Volunteer Teachers

Our new member messaging (for example Tour Nights) has been largely unregulated/unreviewed/unscripted/not practiced (whatever you want to call it). We haven’t been messaging the gospel of the global Maker Movement as we should have. This has led to the wrong message going out to many of the newer members. I apologize that you ended up getting caught in this errant messaging.

Can you make a living as a Maker? Heck yes! Is that the primary mission at DMS? No, not at all.

7 Likes

I think you should be on that emerging ‘Sunshine Squad’ (Volunteer Recognition) group. Great idea!

I’ll get a meeting up when I get back. I figured the 30 day grace period will cover us if people cannot make the first meeting. (I’ll get it on calendar when I’m back from Nebraska unless @indytruks138 wanted to pick a day/time)

Making wiki pages is something I’m not sure how to do. I’ll try to con someone into showing me tonight. I also was not sure if that came before or after the decision in if we exist or not

To support the idea of needing 5 people to request creation of a committee, I am asking for committments from anyone willing to be on this new committee we are proposing. I count myself and @MrsMoose as the first two. @Adam_Oas you seem to have some great ideas, are you in as part of the committee?
@eadams1971 want to be a part of this movement?
@nicksilva have any interest?
@uglyknees this seems up your alley, I know you are busy but we’d love to have you.
@heyheymama looking your way, you did such a great job organizing laser volunteers.

3 Likes

I formally request to be designated #2 because my eyes are brown which I’m told means I’m full of…

2 Likes
2 Likes

At the end of the day, DMS has ~2200 members paying an average of ~$40 a month or around $88k/month gross revenue. Revenues from machine time, sales of materials gross a few thousand - and typically skip the general fund. Donations to the General Fund are intermittent. Mandatory expenses - rent, utilities, insurance, housekeeping, etc - are a goodly percentage of this. Committee allocations are another chunk of the gross margin. Toss in thousands to tens of thousands of dollars a month worth of expansion then you have available cashflow which is markedly less than half of our gross revenues. Membership numbers have subsequently flatlined at best, thus finances are tightening.

Against this reality it baffles the mind that there’s a seemingly widely-held impression that the honorarium program has been seen as a way to supplement one’s income to a significant degree.

A better path to making a living as a maker is to make things and sell them on the open market. This is a more viable path than teaching classes at DMS for honorarium because there’s orders of magnitude more opportunity out there than the meager tens of thousands of potential free cashflow through DMS.

9 Likes

I already made things and sold them well before Makerspace. I understand things differently now that I have had my Talk account and can see what the original idea of honorarium was for. At the time, I thought, if this person is making the same of what I make at my job and can stay here all day, then I can teach classes, get paid and also make things I was going to sell anyways.

I have no issues selling what I make and especially now that I have access to such great tools. Some people’s actions at makerspace have a trickle down effect and can be impressionable to new members not aware of the past or current issues with money.

So I dropped all my classes for the month and am now only focusing on my projects. Seems like there is much more to deal with, I dont need to add to the problems. I’ll teach when things are straightened out

1 Like

Some of these problems are inherent to a volunteer organization - especially one as large and that has grown as fast as DMS. Growth covers numerous sins, but the growth ended right as our expenses have risen dramatically. Thus we are being forced to make changes quickly rather than making them slowly by choice.

3 Likes

I think that the idea being proposed is ultimately going to be another focal point of contention, argument and disagreement. I applaud and understand the sentiment, though.
Edit: intended as a reply to the thread, not to Adam specifically.

I would have taken Lance’s classes to learn how to sell them on the open market :wink:
But perhaps he will come back and this time charge for them.

1 Like

The solution to all our problems may be just a dose of Capitalism. The “safety” training may qualify for an honorarium but everything else will end up as “Free market”. There is a choice of volunteering your time or charging whatever the market will bare. The Maker space would administer the fees and take a piece of the action for the use of the hall. There would have to be a review process with a grading system, hopefully give an indication of who knows something about what they are teaching. Think of it as a tutoring program.

5 Likes

Very true. The Maker way, is to try and better your life, by inventing/hacking something new or unique. Money comes into play (because sometimes an idea sells), but really isn’t the point.

I expect nothing when I volunteer, but Vector receives no funding or stipends so when I teach I pass the honorarium over to that committee.

1 Like

He has a private, paid coaching program now.

Where? and more characters

I’m on his email list after taking classes with him. If you pm me your email address, I’ll see if I can find one to send to you.

Edit: I opted in on his evaluation form. I intentionally asked to be included.

@yashsedai, Lance is using our email data for personal use? Is that PII?

Sounds more like satisfied class members gave him their email. He does marketing, I almost guarantee he asked those interested to sign up.
Let’s not jump to another conclusion and further alienate a member/teacher that was respected by his students.

6 Likes

Should probably listen to your own advice. I had the same thing mentioned to me, from someone who talked with Lance about it. They told me his mailing list was made from the attendance sheets. Not volunteering to sign up.

2 Likes