Kitchen Diorama - completed project

An 85-year old photo of my great-grandmother shows her in the family’s modest kitchen of their early-1900’s house. The picture speaks to me and I wanted to replicate it in a miniature “room box” / diorama. Everything inside and out, including the box and its wiring was shopmade (by me) from scratch, except for a few minor components. It has taken me nearly three years to make everything; but over half of that was spent designing, casting and machining the stove. There is substantial DMS content in this project ranging across numerous committee areas. I am so grateful for all the help that so many DMS members gave me throughout this project!

Inspiration:

Result:

ROOM BOX:
Box Exterior:
• The box is viewable from all angles. It simulates a vintage pasta tin from approximately the photograph era.
• I redrew a tiny, low-res image of a wrong-sized vintage tin to the correct size/aspect ratio and customized it.
• There is a small hole for the electrical jack (Jewelry disk cutter) (hand-wired from some Tanner’s parts!)
• ¼” plywood skinned with Dynasub aluminum panels (with custom dye-sublimated artwork). Jewelry guillotine cutter, Creative Arts Dye Sub equipment, table saw.

Box interior:
• Interior walls are individual 1/32” thick planks.
• Laser cut floor “tiles”
• Planks, baseboards, moldings, door, and functional window all shopmade. All door/window hardware shopmade except hinges.
• Backlit photos in door/window
• LED ceiling light; my first ever Fusion360 design. Shade was 3D-printed in resin by @themitch22. Brass components/knurled bolt on Taig lathe.

STOVE:

The stove/oven is the centerpiece of the scene, combining machined bronze castings and machined/turned brass parts. The stovepipes are 3D printed resin. It is comprised of 80 parts consisting of 45 unique part numbers. Several crucial skills were new to me so a lot of learning was involved; for instance, teaching myself Fusion 360.

• Resin printers
• Tanabe Kenden and J2R casting machines
• Sherline mill
• Taig lathe

The stove is described in detail in this Show & Tell Post.

A match holder on the wall held wooden matches – the stove predates pilot lights. A rope line held towels and other miscellaneous items to dry next to the warm oven.
• Laser cutter (Zing)

GRANDMA:

Grandma is hand-sculpted using polymer clay, painted with Genesis heat set paints and dressed with cotton lawn (I took a class to do all this). She’s a short, buxom, fat little old Italian granny complete with coarse “sausage fingers”, swollen granny ankles, and what I describe as “nun shoes”. She doesn’t look like my great-grandmother but is intended to evoke a similar impression. (I purchased the eyeglass frames and added lenses).

FURNITURE & ACCESSORIES:
This kitchen pre-dates built-in cabinetry. The modest belongings were stored in a single armoire-type cupboard.

My favorite accessory: a resin-printed juicer! This was my second-ever Fusion 360 design and was resin-printed by @Webdevel .

Cupboard:
• Cherry panels and moldings (miniature table saw, thickness sander, Cameron drill press, Dremel drill press/overhead router)
• Working (sliding) latch and knobs (Sherline mill, Taig lathe)
• Working doors with glass windows and purchased hinges

Chair:
• Cherry components and turnings (miniature table saw, thickness sander, Cameron drill press, Taig lathe and a whole lot of fixtures for all the compound/complex angles!
• Laser-cut pin routing fixtures for the curved back supports and the back

Sink and mirror:
• Hand-built glazed ceramic sink built over shopmade wooden sink mold (with brazing rod leg supports)
• Cast faucets
• Historically accurate copper “P-trap”
• Silvered microscope slide mirror, with shopmade moldings and hand-carved shell motif

PREP TABLE:
The photo shows Grandma cooking something on the stove. It was most likely pasta. She grew her own tomatoes and herbs and made sauce from scratch.

Enamel Pot:
• Wooden spoon (mystery wood, probably pear) – Taig lathe
• Copper pan – Taig lathe
• Water/pasta – resin and FIMO polymer clay

enamel_pot_600px

Table:
• Cherry panels, functional drawers (center slide bar), and turnings (miniature table saw, thickness sander, Cameron drill press, Taig lathe, Dremel drill press/overhead router)
• Aluminum handles and feet (Sherline mill, Taig lathe)
• All the accoutrements were handmade except the glass bowl, plastic spoon, and cheese grater (FIMO polymer clay, laser-cut paper leaves, Photoshop artwork,
photo-etched stainless steel knife blade with cold-riveted handle
• I also poured the resin blank for turning the olive oil bottle

Colander:
• Made from silver sheet on (small) Shapeoko (redrilled on Cameron drill press), and domed in Jewelry on dapping block.
• Soldered feet and handles

01 colander IMG_8360a_600px

Laundry and cleaning supplies:

• Painted basswood shelf with self-drawn shelf paper (miniature table saw, thickness sander, Dremel drill press/overhead router
  • Bleach and laundry bluing – Taig lathe
    • Both are made from two-part resin blanks that simulate liquid inside the bottle

35 Likes

Words cannot express how impressed I am. I remember talking to you about the dye sub aluminum for the outer façade. This entire diorama is absolutely incredible. That you for all of the information that you shared about your process and the material and tools that you used. Magnifico!

6 Likes

I am absolutely blown away by your skill, patience and dedication to a project such as this. What an amazing creation. What a labor of love. Thank you so much for sharing.

4 Likes

These are amazing! I know you’ve been working on this for a long time. What’s next? A break I am sure haha

3 Likes

A miniature of the miniature to put the miniature table. :grin:

4 Likes

Actually … I did that once. If I had a 1:12 scale room box / diorama and if it had a 1:12 scale room box inside of it … that would be a 1:144 scale room box. Which I made … and inside that 1:144 scale room box there is a tiny dollhouse reduced by another 1/12th; so therefore it’s a 1:1728 scale dollhouse!

I have been prohibited from ever making something that small again because of all the nasty words that my husband has allegedly never heard before.

Nothing is functional. But at least it’s not a trick penny.

13 Likes

I’m glad my small contribution 3D printing the ceiling lamp glass worked out. This is so incredible, this is truly a masterpiece.

4 Likes

Wow! Will you be having a showing of the piece at the makerspace?

At breakerspace? I’d be scared to leave something so dear and delicate

3 Likes

I’m sure she approves.

This should clean up at the State Fair…

7 Likes

Note her reflection in the mirror…

8 Likes

Absolutely amazing

1 Like

And a wedding band on her finger. Absolutely amazing. You should be working in a museum. Wow!

3 Likes

The mirror itself is incredible. I think you could look at this for hours and keep finding new details that you’ve previously missed.

2 Likes

I think it could be the making of a Twilight Zone episode;

Rod Sterling voice:

“John the Cat is a maker of life-like miniatures, capturing the details and soul of real life. Each time you look, you see something you didn’t see before, a look out the window and you’ll see you’re in the Twilight Zone.”

Close-up of grandma (did she wink?}

5 Likes

Thanks for noticing. She also has pearl earrings …

7 Likes

Wow… what an amazing set of projects and so very well done!

Congrats! Great job!

DD

1 Like

Wow Chris! The details, the hours and hours that must have gone into this. All the different techniques and skills you had to use to make this. Jeezus this is just absolutely amazing!

1 Like

…glasses, that ear! Skin tone, hair…beyond words.

1 Like

Your diorama is absolutely amazing. You can tell that it was a labor of love…and probably patience. Thank you for sharing so much of your process. What an inspiration you and your project are to all us makers.

1 Like