they are soooooo sweet.

2 Likes

Yeah, you’d definitely want something on the more sour end. I’ve tried the rice with a sweeter cherry jam and it throws off the balance of sweet to sour.

2 Likes

Carnitas and cilantro lime rice

6 Likes

Why would you mix ass with lime and put it in your rice?

Aside from that it looks awesome! (Minus the ass on your tacos). Love me some carnitas.

1 Like

Very soapy flavored ass at that.

3 Likes

If you have any leftover cilantro, it goes really well in an herb stew. Or you could make an Argentinian chimichurri as well.

1 Like

Do you have recipes for these? :smiley: I will add them to my bookmarks! I always have leftover cilantro so recipes for leftover cilantro would definitely be appreciated.

Here is a recipe for Chimichurri (goes really well with steaks):

Here is a recipe for Ghormeh Sabzi (persian herb stew):

The saffron isn’t necessary. The stew has so many flavors going on and the tumeric that I don’t think it’s worth it (I’d use it in any rice served alongside). You can use canned kidney beans instead of dried ones if you put it at the end (I’d save the liquid so it could thicken the stew). You could substitute the dried limes for fresh ones, but I’d really recommend getting the dried ones if you can find it, since it gives the stew an earthy funk that helps balance the dish.

3 Likes

I’d fairly accurately guess that we make fresh chimichurri sauce 3 of every 4 steak grills.

1 Like

Thank you!!!

1 Like

Have you tried Chermoula? It’s a North African herb/oil sauce. While the herbs are similar, the spice blends vary dramatically. I’ve seen cumin, coriander seeds, paprika, etc. Would probably be really good on a steak too.

2 Likes

Canned a few jars of Cowboy Candy (candied jalapeños). Still coughing a little bit from the fumes: 3 lbs of sliced jalapeños simmering in sugar and apple cider vinegar is not for the faint of heart.

Halfway done slicing. I sliced half, then started the liquid heating before returning to the slicing job. Probably about 50 peppers and 2 dozen knife cuts per pepper takes a while.

The final product:

12 Likes

I’ve been asked to make some cowboy candy for the family, using the peppers from our garden, currently waiting for my habaneros to ripen to make some habanero hot sauce.

5 Likes