Show and Tell November 2020

Inspire Fellow Makers

We gain inspiration from our fellow makers. Post a picture or two and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space (or wherever) here!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing at Dallas Makerspace this month!

Posting here helps not only promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post or other social media (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer social media content!

• a quality PHOTO
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY
2 Likes

My raku piece won a trophy in a ceramics show.

26 Likes

Congratulations! It’s particularly impressive that your trophy is in the professional division. Way to go!

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Over the last few months, I’ve been developing and testing an RFID access controller for the ubiquitous Seville Classics cabinets. The main motivation is to increase the security and accountability of tool usage, especially as we look to acquire more expensive devices (like the Creaform 3D scanner). This isn’t meant to be 100% secure, but to increase accountability and to provide a timestamp to correlate with video.

A prototype is deployed in 3D Fab and has been running reliably for a month. To open the cabinet, you’ll need to be a member of the 3D Printer Basics AD group.

Features:

• Cheap! Less than $50 for the first prototype
  • Wifi-based, so no need for an ethernet drop
  • Logs to a remote Syslog server
  • Secure-ish mechanical override (mostly developed by @themitch22)
  • Minimal cabinet modification

Todo:

• Increase project enclosure security
  • Decrease opening time (takes about 10-15 seconds from fob-scan to door-open)
  • Various firmware improvements
  • Design a better lock mechanism mounting plate
  • Write documentation

Thanks to @chaconne for help with the initial firmware, @themitch22 for doing most of the mechanical integration with the cabinet, @Perpetual for writing an AD-lookup REST API, and @Know for answering random electronics questions.

19 Likes

@Julie-Harris congrats, that’s a beautiful piece!

Brand newbie here (hi!), so I haven’t had a tour even of the space yet - hubby (Texan_Dane, aka Jeff - yes my username is purely to tickle him!) will hopefully be taking me up there soon, though!

So currently just puttering about with knitting at home, just finished this shawl for example:

Got the supplies to start foraying into resin casting too, just waiting for my mold! Starting out simple with some jewelry, but we’ve backed a kickstarter for dice molds, so I’m excited to down the line start making all the math rocks. All of them.

I’m also big into cosplay, so I’m super excited about getting access to the Space and learning new things. Currently in the pipeline is Yasha from Critical Role, and I’m planning to go all out, so I’m looking forward to learning stuff about leatherworking and the like. And I’ve got a sword incoming that will need assembly, surfacing, all that fun stuff - and I’ll need to figure out the best way to get it to look like it’s a legit metal sword!

16 Likes

That’s beautiful! It looks nice and cozy.

1 Like

I sold a highschool kid a Tesla Coil secondary on EBay, he gave me the wrong address when he bought it and the mail was returned, I told him I would pay for shipping the second time to his corrected address if he sent me pics of the final result. He did great job.

14 Likes

Welcome! Looks like we’re neighbors! Lots of Flower Mound folks here. It sounds like you’ll fall in love with the space when you finally get to see it. :hugs:

1 Like

Slowly getting back into the shop to relieve the tedium:

(not all in November, but within the last 30 days, I swear)

Rockler Longwood Click Pen/Pencil set with Black and White Ebony

PSI Classic Rollerball and Fountain Pen Set in Bubinga

PSI Classic Rollerball and Fountain Pen Set in Bocote

PSI Coffee Scoop in Mora

PSI Vertex Click Pen in Bocote

14 Likes

Those are all super cool, especially love that first one, I’m a sucker for high contrast grain woods. Had @texan_dane make me a dice tray in zebra wood, he’s currently plotting to remake it fancier now that he has access to all the nice Space toys!

1 Like

Redecorated my living room by building this shelf (2x8 spray painted poplar with steel angles) and furnishing with some self made modern art (aka budget decorating :wink: ); olive wood and resin on the large piece (minimal black alcohol ink added to resin), laser cut face painted and mounted to base, and a simple brown painting. :slight_smile:

22 Likes

I really like that face cut out. Beautiful decorations!

1 Like

Finished In October but I never shared this.

36”x67”x21” ambrosia maple dresser. All hardwood acquired at Central. Drawers are soft-close with false fronts. Drawer boxes are 1/2” Baltic birch with dado’d bottoms. Base is made out of 5/4 walnut. Finished with 3 coats of danish oil and 2 coats of Arm-R-Seal Semi.

Folks of the woodshop (and beyond) May have seen me running all 55 board feet of rough lumber through there :sweat_smile: There was a lot of waste due to the fact that I was paneling every side from rough lumber, so I’ve still got some 2ft+ pieces of it, if anyone wants to incorporate it into a project.

Looking forward to getting caught up on some nice, flat, non-drawer-having tables now :joy:

23 Likes

Gorgeous. How much do you sell the pens and ice cream scoop? Do you have an etsy shop?

I love your pieces and they look great on your shelf. The placement of your art is stellar.

1 Like

Willb you did a great job! I love the wood and the clean lines of your dresser.

2 Likes

wow thats a beautiful piece of furniture!

2 Likes

I can take any amount of wood and incorporate it into some project! :wink: My favorite thing to do is find people’s scraps and make something from it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

If you’re trying to get rid of your scraps, I’m wide open to receive them. :hugs: :grin:

P.S. That’s an absolutely gorgeous piece!

1 Like