Show and Tell June 2023

Now that May is behind us…

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space (or somewhere else) here!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing at Dallas Makerspace this month!

Posting here helps not only promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post or other social media (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer social media content!

• a decent QUALITY photo
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY
2 Likes

I made this coat rack from a whiskey barrel stave and some antique fox hunting hooks a year or so ago. I just got around to making a matching hat rack to go with it. The Hobby Lobby shaker pegs stained up nicely with some mahogany gel stain.

16 Likes

A few floral preservation pieces finished up this last week. Both wedding bouquets.

Step 1: dry flowers in silica for two weeks
Step 2: curate layout
Step 3: start pouring resin. First layer should be just enough to lock the flowers in place. Too much resin in this layer and they’ll float around.
Step 4: resin layer by resin layer. Keep to about 1/4”-1/2” pours. Over pouring causes heat build up that will brown the flowers. Careful with the blowtorch to pop bubbles, dry flowers are very prone to catching fire!
Step 5: clear coats! The charcuterie board with the handle required both a clear coat on front and back due to wanting the transparency factor.

25 Likes

You always do such beautiful work. Thank you for sharing.

3 Likes

Thank you! :blush:

Absolutely stunning! And what a practical keepsake for something that would otherwise have no use. Very clever and exquisitely done.

2 Likes

Thanks so much!!

1 Like

Including the steps/making notes was very helpful/thoughtful. And prolly saved you having to anser the same questions 5 or 6 times :–)

2 Likes

I had a few people ask me about the process when I was up at the space last week so thought I’d just list them incase anyone else was curious :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mama’s Garden finally got its “children”

15 Likes

Those are amazing results - do you ever do classes on resin projects like that?

Designed and constructed a western horse bridle for my wife’s mustang. He’s a big boy (1,200+ lbs) so the usual commercial bridles are too small. Example: this brow-band is 18” vs 15”, the cheeks are 3” longer, and the throat-latch is 7” longer than standard.

10-11oz vegtan leather, Saddle Tan dye, conchos, and buckle hardware from Tandy. Leather was dyed, edges and back smoothed with Tokonole, and conditioned with 100% Neatsfoot oil.

I did have to fabricate keeper rings for the brow-band (forged from recycled couch springs).

23 Likes

By piping 2 signals of different frequencies through Radioactive Decay circuits, Rob Virkus has created a Chaotic Lissajous pattern from The Analog Thing computer.

He plans to plot some of these onto paper in a coming iteration.

7 Likes

Howard @hforsberg just finished surfacing both sides of his new workbench top on my Multicam CNC.

8 Likes

I’ve finished the 1/24 scale project about which I posted some interim photos earlier. It’s an outdoor Italian courtyard. The entire box is about a 7" cube and will sit on a bookshelf surrounded by books.

The cat is reaching for the fish in the bike basket.

Everything is made from scratch except the electrical components. I purchased the .stl model of the reaching cat.

29 Likes

Amazing doesn’t come near enough description.

2 Likes

Cut this topaz today from some blue preform I had on hand.

16 Likes

Made a pizza peel for the pizza oven I am getting for fathers day.
Stainless steel with a sea grape handle.

16 Likes

I’ve opted to improve upon the gift boxes I made in May.

(Worry not, Mercer is also getting a similar box)

I should probably step up to better material than 5mm underlayment for these projects.

13 Likes