Show and Tell December 2021

Where did you get the file for the star wars Mayan calendar?

1 Like

i didnt realize it was star wars until you pointed it out

https://3axis.co/star-wars-aztec-calendar-dxf-file/075ydjpo/

2 Likes

Fantastic, thank you! I never think of Etsy for laser files.

So as some of you know, Memorial Day, the transmission in my Excursion went out. Ive been extremely busy at work to have time to work on it. Finally I pulled it out in mid-October for the initial inspection. What I found is my forward drum splines stripped. I hem hawed around for a bit to decide what I wanted to do with it. Billet replacement parts were about 1700$ for just a couple parts. I ended up going with a full length spline stock drum, but I did end up replacing my input shaft with a 300M shaft. Now I did machine some guide pins on my Monarch lathe. I did not single point thread the threads as my machine does not have metric pitches. It is cold rolled 1/2 rod, which the finish turned out beautiful for cold rolled.

Now that it’s finished, I can procrastinate on other things.

The stripped splines

The replacement

Then back together

The 300M shaft

The making of the guide pins, yes the finish is that shiny it left my finger prints.

Got it all finished installed today & its running ok.

16 Likes

I see your wife isn’t allowing the kitchen table to be used on this rebuild.

1 Like

Shout out and much thanks to @j801496 for hosting a class on making cutting boards.

To think that I was attending woodshop basics only a month ago. Coworkers think that I am a seasoned woodworker now, :wink:

Again, thank you John!

18 Likes

Here’s a couple of things I made recently.

26 Likes

Some stocking stuffers for my family:

Designed in a 2D CAD app, cut on the thunder. Opted not to finish them because my glueing process is best described as ‘hasty’.

22 Likes

LOL When I first looked I thought they were vials of Covid Vax.

2 Likes

That would be a … different … side of the family if so :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Board and knife from today’s class with john!

19 Likes

Made this today. I haven’t had much experience with woodshop (just woodshop basics) but @j801496 helped me create this.

16 Likes

Installed today in a company lobby. Backlit world map in metallic blue & silver. 51"x100"
Customer wanted it mounted 9" from the ceiling. It only seemed like it weighed a ton for those last few inches!

Room lights off:

Room lights on:

27 Likes

Wow thats beautiful

1 Like

Wow! That’s amazing! Was it very hard to make?

Cutting board from last week’s class with @j801496 Wood is walnut, dark walnut and soft maple.

Here it is during its christening:

23 Likes

Beautifully done @Maker_K ! :clap:t3:

It was more tedious than anything. Not eager for another that size. The metallic paint is unforgiving as well. Fortunately I have found a painter/finisher who is a magician and bailed me out of a couple of headaches. I told the customer not to tell anyone where he got it … only half kidding!

3 Likes

So glad you attended the class. And I absolutely love seeing it be used!

1 Like