Touring other Makerspaces?

I have the idea of renting a passenger bus (or possibly party bus or possibly just a passenger bus) and traveling to different makerspaces in DFW - we would pick just a few and hit them as a group for a group tour.

If you be interested in getting on a big bus with approx 20-30 people for an afternoon of adventure. We would split the cost of this adventure per person. So far I’ve called two people for quotes both hovering around $500 for the service (yikes) (I’m going to look at just renting a passenger van but the idea of being driven sounds grand)

How much would you be willing to chip in to ride share and for a makerspace tour? Obviously if you’re not interested don’t answer please and thank you.

• $5-$10
  • $10-20
  • $20-30

0 voters

2 Likes

Would this be a weekend trip or a day trip?

Definitely a “Party Bus”

2 Likes

Probably weekend I would think.
I like the idea of a party bus as well - however they only sit like 20 which might be good

So a minimum of $25 per person.

I was getting quotes based off the date of December 9th or November 4th. I figure Saturday prices would be at the highest.

Yes, I’m looking at a much better option of just renting an old fashioned “church van” for the day. Also, just meeting at the various places works- however I thought this would be the more fun field trip feel. Sack lunches and a bitchy teacher yelling about getting on the bus on time. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Will we all have to hold onto a rope as we are lead around?

Somehow, with this crowd if were holding a rope it means someone is tied up somewhere.

I’ll meet you in the middle with a cowbell and a clipboard.

1 Like

A 15 passenger van looks like it rents for around $150 for the day so that drops the price (we would still need to cover gas - I would think $15 per person)

So…never one to wait for much I went ahead and emailed:

The Rockwall Makerspace
The Lab in Plano (is it closed because the email I had came back)
Acme Creation in South Dallas
Frisco Discovery Center

@Bill can you help answer this?

From what I remember, it’s kinda like a interactive science center geared towards kids. Think Perot but smaller scale.

I went there on a field trip with my daughter 6 months ago.

Oh we might scrap it if that’s the case. What’s the place in Frisco I know they were trying to build something?

IIRC there is a video game/ arcade game museum in the same building. Right behind that there are folks building a railroad museum.

My brother tells me there are 3D printers in the Frisco library.

Yeah, we had a booth at their grand opening. It’s neat but just a small “workshop” geared towards kids and a couple of classrooms.

What’s the goal for this trip since the above criteria excludes the Discovery Center?

Is it the size or the geared towards kids?
Bc if it’s bc of size, you might want to exclude Plano. And if it’s the geared towards kids I know the Rockwall Makerspace has a large focus on supporting the local high-school robotics team. (their space is still impressive and their focus may have shifted since opening.)

1 Like

“The Lab” website (https://thelab.ms/) is showing events for today and tomorrow - perhaps their contact page would allow you to get in touch?

https://thelab.ms/contact.html

or
[email protected]

The objective would Be to see what’s out and about and available. Not geared towards the little ones. I honestly just found a list online and started emailing.

1 Like

You left out the “makerspace” at Robson Ranch - No children at all! (non under the age of 50)

nice woodworking shop. small cnc router, fairly large creative arts area for painting, fiber arts, crafts.

2 Likes