Signs for each classroom

YES to the fire escape plan and where is our tornado shelter area?
I can see the bathrooms would be one but when they are full? Galley?
CA and lecture hall? back hallway?

I can’t imagine how much work that was. Kudos to Pearce. Again, I liked them.

If we put the lines either very high or very low they might not interfere with art. But it’s your call.

I don’t know what the control centers are … but the map file locations are:

(1) Main layout, with just room names and square footage. Available either 450px x 600px, or 4500px x 6000px. Linked from the main page of the wiki, How to Find Us, where it says “take a tour of our space”. EDIT: direct link

(2) Layout, with safety equipment, fire extinguisher and exits/emergency exits - on the jump drive, in resolutions up to 6000 pixels (long side). 4500 x 6000 px will support printing a fairly large poster. N:Committees//logistics/safety/safety equipment locations/

2 Likes

I like your idea to add signage. As a quick fix, what if we posted a copy of the building map (which includes names of the rooms) on the bulletin board by the lobby? We could even use the one that shows fire extinguishers and exits …

3 Likes

Don’t feel like the lone ranger. I’ve been a member for several years. I drew the maps. And I just found out where the super-secret PR closet is located …

:slight_smile:

6 Likes

I put those up and have zero motivation to put them back up. It was way more work than it was worth, and some people didn’t like them as a design

5 Likes

Maybe you don’t hear often enough just how cool this feature was to newbies, or maybe I underestimate just how much work it was, but this was, in my opinion MAJORLY IMPRESSIVE! It lent the space a gravitas that art and [not those neat-o lines] cannot. It helped it feel like you were walking into a NASA workshop. I liked that.

I’d like to see them return on the floor, ceiling, or any other way we can get them back. I like the app idea, but I can’t see that working out well, nor would I personally find it as impressive.Unless you can get Princess Leia style holograms to pop up at each doorway when appropriate announcing the calendar for the day specific to the room. That would trump the other ideas…

14 Likes

I haven’t thought this completely through, but what about colors of string or yarn though hoops, hooks, velcro tabs, plastic cord holders, etc. appropriately placed. String/Yarn could be removed and replaced as/when necessary.

1 Like

Thanks! I definitely appreciate that you got a NASA feel from it. I wanted to put some of acronyms from Star trek in the lines GN:DN (goes nowhere does nothing) and stuff like that, but the task quickly out grew me. I wanted to make the lines have a more “circuitry” feel to them, buuut see above.

Painting around them shouldn’t have been too hard, the secret to them is the colored lines were the width of 2" painters tape, the gaps in between were 1" painters tape. Since they were raised from the original paint it would have been pretty easy to keep the bleeding down, with some tape over them.

We could re do them at the roof level, or even on the ceiling but they aren’t as easy to follow when they aren’t eye level.

7 Likes

I have to agree with @jast I personally liked them. The new people do tend to pop their heads into classrooms to see what classroom it is.

7 Likes

I liked them a lot. Probably a quicker way would be colored vinyl tape. They now have enough colors.

4 Likes

Yeah that would make it easier to edit later too. The over the door signs were significantly easier just using vinyl stickers instead of painting them

5 Likes

I went ahead and printed a cropped version of this layout and taped it to the main entry.

I have also put it on the bulletin board.

I will also try and get it added to the Handbook in the near future.

I’m against the lines as they get in the way of the art shows when we have them. I think labels just above the doors should be sufficient. Make them cool like what is above the woodshop double doors. ( my 2 cents).

2 Likes

What about color coded doors /door frames? They could match the committee colors, which could match the signs, which could match the color coded floorplans…

I may not have thought this all the way through…

1 Like

I agree.

Copycat! :smile_cat:

Hence my idea about colored string/yarn/whatever on unobtrusive holders…they are removable and put-back-upable.

3 Likes

Stan had a great idea last night.

That would be to run an LED strip, on the wall, near the floor, to all the rooms. From the lobby, there would be a master “show me the way to a room” control. You choose a location and the LED would run a color keyed “follow me”, to that room for a set amount of time. Starts at the lobby, a 1 foot length color coded indicator that would move toward the room chosen. 3D and electronics would run a shorter time, the Interactive classroom would be longer. Shop locations would be to the center controlled door with a message about needing a badge. And the follow me drops you next to a map.

For space usage, this would be minimal and would not interfer with art shows.

For DMS, it is pretty cool and high tech feature.

It automatically can answer the “how do I get to this room” question.

It is a project that can be written up and published.

Starts with a touch screen with 2 options. Either a map or a list of rooms. Once you tap your selection, it would activate a “follow me”. It would be designed to run multiple “follow me” designators.

I have not priced it yet.

Location. Lobby is obvious and has some setup issues. Above the water fountain. To the right of the galley. On the wall where the job line is located.

If there is enough positive feedback, I will come up with some $$$ numbers and present it to the board to be my next project after the hallway refresh.

8 Likes

Instead of the walls how about the ceiling. Similar to the light the path feature on airplanes. I’m sure @Dawsmart could help us plan some blinkin’ LEDs.

4 Likes

The file for the CA hallway sign.
We started it but it never was complete.
Totally up to @missydee1206 and @mreynolds or anyone who takes on the task of redoing the rooms now.
I’m just putting this here if it can be reused.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-9lwxsfTaRgeDZwR3BoTGl6STA?usp=sharing

Yes, and out of the way of the vacuum cleaner, the CA rolling carts, and anything else that gets carried through there!

2 Likes

Blinkin LED’s are cool!

1 Like

Ok I have no idea how this could be done, but I just had
a vision of a panel in the lobby where one could punch a
button for a classroom and a series of flashing lights would
lead one to the right room

Signs would be easier however, but not as much fun!