Show and Tell January 2022

Great work @excalbian. I missed the class. I wanted to do it too. How the Raspberry Pi class prep coming along? Let me know if you need help with 3D printing.

1 Like

I stalk the calendar lmao

2 Likes

Wow! What kind of wood? Did you have to glue-up the panels too?

This one is mahogany. Typically his carved doors are either mahogany, Spanish cedar or walnut.

Fortunately the customer provides the panels cut moderately oversized and sanded. I start with the flat panels and cut the raised panel bevels and the necessary patterns on my CNC.

1 Like

We have some copper leaves. A couple of the guys decided that instead of leaves they wanted to make arrowheads is there more masculine I thought I was toast everyone’s faces and let everybody see what great work they
Uploading: 20220119_212607.jpg…

6 Likes

Let me see if I can get the other pictures posted

8 Likes

8 Likes

It was very fun. We were originally going to use 28 gauge copper but ended up using 22 gauge because it was what was available. @Cairenn_Day was very helpful and taught us several techniques. She showed us some of her work on her phone and it was beautiful stuff.

I think most everyone enjoyed the class very much and time just flew by. The arrowhead idea was mine because I saw a slide show on the back wall in jewelry that inspired me to cut one from copper.
Mike Robbins and I went with the arrowheads. (Sorry Cairenn)

5 Likes

One of the about teaching classes is the fact that my students may come up with a different idea than what I was thinking about. I really like the arrowhead idea and okay y’all I’m probably I’ve had men asking for something they could wear so now I’ve got an idea of one. I think the more ideas one can get is always a good it enhances everybody

Just a couple more attempts playing with scratch board and my CO2 laser. Made a change to the dpi which seemed to work out.

9 Likes

Wow really nice work.

1 Like

thank you. I’m working on it.

Thank you for teaching. It stretched me. I want to finish with a patina on
my ginkgo leaf. I have ideas for more things. . .

1 Like

I am so happy that you want to do more. That’s what I really enjoy about teaching is getting other people excited about things I’ve enjoyed do it

I modified a Harbor Freight 3lb hand sledge to make a double diagonal pien hammer for use in Blacksmithing.

A double diagonal pien is handy for a couple of reasons. First, the diagonal pien means one can hold the hammer at a 45 degree angle to the length of the workpiece on order to lengthen:

The double diagonal allows one to simply rotate the handle to flip the head 180 degrees: switching from lengthening to widening.

I made the hammer by slicing corners off of the opposing faces, then grinding and smoothing with a grinding wheel and flap sander. I kept the head cool with frequent dipping in water to prevent losing the temper of the face.

Finally, I used a scraper to remove the factory varnish from the handle and gave it a quick torched finish. Some orange spraypaint was added like I do to all my hammers.

10 Likes

2 months of work on 4 whiskey barrels, 550 rivets, 4 sets of soft closes drawer slides, an extra set of steel barrel bands and a dream was realized, :relaxed:

16 Likes

Great idea! Where’d you find the barrels?

Lol. 4 barrels of whiskey later, I finished it.

4 Likes

Lol :joy: that’s the truth :rofl::rofl:

For about $100 you can get a barrel

1 Like