This is the thread that we talk about DMS Picnic

I’d be willing to bet that Mcinnish park might have more Pokémon action. Sports park means bored siblings, likely an infestation of Pokémon. Lol

4 Likes

My plan is to hit he parks tomorrow with my little to investigate.

3 Likes

Also it kinda just dawned on me(making burgers now). Using fresh (thawed) ground beef will allow to put chopped Jalapeños into the patty itself. Just the right kick some times. My brother-in law tried habanero chopped in his, it was interesting.

3 Likes

Cheese-in-the-burger burger. Delicious!

My apologies to vegetarians everywhere for burger envy.

Side note: Nicole was a vegetarian for seven years but was fixated over fried chicken for two of the seven.

3 Likes

Also for those that are gluten free, you can make what’s similar to potato skins for buns. That’s really damn good right there. We can also get some buns from local oven for gluten free so they won’t be left out.

Good call! We will try to be as inclusive as we can. Even charcoal worthy veggie burgers.

I think this will be fun. I also think this is needed.

3 Likes

Jalapeño burger on the left & regular on the right.

2 Likes

I m not a fan of hot peppers

1 Like

Not everyone like peppers. I understand that. My mom hates jalapeños & bell peppers.

1 Like

I like red, yellow and orange bell peppers, green ones to not like me.!

Now cheese in burgers or bacon! Wow, or bothe

2 Likes

Mary heads park:
Parking - not so good but they had a pre-k center across for overflow
Pavilion- awesome probably 15ish tables
3 very big grills on each “end” of the pavilion
Bathrooms- not very nice. Two stalls in the women’s restroom. No freaking door.
They had a small pond with walk-across and bridge options
Field was open but not good for rockets

1 Like

2 Likes

I’m having trouble uploading photos right now. Going to go about it another way.

I like the idea of getting a couple of the drink coolers and ice chests. Good for: potlucks, picnics, blacksmithing classes, other events we go to. Easy to store in the off-site storage unit.

Easier set-up and clean-up.

2 Likes

the google form isn’t working and repeatedly says it’s about to be erased - so made my own copy - but it doesn’t seem to be working either - ideas? suggestions?

Hmm interesting. I’ll poke around tomorrow and see what I can figure out. Thanks for letting me know. I need to add in some info. I’m also going to dump my photos so people can see them.

Ok thank you for telling me. I apparently had it in my trash folder…I don’t know how to computer apparently. I don’t remember throwing it away but all is well.

I’ve updated the form just a bit. If you wouldn’t mind taking a look (no need to enter info) and see if it’s functional.

Ok yesterday I went to both parks before/during the storm to check them out:

Here’s my quick review:
Disclaimer, I liked Mary Heads better (because I had my son and he loved it) - I also think if we look outside Carrollton we might be able to find an even better park. I felt both would work really well - but my worry is the guy telling us we can’t reserve McInnish.

Mary Heads - large probably 15-20 tables one children’s table under the pavilion, covered and partially covered pavilion, three very large grills at each end of the pavilion, womens restroom had no doors on the restrooms and two stalls- I can’t speak of the mens, large pretty awesome playground as an added bonus its adaptive, a small pond of sorts not large - I didn’t see any fish but I didn’t look for long, large area of treeless field, playground, small pond, smallish field with a concrete walking trail around it. Renting pavilion is $100 deposit $50 per hour, parking probably had approx 30 spaces but directly across the street a pre-k building had parking available as well.
Link to pictures of Mary Heads: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-9lwxsfTaRgWWNsQW1kdW5wODA?usp=sharing

McInnish - Massive huge complex, so big in-fact it took me a long bit to find the two pavilions in the park - one is at the very front one and the other is located in the “soccer complex”, parking wouldn’t be an issue at all, I will check to see if the pavilions are rentable but I’ve had mixed stories. It is near a beautiful walking trail but that is in the middle of the park - at least 15m walk from either pavilion. It started raining really quickly after we found it so I wasn’t as good with the pictures.

Link to McInnish pictures: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-9lwxsfTaRgdFJLbXQwNS1RZjA?usp=sharing

The first large covered pavilion had probably 8 tables, trashcans were close but I couldn’t locate any nearby grills and the restroom was a bit of a walk, next to a nice dog park and three baseball fields and a massive lake is within walking distance (probably 7minute walk) - this lake looked a bit questionable with a few industrial tanks near it, lots of parking, If it’s not rentable I could see a huge problem with it being occupied by sports parents.

The second pavilion was also covered and had several different picnic tables around with standard “park” grills around. It takes a bit to get to once you enter the park. It had probably about 8 or so tables and a nearby restroom (we didn’t get to go in - it started to storm on us) it had a good playground within eyeshot of the pavilion. Had several concrete picnic tables around, large amounts of treeless open space.

3 Likes

We could beg/plead/grovel to borrow the pop/fold out pavilion type shade covers Blacksmith has and uses when out back. Added bonus … any stray smoke from BBQ’s probably wouldn’t be noticed. This will help some.

1 Like

Robin and I have a 10x10 pop-up awning with some sandbags as ballast that could be helpful for such an event.

1 Like