Reminder: Wide Format Printing SIG Today 6/22 at 1PM

Did the next one get put in the calendar?

Working on it. July 10, 7:30pm, probably Purple classroom.

1 Like

10 4. I will probably be late. Your lady love asked for a felting class that night.

The HP T610 44" Wide Format printer is currently located at my house. Whenever the SIG is ready for it I can deliver it to DMS. Besides the six HP 72 ink cartridges it also needs a new printhead, an HP 72 Magenta/Cyan (HP C9383A), that costs about $80.

The HP T1100 24" Wide Format printer will be delivered to DMS next week. This printer will be located in the new Expansion Group Conference Room just off the Common Room. The Expansion Group has priority with this printer for the near term.

3 Likes

Excellent, and thank you for working on this!

1 Like

I would suggest that the general membership do not have access to either printer until they are installed in the new Digital Arts room, and with the proper control/tracking software installed.

5 Likes

The 24" wide format printer in the Expansion Group Conference Room will be connected directly to a PC via a USB port. We will be using the print drivers in the AutoCAD software. Any other type of printing software will be up to the SIG via the network interface.

1 Like

Whatever works best for you is great Rich.

I’m just suggesting that no one other than Expansion uses that 24" printer until you are 100% done with needing it, and we don’t allow access to the 44" until it is installed in the new Digital Arts room with access only via a dedicated computer (no network access at all).

3 Likes

We need to start planning on either an RFID or computer software interface that limits and tracks users so we can keep track of consumables and limit users to the AD group only.

Edit: It occurs to me that my above comment is obvious. What I mean is that we should probably plan to not open the use of the printers to members until an appropriate solution to this is found.

4 Likes

We discussed that too and are all in agreement there. Initial consumables is in the pre request so we can do training modules and train the trainer but we need to wait for floors

Good news everyone, floors are coming to a makerspace near you soon

5 Likes

Will they install the vinyl too :joy:

1 Like

That printer uses HPGL/2, not PostScript.

I don’t mean to be totally rectal, but the color will be insanely bad, until somebody “footprints” it, and sets-up an ICC profile. I have some software/keys which can do this trick. When it goes online, we should try to footprint/target a profile.

1 Like

hmmm … lets buy 3 … :smiley:

I’d love to, but it looks like those particular ones are in the $50K+ range. It’d be super cool to have a smaller one.

I wonder how much of that overlaps with Dye Sub. But ya, we got big dreams for what will replace the donated ones eventually

I delivered the 24 inch HP widebed printer today (Sunday). It is now located in the Expansion Office. I will start using it for our Engineering drawings. The 44 inch HP widebed printer is still in indoor storage at my house. Just waiting for the go shead to deliver it to DMS, no hurry.

1 Like

I went over to Reece Supply on Friday to ask them about printers, and they actually recommend a UV printer for our use case. The model they pointed to specifically runs around $20k.

Pulls out roll of bills😂

@Edenblue is collecting volunteers and making plans for flooring (I believe the planned install weekend is the 13th), and as soon as that is installed we can start moving CA stuff into New CA.

I’d prefer it if @Hardsuit and the WFP SIG could determine an effective solution for limiting usage to the AD group before we move the printer onsite, but if it becomes a hassle to you let me know and we’ll adjust in order to move it onsite.

1 Like