Show and Tell November 2020

LOL, I did share with my kids. I just hope there some left when I get home.

1 Like

Textured hand built plate made to hang on my wall. I sat with this piece for months because I couldn’t decide what I wanted to glaze it. Commitment issues.
White stoneware glazed with spectrum textured honey on outside layered into Amaco red fire brick with globs of mayco light flux.

13 Likes

I am building a couple of kayaks and one of the things I needed to do was scarf the ends of 10’ sticks of cypress so they can be glued together to make 20’ lengths. This is normally a tedious process started with a rough cut w/saw and then fine tuned with a block plane. Never content to spend hours doing something when I can spend tens of hours of making it easier with a homemade tool, I drew, laser-cut and made a scarfing jig. It’s basically just a sideways miter box permanently set to the angle I need. To be used with a Japanese saw.

Credit: Some guy on the internet who makes one for guitar necks.

10 Likes

Jigs and fixturing.
Makers’ friends.

1 Like

If I had any good sense, I’d make one (a sled of some sort) usable with a bandsaw or table saw because this sawing is really tedious. It’s equivalent to sawing through a four inch thick board and I have to do it eight times.

Sabre saw came to mind. But I can see a number of problems including tearing up the jig.
My very limited KB on stuff like this says band saw. Angle guide on table to parallel the to slot in jig. Use jig to hold everything together as you slowly do the cut. Wild guess…

1 Like

Unlike most taper jigs, this one would let you cut the taper on the leading edge.

Start at about the 12 minute mark to see it in use before you spend time watching the “how to”. This one is a general purpose (adjustable) one, so you could probably save a lot of time making it just one dedicated angle.

3 Likes

Anette bought me some ricohlite serpentine from new Mexico. We cut it into slabs last week and I cut and polished my first piece today.

17 Likes

In the last picture, is that a live plant in the background in blue holder or a vinyl/fake one?

I thought it was a fake one at first but I’m told it is real. It is a Spathiphyllum or Peace lily. We have several fake ones around too though.

These squares were in a donation pile and I couldn’t just leave them, so I’m sewing a quilt and some coasters. My theory is that they’re from some kind of quiltung class.

Any ideas on what to do with a BUNCH more of these small quares?

![nana rainbow crochet jacket_4(2)~2|435x500]
(upload://plZlI87L7P8oVBntVxsupQOmBSC.jpeg)

8 Likes

Woman Face 1 - done in the style of Patrick Nagel (see www.patricknagel.com/. 5"x5" natural and dyed veneers. We’ll discuss this during the Portraits in Wood class as part of the doing people section next month. This is pretty high on the difficulty scale especially considering it’s size. I had to get several parts in with tweezers.

9 Likes

I’m making epoxy cutting boards. Buying the boards and using epoxy on cutting boards & tables. Hopefully for the holidays.

13 Likes

Finally finished the tabletop I’ve been working on - solid black walnut with mahogany legs.

20 Likes

Placemats or table runners seem to be the common choice. Or pillow covers.

Love that shawl/jacket/? in particular, great job :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m going to have to play with the settings in lightburn. My box didn’t cut all the way through. (and I ran out of time to test some more)

11 Likes

Work holding is the bane of my existence. I strongly prefer general-purpose holding fixtures over a purpose-built fixture or jig. Using the Bridgeport, I made a “fence” for my Sherline mill rotary table for flat parts that don’t work well in the vise.

The rail fits into the slot on the rotary table. The “fence” clamps to the rotary table using bolts/T-nuts and the tapped holes are for various hold-downs. After I tram it parallel to the ways with a dial test indicator, then I can get precise angular movements. (EDIT: The fixture is shown upside down)

As an aside, I had intended to clamp at least one other edge, but this was surprisingly stable without doing that.

12 Likes

Chracuterie board I made. Cut the wood pattern on the cnc then poured the epoxy in a HDPE form.

15 Likes

Fixed up a batch of Alton Brown’s clarified milk punch. I’m just posting the finished product because the curdled wine/rum/tea mixture is sort of unpleasant to look at, and also I only shot video of that part.

13 Likes

When you lack skills to throw a perfect mug…you wing it and go organic. Gaze upon these beauties :v::two_hearts::coffee:

15 Likes