Touring other Makerspaces?

Not sure if getting tours of college spaces is on your list (not general public accessible) but UTD and UTA have makerspaces.

http://dev.utdmaker.space
https://fablab.uta.edu

And like @TBJK mentioned there are some libraries in the area that have makery tools available.

If you’re also looking for shared workspaces that don’t offer tools but community, LMK and I’ll send you a list.

2 Likes

Theres a bus!! :smiley:

ef0fc93c60c25d8b8d81172f9da4f9bdfbe83e0d_1_666x500

5 Likes

I would be particularly interested in discussing with them what they do for governance, how they enable/limit access to tools, enforce rules, etc.

2 Likes

yes please send a list. I looked at shared workspaces and possibly that’s another mission.

@PearceDunlap would you be down with us renting the cruel bus for the same we would pay another company to take it to different makerspaces? Thus helping you pay for the beast and also making it a bit easier for us?
Is that an acceptable thing to do? @Lampy @Photomancer

We’d all be renting as individuals and not by DMS, so from that standpoint it’s none of the Space’s business as long as it clear that is the arrangement.

But, in Pearce’s best interest, unless he has commercial insurance covering fare carrying passengers, I would not recommend doing it. If more than 15 passengers you need a CDL with a passenger bus endorsement (I let mine lapse when I renewed last year). Unless out of goodness of whatever kind of heart could conceive and build such a vehicle, he just said “Load up lets go!” it wouldn’t worth the potential liability.

That said, I think it would be uber cool to cruise up in something like that. We should redo the Dearth Star and name it “Crueler Bus”.

1 Like

whatever you rent make sure it has a margarita machine onboard!

4 Likes

this is like the wine tour or s omething, will you be standing at the front of the bus with a microphone?

3 Likes

This could be the beginnng of a new social activity. This month Makerspace tour, next local vinyards tour, then craft beer tour, coffee roasting tour, then …who knows?:wink:

1 Like

ugh, that is a fantastic idea!

Alcohol makes things and people look better and better.

3 Likes

What address did you use?

I have not been there in awhile. As far as I know, they are still open. They are still listing events and have their Open House on Tuesday nights, 7 till 9.

Omg.
I love this idea!
You guys will hate it but I’ll love it.

Ok I’m sure it was just a bad email. I’ll get to the mega plan tonight to outline a plan. Expect the tour November 4th.

1 Like

I saw this bus thus morning - vintage school bus turned party bus

7 Likes

That rules me out…previous commitment the first Saturday of most months.

I drive by theLab tonight but did not stop for a closer look. It was lit up so so somebody was there.

Ok guys after doing some basic calculations I’m reformatting the way we can do the tours to be the best use of our collective time is to focus on a city to explore for the afternoon/day. This will allow us to really use our time wisely. This is going to be funnnnnn!!! and interesting!!!

I’m skipping a month to make sure I have some time to do our first one right.

I’m casting my eyes towards denton first because it has an active community of makers, it’s close and I know it a bit. Plus it seemed easiest to start in that area.
Makerspace tours (I’ve found two physical and a TON of online communities in Denton)
Lunch at a local mom and pop if needed
One open workplace tour
Possibly some shopping at a maker resource ( Scrap for denton they are very supportive of us and a good maker resource)
a “maker meetup/mixer” at a local bar inventing a slew of people

Two options - one is to drive yourself, the other is to pay to be driven (No, I don’t have a firm quote yet)

Norms I want to establish for tours:
Giving DMS shirts/swag to the people who give tours and the heads of the other places we visit as a token of our gratitude.
Meeting somewhere social with people from the area (and potentially a drink if you want it…social lubrication)
If we go eat it’s a local mom and pop and not a chain if we have time
Creating contacts and kissing babies

You had me until that part… Got to avoid the little plague carriers… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cruel-bus only has 5 seats +driver. And gets single number mpg

1 Like

Sounds like the Bradley Fighting Vehicle…which was is / a dismal failure in design & execution.

I think the Cruel Bus is great, just needs air conditioning