Reminder: Wide Format Printing SIG Today 6/22 at 1PM

Does the paid version require you pay before the print is even done? Because that would be awesome. If you want, once we have settled on one I am pretty decent at sad puppy emails and I can see about getting a license donated. It worked for Sew Arts and most Freemium programs I’ve needed.

Yes, please take them out of storage asap, even if they have to go on a palette in 102 while we work on them.

Going to recommend putting each meeting’s minutes into its own page.
JSM has a pretty good model to follow, e.g20190611’s
Note header on main page to “Meeting Minutes” (already in place for WFPrint SIG)
and then links to each meeting minutes’ page under it. Using this format, and using the proper templates and tags for the minutes page, will help ensure easier future interactions (e.g. searches) as well as proper indexing (i.e. showing under the “meetings” page, which we have apparently decided needs to contain each and every meetings’ minutes in perpetuity, but that’s another subject…)
Let me know if I can help with that… :+1:

2 Likes

I like this idea as I think it will make it easier to follow and easier to move things over should a SIG become its own committee. I’ll try to remember to mention it to the SIG leaders in the next committee meeting.

1 Like

I don’t have administration rights to make a new page but I agree

Not needed.
Here’s how to make a new page:

1. search for the page you wish to create (or wish to make sure doesn’t already exist)
  2. click on the resulting red “edit” link
  3. put your contents into the edit interface as appropriate
  4. Be sure to include template and category info as appropriate (I prefer to place them @ the top of the field, so they’re easier to get to/change in future if needed, although traditional wiki etiquette places them at the bottom)
  5. Save - optional, but advisable to include comments on the edit
  6. paste link into “main page”
  7. Save main page - optional, but advisable to include comments on the edit
  8. Pop a beer
  9. Congratulate yourself on a job well done!
7 Likes

I’ll try it here in a second thanks

Did the next one get put in the calendar?

Working on it. July 10, 7:30pm, probably Purple classroom.

1 Like

10 4. I will probably be late. Your lady love asked for a felting class that night.

The HP T610 44" Wide Format printer is currently located at my house. Whenever the SIG is ready for it I can deliver it to DMS. Besides the six HP 72 ink cartridges it also needs a new printhead, an HP 72 Magenta/Cyan (HP C9383A), that costs about $80.

The HP T1100 24" Wide Format printer will be delivered to DMS next week. This printer will be located in the new Expansion Group Conference Room just off the Common Room. The Expansion Group has priority with this printer for the near term.

3 Likes

Excellent, and thank you for working on this!

1 Like

I would suggest that the general membership do not have access to either printer until they are installed in the new Digital Arts room, and with the proper control/tracking software installed.

5 Likes

The 24" wide format printer in the Expansion Group Conference Room will be connected directly to a PC via a USB port. We will be using the print drivers in the AutoCAD software. Any other type of printing software will be up to the SIG via the network interface.

1 Like

Whatever works best for you is great Rich.

I’m just suggesting that no one other than Expansion uses that 24" printer until you are 100% done with needing it, and we don’t allow access to the 44" until it is installed in the new Digital Arts room with access only via a dedicated computer (no network access at all).

3 Likes

We need to start planning on either an RFID or computer software interface that limits and tracks users so we can keep track of consumables and limit users to the AD group only.

Edit: It occurs to me that my above comment is obvious. What I mean is that we should probably plan to not open the use of the printers to members until an appropriate solution to this is found.

4 Likes

We discussed that too and are all in agreement there. Initial consumables is in the pre request so we can do training modules and train the trainer but we need to wait for floors

Good news everyone, floors are coming to a makerspace near you soon

5 Likes

Will they install the vinyl too :joy:

1 Like

That printer uses HPGL/2, not PostScript.

I don’t mean to be totally rectal, but the color will be insanely bad, until somebody “footprints” it, and sets-up an ICC profile. I have some software/keys which can do this trick. When it goes online, we should try to footprint/target a profile.

1 Like