Show and Tell December 2021

Walking in a Winter Wonderland?

Having fun making at Dallas Makerspace? Help us join in by posting to this thread with some photos and a description of something you are working on this month at the 'Space (or wherever) and we’ll help you join in our fun, too!

Small craft projects, large CNC router projects, quick & dirty tools made by tools, and so much more happen at Dallas Makerspace. Cool things done at DMS by cool people often go unseen by our peers, not to mention the curious public. Post up here to share the interesting things you are doing with Dallas Makerspace this month!

These posts help promote cohesiveness and community at Dallas Makerspace, inspire others to make a cool something. and help our PR show off what can be done here using social media or blog posts (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Consider the following on each post, to help make for richer experiences:

• a QUALITY photo can help us with the vision
  • WHO you are, possibly for attribution outside of this venue, but also to help our fellow members get to know each other (or at least each other’s work)
  • WHAT you’ve made might not be immediately obvious, but even if it is, we :heart: a good story!
  • HOW you’ve made it (and perhaps HOW DMS helped) inspires others to follow along
  • WHY you made it (all about the inspiration, dontchaknow)
1 Like

1:12 scale miniature stove replicating an early 1900’s Sill Sterling gas/wood-burning stove. Stove is constructed of machined bronze lost-wax castings, machined/turned brass parts and resin-printed stovepipes. It is comprised of 82 parts consisting of 46 unique part numbers. It required 22 fixtures for machining/assembly and weighs over one pound. The door hinges and latches work and the burners are removable.

The stove is the centerpiece of a “room box” / diorama. EDIT: The room is described in this separate post.

Major tools: Fusion 360, Elegoo Mars Pro/Pro2 resin printer, Jewelry casting studio, Sherline mill, Taig/Sherline lathes, Bridgeport mill, Shapeoko 3 XXL, guillotine cutter, Hydroflux “welder”, soldering torch, airbrush.

Most of the skills except the machining and soldering were new to me; especially the casting. I could have never done this without all the help from the Jewelry casting team, especially Johnny @JbluJkt and Joseph @nausser915 (I love you guys and I can’t thank you enough!) When I started, I didn’t even know how to use Fusion 360 so it has been quite a learning experience.

(The lifter was hand-carved in wax, then cast in bronze)

This 50-second animation shows the stove from all aspect angles.

Before final assembly or finishing:

Components:

Fabrication order was crucial. To account for casting shrinkage, I cast and machined all of the castings then made the sheet metal parts. It would be possible to adjust the sheet metal panels slightly but it would have been difficult to adjust the castings.

This storyboard shows a condensed version of the casting process using one part as an example.

33 Likes

Incredible!!

1 Like

Just amazing :heart:

1 Like

You are amazing. Beautiful work. Thanks for sharing so much detail.

2 Likes

I forged a bunch of cheese slicers in a few different styles. These will be donated to a charcuterie/cutting board sale that the Fort Collins Creator Hub is hosting to support the local Food Bank.

I still have a few more to make before tomorrow, and several still need their stainless steel wire added.

22 Likes

All bow and be humbled by the Master Maker of Miniatures!

All the tooling I’ve seen her working on is what is amazing.

3 Likes

Thanks. Casting is wonderful for organic shapes, but a little more challenging when you need parts to fit together. Unless you’re a machinist, you wouldn’t necessarily think about the fact that all the castings had to be machined to make them flat, orthogonal, and correctly dimensioned - at the very least to remove the casting sprues. That means you need a way to hold the parts …

01-1 IMG_1209a_600px

12 Likes

Okay, so you need to work on your casting skills until they NET out of the mold. When you get there* it’ll be:

All kowtow, grovel and lower your eyes in the presence of the Master of Makers of Miniatures!

• Note; Profile tolerance band of .002", surface 64 or better, faying surface mismatch .005 max. between parts in order to qualify for this honorific.
3 Likes

I wasn’t sure what to do with my first fused glass collection, so I mounted the pieces in this frame and put them on the wall.

24 Likes

Those are fantastic!

1 Like

Wow! Lovely!

1 Like

I LOVE your stove. Have enjoyed seeing you work on it. Is there someplace at DMS that it could be on display for a while, so we can all marvel over and over?
I still want some of your miniature turned wood pieces!

1 Like

First time forging/making a Leaf Pendant/Keychain. Forged with the Induction Forge, cleaned up on the KMG & Sandblasted before coating in beeswax.

Leaf Pendant S1
Leaf Pendant S2
Leaf Pendant S3
Leaf Pendant S4
Leaf Pendant S5
Leaf Pendant S6

20 Likes

Made this for my wifes Christmas party tonight, has the company logo, its a shortbread cookie mold, has one coat of mineral oil. Thanks @got_tools for helping me through a few basic steps I had forgotten since taking laser basics but never actually using it. Used some dremel burrs to grind out the burned embossing in the bottom. I was going to make a template on the laser to for the handle then realized I could just cut a shallow line right on my beech rough cut part, that was pretty cool.

Sort of worked, the cookie dough slumped more than expected but you can see the logo, it needs a refrigerated dough with less fat.

19 Likes

Those came out awesome

1 Like

Framed butterflies

15 Likes

Endgrain walnut cutting boards in progress, 1-3/4" thick.
Walnut is from the group buy a year ago (thanks Ian!!!)

17 Likes

Laser etched and resin filled cutting boards.

Not yet up to masking my own boards yet, these were purchased bamboo boards.

Food safe resin, I checked.

19 Likes