Show and Tell January 2022

Auld Lang Syne!

Having fun making at Dallas Makerspace? Help us join in by posting to this thread with some photos and a description of something you are working on this month at the 'Space (or wherever) and we’ll help you join in our fun, too!

Small craft projects, large CNC router projects, quick & dirty tools made by tools, and so much more happen at Dallas Makerspace. Cool things done at DMS by cool people often go unseen by our peers, not to mention the curious public. Post up here to share the interesting things you are doing with Dallas Makerspace this month!

These posts help promote cohesiveness and community at Dallas Makerspace, inspire others to make a cool something. and help our PR show off what can be done here using social media or blog posts (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Consider the following on each post, to help make for richer experiences:

• a QUALITY photo can help us with the vision
  • WHO you are, possibly for attribution outside of this venue, but also to help our fellow members get to know each other (or at least each other’s work)
  • WHAT you’ve made might not be immediately obvious, but even if it is, we :heart: a good story!
  • HOW you’ve made it (and perhaps HOW DMS helped) inspires others to follow along
  • WHY you made it (all about the inspiration, dontchaknow)
2 Likes

@cvrana and @skyspook helped me with the Fusion laser and I’ve had a lot of fun engraving things.

The triforce is for me but the rest is for the gift shop or Christmas gifts. :slightly_smiling_face:

14 Likes

Did these this weekend.

13 Likes

Hello, I’ve been MIA from DMS due to some health reasons. I hope to be back soon! But I did take a restful trip to see family in Ga for Christmas then
drive down to Savannah and spend some time with my son. Then ended the year with a pottery pit fire New years in the drizzle and mist.
We had a table full of chemicals and misc stuff to use that cause some awesome flame colors in the misty dark.

Great fun with my awesome pottery friends.

![FB_IMG_1641141100704|375x500]
(upload://4j6ZRKXR0C1KxKKK0OIi1fXeuDr.jpeg)

19 Likes

What beautiful pots!

1 Like

11 Likes

10 Likes

I learned how not to, and then how to stick a Tungsten Rod on the end of a spark plug.

8 Likes

Made some more rings.

26 Likes

I was given a wood-burning kit for Christmas from Jacob, so I am learning how to work with it. I made signs for the kilns and burned on my book I built. I can’t wait to see what else I can create.

13 Likes

made a 9¾ piece with Hufflepuff house border for a gift.

stacked the numbers on top of the piece to give it some dimension and not have to cut the center circle up too much.

33 Likes

Thats freaking awesome Pearce! Very well done!

3 Likes

Just finished making 5 of these business card holders the other day. Shout out to @bertberaht for the cedar! I’ve got some more projects planned for the rest of my cedar stash. And shout out to @j801496 for fixing the bandsaws so I could finish these!

17 Likes

Letterpress class! I made the fear is the mind killer ones. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Looks great - very nice workmanship. What did you use for metal parts? Hex rod or something else?

1 Like

I used this set of hardware from Rockler. You can basically attach it to any base to make a nice looking business card holder https://www.rockler.com/pen-funnel

2 Likes

I forged a holder for the bird feeder I got my wife for Christmas. It has two pins at the post: remove one and one can rotate the feeder close to the deck for refilling. Easy Peasy.

14 Likes

More cutting boards! Tried out some new designs on the bandsaw, a different technique for hand grips, and even… juice grooves. That’s right… juice grooves.

Cheers.

22 Likes

Another of my forging projects. This time a “tools to make tools” project: a set of forged blacksmith calipers. The double arms allows the smith to track progress on two different measurements without repeatedly pulling out the metal ruler.

Made from 1/8” thick mild steel in a couple of widths. Slit-punched and drifted hanger hole. The arms are friction-tight to allow setting to a pair of measurements.

Seltzer can for scale.

11 Likes