Water etching class

Trying to gauge interest for a class and find a sponsor. Husband has approved me to become a member contingent upon my ability to “sing for my supper” and cover membership through teaching. Class will take about an hour. $10 will cover materials.

(Any clarification on how that all works appreciated. Please excuse if I’m being a noob and stepping on norms. You only need to swat me once with the newspaper and I’ll learn)

3 Likes

Hi Amanda,

Welcome to our community!

We are always glad to have members interested in teaching ~ especially new stuff! :smiley:

I don’t know much about fired arts myself. I’m curious though… Can you give us a little more information about Water Etching?

The chairperson over Fired Arts is Beth (@dryad2b). She can let you know what resources are available in the Fired Arts area.

As far as teaching, here’s a link with some basic information:
https://dallasmakerspace.org/teach/

As you seem to already know, you’ll need a current member to sponsor you, at least until you become a member yourself. :wink: :slight_smile:

There are some guidelines to follow to request honorarium. Here’s a link to our honorarium rules:
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Rules_and_Policies#Honorarium

If you have any other specific questions, let us know! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to Makerspace and we were all were and to some extent always will be “noobs” … we’re lucky you’ll have to “sing for your supper” in that both you and the members will benefit from this tyrannical tough love. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: You from more involvement in the Space (meeting people and learning more of how things work) and the Members from that involvement learning new skills and media to work with and meeting you…

To me, it sounds like the most logical committee as a sponsor would be Jewelry & Small Metals @nausser915 Joseph Lahoud is Chair is or possibly Fired Arts @dryad2b Beth Appleton is Chair (they do stained glass, fused glass). Contact either or both of these two people and they will help you get into weeds of the teaching a class sign-up. I’m sure one of these committees would love to act as the sponsoring committee.

But here’s a start Teach A Class. Being on Finance committee, part of the folks that will get you a check for $50 when you teach this class, I’d recommend that you fill out your W-9 Form W-9.pdf (116.5 KB)

This is the page you’ll see when signing up to teach a class:

Truly welcome - and there are a number of members that teach classes to cover their dues. Hope this gets you started - looking forward to seeing your class on the calendar.

Again, Welcome to Makerspace and becoming involved - volunteerism is what makes our community work.

1 Like

It’s a technique for carving green ware that helps you get super fine details and surface texture. Similar look and feel to the stuff seen on other surfaces. You just need your pot, the resist, and a sponge. If you’re feeling especially froggy you can use stamps and things to resist.

I guess his main concern is that it takes a while to get the classes approved or that there’s a finite number finance can sponsor which would obviously go to established members since there weren’t many on the calendar and I’ll have already joined…and well lets be honest he’s not going to convince me to unjoin once I have a key card to Wonderland

1 Like

Sounds interesting! :slight_smile:

[quote="MrsMoose, post:4, topic:19617"] I guess his main concern is that it takes a while to get the classes approved [/quote]

You must schedule at least ten (10) full days out. If the honorarium auditors don’t deny the submitted class within 72 hours (I believe…), it will be added to the calendar.

Be sure to read and follow the rules in the links I provided earlier. For the best chances of approval, be sure to include what will be learned in class. “Maker” type classes have the highest approval success. :slight_smile:

[quote="MrsMoose, post:4, topic:19617"] that there's a finite number finance can sponsor which would obviously go to established members [/quote]

In theory, I’m sure there is; however, education is what we are based on, so high Quality classes usually get approved ~ as long as as the rules are followed.

I’m sure other members will have some good tips for you as well.

[quote="MrsMoose, post:4, topic:19617"] he's not going to convince me to unjoin once I have a key card to Wonderland [/quote]

Haha ~ Right On! :thumbsup:

1 Like

I am not aware of any limit there is on the number of classes that are available for Honorariums. Our primary goal is education. Classes are reviewed for as being unsuitable, e.g. Multi-level marketing seminar. The main limiting factor is usually getting a free classroom.

The lead time can be as little as 10 days: 3 day review period, if no objections, then posted to calendar.

There is no priority for “established” members. We operate on a first come, first served basis. If you put in for teaching a class, it’s looked at for it’s merits, not how long you’ve been a member (in fact you don’t even have to be a member to teach, but a member must sponsor the class).

So go for it. Put in for it today and it could be held as soon as the 18th. The first time you submit for class, I’d advise you ask someone that has done it before for so there is sufficient info for the review committee to be comfortable and it isn’t delayed by questions.

2 Likes

10 4. I’ll welcome any advice on that and will start writing up the first one. Later. I pulled the trigger and am leaving to get my key card. Squee!

2 Likes

Sounds interesting! Tell me it doesn’t require running water… Although, I’m not sure how many folks have pots ready for such an endeavor. You might want to put it 2 weeks out to give people a chance to prepare. I could put a hand-building class before it so folks could have something to work on…

2 Likes

I would be very interested but I need to make somethin
to use for it

No running water…just a good dog bowl if you’re clumsy and spill things a lot. Hand building class beforehand is a great idea. Does fired arts have their own clay stock or allow members to fire? If so I can candle some tiles for those who forget. It will be towards the end of the month. I must drag 37 minions, erm students, to state contest on the 22nd and am going to play on the laser until then. If it fills and people want more I can do an advanced water etch class showing how to do it with glazes or in multiple levels.

1 Like

We have some clay available, it is cone 6 stoneware

1 Like

Yeah, we have plenty of clay currently. We’re set up to fire.

Does it work on leather-hard, or does it need to be dry?

We can always work in the Interactive classroom to give more room for folks. The Fired Arts area gets cramped with 6 or so, and we’d have to give the Evil Eye to the folks that habitually use the work tables closest to us. Plus, we’d get to sit down in Interactive. All the workspaces in the back are standing height, and stools are limited.

2 Likes

I like the idea of using interactive

This is a beautiful technique. I hope all the mud bugs get into it. @Nathan_Jones

2 Likes

Works on leather hard you just can’t go as deep and edges aren’t as sharp. Interactive sounds good to me.

1 Like

Will it work on something like a platter or flat bottomed bowl?

I am thinking about making a couple of plaster hump molds

How much room would we have to store a few hump molds

Maybe a smidgen on the very top of the shelves. The spots I can barely reach.

1 Like

Of course it is up high, I will see if I can make a coupel

Yes. Any surface of a piece. It’s pretty versatile. The last two uses were for a small box and a kraken. Before that a vase and a relief tile.

1 Like

Any chance of a brown colored body? I want to make a gingerbread house but don’t need a full bag. Or a mason stain would work to dye my white