Show and Tell November 2020

I’m also a newbie and haven’t been to the space yet! I’d love to see a photo when you finish the sword- hope you’ll share it here when you’re finished! - Kate P

1 Like

Hand-built plates.

19 Likes

Of course! Will be using the Space to work on it once the kit comes in!

Meet Ellie. She’s the cutest smellephant you’ll ever see.

I can't really talk about her (since she's in the room), but I can say that she enjoys sitting on your desk, warming up fragrant wax melting cubes to brighten your day.

She doesn't just smell up the room, she lights it up too with her in-can-desk-scent personality!

I made this using the 3D-printed coozie/mold that I designed with Solidworks.

Then I extracted the heating element from a $3 low-temperature glue gun (10 watt; about 170 degrees Fahrenheit max), which I hung from a paper clip underneath Ellie's back. I taped the power cord to her inner thigh and ran it down her leg -- for modesty's sake.

A simpler version can be made with three nested cans, like so:

Ellie's a smoker, too.

She holds the incense stick with a coffee straw in her belly which is jammed shut with a screw.

smellephantincensehook310

The hook is unnecessary, but it was the only #5 screw I had at that moment. I suppose I could've stapled the end shut as an alternative, but I like this version better.

And here’s the latest Standroid:

e4c1e67328b68b40f9275dcb983e861081c46dc8_2_500x500

10 Likes

20 Likes

Wow! Iove those boards, Great job!

2 Likes

Finished my first inlay on an end-grain cutting board. This was a gift for my cousin (Gabriel) who was married this past weekend.
Multicam is incredible tool!

13 Likes

Abe Lincoln’s “Impossible Dovetail Mallet”

19 Likes

Doesn’t have to be large or complicated to paint a picture. this is 4"x4" in walnut and maple veneers with a wax finish. this will be part of the class in December. cheers!

9 Likes

I finished this vase back in February, before Covid-19 happened, but never posted it. I had told several people I would, so here it is. Design was mostly copied from a video you may have seen on YouTube. Wenge/Paduak/Maple/Resin.

31 Likes

That’s a genius way to encase the wood chips for the resin pour. Very nicely done!

4 Likes

I’m looking at thinking the same thing. Awesome work!

1 Like

C’mon dude! You’re making the rest of us look bad!

2 Likes

Absolutely gorgeous!

2 Likes

I put together a hex grid clock from a project I saw on HackADay. It uses some 3D printed parts, a string of bulky WS8211 programmable LEDs, and an ESP8266 microcontroller (think Arduino w/built in Wi-Fi).

It fetches the time off the Internet to keep the clock accurate without the need to set the time or use a Real Time Clock board.

I made some mods from the original:

• I changed the 3D files ( making the clock thicker so it was easier to stuff in all the LEDs)
  • I tweaked the code to lower the bandwidth usage (by using millis() to only update the time a couple times a minute) since seconds are not displayed.
  • I rewrote the digits display to use a two-digit minutes for 1-9 minutes after the hour.

Here’s a YouTube of the clock animation in action.

17 Likes

Fleece wizard hoodie. Big hood, generous sleeves. Loosely based on a design by dolls kill with plenty of my own changes.

Not shown: Thumb holes in sleeves, goes down to half calf length, pockets inside. It’s just fantastic, really.

See, I know how to work a sewing machine! :smiley:

13 Likes

I finally made my summer sausage. I made a plain, cheddar, jalapeño cheddar & jalapeño. The jalapeños I picked from the garden right before we mixed them in yesterday. I then smoked them on my Traeger for 8 hours.

16 Likes

Looks yummy! Share!!!

Ok, I stressed over firing 2 bottles for about 6 weeks. Creating the perfect firing schedual for bottles can be a challenge since not all bottles are made of the same glass.

1st pic I’m a little disappointed pointed. The bottle slumped perfect with my new molds. But the bottle had an enameled “A” that completely fired off.

The second d bottle is Very Thick Glass with metallic gold print. I thought for sure this one the print would fire off. Yea! The gold is still there. I’m very happy with this one.

They both slumped with very wide plates yea!

10 Likes

This also turned out nice but the clay was supose to turn to black when it hit temp. Some clay I brought back from GA. I wonder if I got a bum bag?

13 Likes