This is the thread that we talk about DMS Picnic

Kind of hard for people to commit without a date. Just saying…

I know - I’m waiting to see if it gets approved by the board. Talked with @Adam_Oas and he doesn’t want to drain PR funds without it. We also talked about asking people to contribute.
Once the meeting has happened and we get a decision we can pull the trigger on a date and place.

No feedback about the parks?

Just try to avoid ones that have soccer fields. :slight_smile:

1 Like

as you demand input in all your bubble count line - all of them must include a zero - for example - we won’t be bringing kids. - so we’d be a zero - otherwise the form appears to function - but I couldn’t submit due to the enforce row response stuff.

could someone show with a medium sized trebuchette to throw interesting things? - or maybe two and have a water balloon war?

1 Like

Ahhhh great point. I’m not sure why I missed that. Thank you.

I like the idea of a trebuchet @Brandon_Green I think they donated the smaller one.

I can see it now, headline:

Dallas Morning News

Crazed Makers Lay Siege To Park

4 Likes

We only have the 15 feet tall 2,000 pound trebuchet. (Which is in need of repairs)

Is that how we’ll get to zero children? Toss them? Seems like another headline event …

3 Likes

OK, I looked it up because there are people who want to build rockets here and go fly them nearby.

From the Carrollton Code of Ordinances:

Sec. 133.16. - Certain activities prohibited. 

Within the limits of any public parks, it shall be unlawful for any person or persons to do any of the acts hereinafter specified, except as may be otherwise provided:

© To carry or discharge any firearm, firecrackers, rockets, torpedoes or any other fireworks, airguns, BB guns, bow and arrows, slingshots; or hit golf balls except in designated areas.

The semicolon following “slingshots” seems to indicated that only hitting golf balls have a designated area.

1 Like

I believe that they are referring to actual fireworks since it is followed by “or any other fireworks”. I would ask for further clarification in an email. Since you can buy model rocket engines any day of the year vs “fireworks” only 5 times a year.

Here are the state exemptions

§ 2154.002. Exemptions
This chapter does not apply to:
(1) a toy pistol, toy cane, toy gun, or other device that uses paper or plastic caps in sheets, strips, rolls, or
individual caps that contain not more than an average of 25 hundredths of a grain of explosive composition per cap and that is packed and shipped under 49 C.F.R. Part 173 (1996);
(2) a model rocket or model rocket motor designed, sold, and used to propel recoverable aero models;

No I am not a lawyer nor did I play one on TV.

1 Like

Damn, was going to go all Wile E. Coyote on the picnic.

4 Likes

That they directly specified “rockets” seem pretty clear to me, though you do have a point with the phasing, “firecrackers, rockets, torpedoes or any other fireworks.”

Model rockets engines are also legal to possess, unlike fireworks which are prohibited in most of the cities here.

So did our group order go to Acme instead of Adafruit?

1 Like

Ok fixed it - thank you

Fire arms are legal to possess but they are listed as banned.

There’s a state level pre-emption for firearms and knives (basically only state law applies to them). I doubt there’s a pre-emption for anything else on the list.

1 Like

I can no longer easily determine what the plan is here. If I’m in town and it’s not too far and there will be cake I’m in. Don’t care about guns or knives or rocket motors.

7 Likes

I’m kinda in the same boat. I’m interested, but I need a date and time. I’m not particular about the park. I won’t bring guns, knives, rockets or RC airplanes even though I own some of each.

McInnish sounds nicer, but a little too big.
Mary’s head - the bathrooms & parking are the only downfall

I think it would be great if we could check out any other parks close to Carrollton, that is if we have the time…