The Moved & Improved Machine Shop

The Pazma Mill is a Bridgeport clone. It is fully operational and with a very nice Digital Readout. We also have a brand new power draw bar that needs to be installed yet.

The Millport Mill, another Bridgeport clone, works but has a cracked X/Y nut under the bed which needs to be replaced.

2 Likes

Any idea how available parts are ?

Iā€™m sure we have the ability to MAKE a replacement, but itā€™s always easier to buy it off the shelf if possible. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m pretty sure the Bridgeport parts will work about 99.9% of the time on the Millport. When he said ā€œBridgeport Cloneā€ he meant itā€™s so close to a Bridgeport, they even used the same font for ā€œMillportā€ on the motor housing.

1 Like

I found a possible source, they advertise parts, but it is the internet.

1 Like

Weā€™ll have to get MOP4 gear and have a mill tear down party. :slight_smile:

One thing that does need to be done is the cold saw hoses & fittings replaced. We were going to get this fixed before the closure. I do not want the cold saw leaving its ā€œmarkā€ if you will. This shouldnā€™t take too long to get fixed since we have the stuff to do it.

2 Likes

Wonder if we could make a sort sheet metal gutter to go under the rollers. Seemed like I was always having coolant running out my work piece that direction. Be nice if it just drained back.

We actually already have this under the rollers; it was made last year.

Hmmm. Last time I used it, it ran out on the floor.

Has been a while though.

Great idea ! I like it ! :slight_smile:

There is always some splash off the blades or metal. What about this:

Fabricate a sheet metal pan, say 2" high lip, that extends out about 4" around at least the front three sides that CCS sits in,. Then pour cat litter/absorbent material into the pan. This would would catch the drips/splashes and at some point could easily be vacuumed up and replaced. Most splashes are very close to machine so mess would be pretty much contained.

1 Like

We do need to come up with something to contain the ā€œsplatterā€ if you will.

I replaced all the old hoses & fittings this evening in the saw. So the 27 year old hoses have been replaced. I cleaned out the base of the saw, so hopefully no more ā€œearlā€ seeping out. I still need to run the air to it & then cycle it.

Not so impressive pics.
One before

& after, There still some hose cleanup I want to do.

9 Likes

And the Cold Saw has air, Temporary air anyway. Iā€™m going to add a valve lower & the piping closer to the final destination with a smallish leader hose from the hard pipe to the Cold saw. I have the saw head in the down position to help with degassing the hydraulic fluid.

9 Likes

@Shellbell and I came up to use the lasers this morning for the first time and I wandered around. The new machine shop looks fantastic. Thank you volunteers for all the really hard work youā€™ve put into this.

5 Likes

As I mentioned in Machine Shop Committee Meeting 6-27-2020 5pm, I said I would have the Shark functional with the RFID before Saturdayā€™s meeting. Wednesday evening I finished the hardwiring the machine in. However I did not have a way to attach the Rasberry Pi to the panel, which will still need to be fashioned as well as the controls wiring to be cleaned up. Currently its setup with wireless for the communications with the network. We will be putting Ethernet drops to the machines that will have the RFID interlocks to speed the response from the network. There is about a 10 second delay at times going over the wireless. We are hoping that the Ethernet drops will get rid of these delays.

2 Likes

As bad as this sounds, you walk up to it, badge in, and about 10s later you here a ā€œca-thunkā€ and youā€™re ready to go. No need to do anything else while youā€™re using the machine, just use as normally, and it shouldnā€™t cut off unless you leave it idle for more than 5 minutes.

When weā€™re ready to leave, just badge out again, or if you forget you will be logged out after 5 minutes.

Itā€™s on my todo list to investigate the timing delays. The backend that is being talked to started taking longer sometime during the shutdown and Iā€™ll need to investigate. However since itā€™s functioning Iā€™ve been working on other priorities.

@TBJK Iā€™ll be in later today terminating drops in 3dfab for the new workstations if you want to run them. @malcolmputer did you mount that switch around the Haas somewhere for the Machine network?

-Jim

Nope, itā€™s sitting on the HAAS workbench currently.

Jim, Iā€™m in no hurry. I wont be in this evening but I will be at the space tomorrow afternoon. We can gradually peck away at this stuff.

3 Likes

I attempted to permanently mount the PI but ran into an issue with the USBā€™s. I will need to get usb 90 adapters to give enough clearance. Before hand though @Paul_Morley, @procterc & Myself ran the Shark & did the inaugural single point turning, 20 TPI

Afterward I cut a barrel down for a new HAAS Chip bin.

& then there is this.

I pulled 7 Cat 5 cables on Tuesday, but its just pulled on the rack not terminated quite yet, @Mrholthaus gave me a hand with some of that.

9 Likes

I may be in some this weekend. Want me to bring my crimping tool and cable tester ?