Water etching class

@MrsMoose, keep in mind one other aspect of getting the paid honorarium: attendance and bookkeeping.

In addition to getting the financial paperwork done (once), and getting the class on the schedule and approved far enough in advance (before each class), you also have to meet certain attendance criteria and record attendance on the computer (soon after class completion).

At least three people have to attend the class (not just sign up), and you have to go BACK into the calendar system and mark the attendance. I believe this last step has to be done within 24 hours of the class.

Historically, there has been some issue with poor attendance, especially for classes with zero cost (to the student). For example, I took a free laser class on Sunday: 8 people signed up, but only 4 actually attended, and only one person (two, counting John the instructor) was there within 5 minutes of the appointed start time (the others were as much as 20 minutes late).

3 Likes

You are correct. Iā€™ve forgot & tried at hour 25 but no dice.

2 Likes

This has gotten easier to do (especially if you are using a computer in the class, which I realize is probably irrelevant in this particular case) right there in the room at the start of the class now that logging into the calendar system takes mere seconds.

1 Like

Good point, @jast, but as @MrsMoose would be a) a brand new instructor, and b) relying on class honorariums to cover her membership fees, I was more concerned about her being unaware of the requirement rather than being unable to comply. #knowingishalfthebattle

5 Likes

Iā€™d use the emoji :thumbsup: instead of posting this message if I could.

2 Likes

:+1: :blankspace: :blankspace:

1 Like

I have incised designs before, then filled them in with
a different color of clay, This sounds like a way I
could still do that in spite of my bad eyes

1 Like

It would be great for that. I have a video somewhere of a guy doing some incredible inlay work with it

2 Likes

I appreciate it. TAKING attendance is old hat for me so no worries. If we have chronic issues with people refusing to show on free ones youā€™re right and Iā€™ll probably get with Devin to make it have a fee or something. I donā€™t mind little groups but I get enough rude folk at the day job. Lol

1 Like

FWIW, I think itā€™s more of a ā€œsquirrel!ā€ issue of distraction than one of rudeness.

Just wanted to ensure you were in the loop on the prompt attendance as a prerequisite for compensation gotcha.

2 Likes

@HankCowdog I didnā€™t mean you were being rude by making sure I knew the guidelines.

I mean the the thing above about folks being 30 mins late or half of them not showing. Especially to something like machine cert that we all need!

1 Like